Should some station change their name suffixs?

N-Trizzy2609

Some trains station in the NYC Subway have some misleading signs. I know MTA has be renaming some stations but they REALLY need to rename some stations.

Examples:

Beach 98th Street-Playland Playland is long gone and so should that sign.

Grand Avenue-Newtown While it's the name of the neighborhood but it REALLY doesn't need to be there.

Morrison-Soundview Avs The name is so long, it can barley fit on signage. Just drop either Morrison or the Soundview.

Nereid Avenue-238th Street Same rules apply from above.

40th Street-Lowery The Lowery is no longer needed.

Pretty much all (7) and Rockaway Park (S) need to drop the second names.

Bushwick Ave-Aberdeen Street Why not just leave at Bushwick. Aberdeen is still a half a block away. No need to keep it.

(MTA) use to have the terminals for example, by the towns name, like Forest Hills, Wakefield, Van Cortland Park, South Ferry and so, but they then decided to add street names to the end:

Forest Hills- 71st Avenue

Wakefield- 241st Street

Van Cortland Park - 242nd Street

South Ferry- Whitehall Street

etc.... Unlike Railroads which uses the town names, like MNCR, SIR, LIRR, etc..

Im guessing t/a added street names to help passengers get to understand where there getting off. I guess.

40th St-Lowery St and all the stations along the Queens Blvd Viaduct will most likely stay because they were restored as part of a historical move in 2004, I think.

Morrison-Soundview Avs has now become the Morrison Av-Soundview station. That was just changed, so I don't think that's going anywhere.

Nereid Av-238th St, depends. 238th St is now only recognized as Nereid Av on the street signs, and Dianne on the (2) only announces "Nereid Av."

Rockaway Stations, I think they should go, but maybe they should stay because of the historical names that they once had.

I personally think that Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av should lose the JFK Airport and simply announce a transfer to the Airtrain which can take people to JFK. But that's just me, and I know the MTA's not going to do that because it's apparently helpful. That station name is just too long to announce on (J)/(Z) trains.

I personally think that Sutphin Blvd-Archer Av should lose the JFK Airport and simply announce a transfer to the Airtrain which can take people to JFK. But that's just me, and I know the MTA's not going to do that because it's apparently helpful. That station name is just too long to announce on (J)/(Z) trains.

I was also going to suggest that. It's nowhere near JFK, the AirTrain even need to travel a mile in a half to get there!!

I was also going to suggest that. It's nowhere near JFK, the AirTrain even need to travel a mile in a half to get there!!

It's really confusing, adding a moniker that doesn't even apply to the station itself. Instead, the announcements should say that a passenger can connect to the AirTrain to JFK Airport. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some foreigner got on the (J) train at Broadway Junction with a junkload of luggage and asked, "Does this train stop at Terminal 1?"

So you want the TA to spend money to change all these signs. I'm sure Beach 98th Street- Playland is not a station used by tourists and those who do use it are problibly not confuzed by it. There is no reson to have the names of the stations changed and it would be a waste of money. There is no reson to do this, keep the historical names.

So you want the TA to spend money to change all these signs. I'm sure Beach 98th Street- Playland is not a station used by tourists and those who do use it are problibly not confuzed by it. There is no reson to have the names of the stations changed and it would be a waste of money. There is no reson to do this, keep the historical names.

If anything the MTA can just paste a sticker over the sign, like they always do.

It's really confusing, adding a moniker that doesn't even apply to the station itself. Instead, the announcements should say that a passenger can connect to the AirTrain to JFK Airport. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some foreigner got on the (J) train at Broadway Junction with a junkload of luggage and asked, "Does this train stop at Terminal 1?"

So by that logic, why not remove JFK from Howard Beach? After all, the (A) doesn't go to JFK. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some foreigner got on the (A) train at Broadway Junction with a junkload of luggage and asked, "Does this train stop at Terminal 1?" ;)

If anything the MTA can just paste a sticker over the sign, like they always do.

Which requires them to screen and print a sticker, pay someone to put it up, pay someone to periodically inspect it, and pay someone else to replace it every time something gets vandalized?

How come most of the threads here the last two months are people "thinking they can do it better?" If you think you can do it better, apply for a job at (MTA), and good luck, but posting it here isn't going to do anything.

What ever happened to the threads about people's riding adventures, interesting things that happened in the system, or historical reflections? Or are we just doomed to sit in a spiral of fantasy maps and wishful thinking?

So by that logic, why not remove JFK from Howard Beach? After all, the (A) doesn't go to JFK. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some foreigner got on the (A) train at Broadway Junction with a junkload of luggage and asked, "Does this train stop at Terminal 1?" ;)

It makes for sense for Howard Beach to keep the "JEF Airport" siffix because it's situated right by the airport. MTA signs are often misleading; the fact that having JFK Airport in the Sutphin Boulevard name makes no sense because JFK is nowhere near the area. And like I said earlier, just have the R160 (J) and (Z) say that one can connect to the AirTrain to JFK Airport. It's that simple.

Which requires them to screen and print a sticker, pay someone to put it up, pay someone to periodically inspect it, and pay someone else to replace it every time something gets vandalized?

How come most of the threads here the last two months are people "thinking they can do it better?" If you think you can do it better, apply for a job at (MTA), and good luck, but posting it here isn't going to do anything.

What ever happened to the threads about people's riding adventures, interesting things that happened in the system, or historical reflections? Or are we just doomed to sit in a spiral of fantasy maps and wishful thinking?

I'd have to agree with you here because people come up with the craziest ideas, but there are some that I have come to agree with because they actually might improve service. That is what everyone wants, right? An improved transit system. But people will harshily retaliate that the MTA is in the toilet right now and their ideas will forever remain ideas. But I wouldn't be surprised if people at this exact forum fought for (G) service to be expanded to Church Avenue.

Not to mention that looks incredibly tacky and is totally useless.

I love the fact that there are so many stations that have been around so long, the areas have evolved beyond their original names. With respect to Grand Ave - Newton, I think the neighborhood should be in the name. If you don't live in Queens and are riding under QBL, there are no visual references.

Think about this, too... the (MTA) added the neighborhood name to stations further down such as 63rd Drive - Rego Park, and Van Wyck Blvd - Briarwood. Although the signs saying "Briarwood" at the VWB station look much more authentic than the modern helvetica-text signs on the wall at 63rd Drive. As we all know, Van Wyck Blvd. is now the expressway, but "updating" the name would be silly, the station was there first and has taken on an identity of it's own. I also love how the Woodhaven Blvd. QBL station says "Slattery Plaza" still on the tiles, although the map says "Queens Mall."

I dunno, no reason to really change most station names, although doing a single alteration to any of the almost century-old tiling in some stations would be a crime. Although if the (MTA) wants to slap an add-on, they need to make it look like the Briarwood/VWB station.

As for taking out the Playland out at Beach 98th, I'm with you on that one, haha... When (or if) the (MTA) gets around to overhauling some of those stations, the name should be dropped. Playland isn't relevant anymore, and it's not a historic station by any means. You aren't altering anything except for fairly new signs and a map. By the same token, the "Rockaway Park" at the end of that line is very relevant, and shouldn't be changed.

I'd have to agree with you here because people come up with the craziest ideas, but there are some that I have come to agree with because they actually might improve service. That is what everyone wants, right? An improved transit system. But people will harshily retaliate that the MTA is in the toilet right now and their ideas will forever remain ideas. But I wouldn't be surprised if people at this exact forum fought for (G) service to be expanded to Church Avenue.

But that's the point. What people post here has no relationship to what actually gets done. Service changes are not made because people post them on the internet. Making a post saying "so and so should do this" is one of the least effective things that can be done to try and make the idea happen...a close second behind doing absolutely nothing.

And while an improved transit system is the goal, the (MTA) is short on money and while it's able to move financing around in the short term, in the long term it's harder especially if this recession doesn't turn around (and yes we are still in a recession for the foreseeable future). Part of ideas is timing too. These grand line expansions and minor signage frivolity's will have little effect in the current situation.

Like I said in my original post, I know that the MTA is not going to do it. No way they're going to remove JFK from Sutphin Blvd right now. Nah, nothing should change until there is ample reason to do so. When there is, then they can implement our ideas if they wanted to ONLY. Until then, we'll just keep them in our heads.

Oh, and Roku, on the new MTA system maps, the station name for Morrison-Soundview Avenues has become "Morrison Av-Soundview."

I noticed that the (G) trains' destination signs read "KENSNGTON/BKLYN" "CHURCH AV" following the extension to Church. I wonder if this means that Church Av will become "Kensington/Church Av" in line with most of the subway's other terminals.

Another tidbit: when the (N) was cut back to 86th Street during Coney Island reconstruction a few years ago, the station name officially became "Gravesend/86th St." However, years after Coney Island was reopened, the R160s' automated announcements still refer to the station as "Gravesend/86th St", despite the fact that 86th St isn't a terminal anymore.

I don't think that Sutphin should remove the "JFK" suffix. If it helps people locate the JFK Airtrain transfer station, which it seems to have done, then by all means let it alone.

Also, for "Van Wyck Blvd", some differentiation needed to be made once Jamaica-Van Wyck station opened; hence "Briarwood/Van Wyck".

I noticed that the (G) trains' destination signs read "KENSNGTON/BKLYN" "CHURCH AV" following the extension to Church. I wonder if this means that Church Av will become "Kensington/Church Av" in line with most of the subway's other terminals.

Another tidbit: when the (N) was cut back to 86th Street during Coney Island reconstruction a few years ago, the station name officially became "Gravesend/86th St." However, years after Coney Island was reopened, the R160s' automated announcements still refer to the station as "Gravesend/86th St", despite the fact that 86th St isn't a terminal anymore.

I don't think that Sutphin should remove the "JFK" suffix. If it helps people locate the JFK Airtrain transfer station, which it seems to have done, then by all means let it alone.

Also, for "Van Wyck Blvd", some differentiation needed to be made once Jamaica-Van Wyck station opened; hence "Briarwood/Van Wyck".

The Gravesend part is needed because it could be mistaken for 86th Street on the (R). As far as the Kenesngton part is concerned, it is not on the same sign reading as Church Av so it is like the Bay Ridge reading on the (R) sign.

stations, especially terminals, are being slowly changed to reflect the neiborhoods they are in. The (G) now terminates in the Kensington section of brooklyn. The (6) serves the edge of Soundveiw at Morrison ave. and as far as Sutphin, well, the airtrain provides a 10 minute ride to the airport. and adding JFK to its name lets riders know that not only is there a new option to JFK, its also a hell of alot quicker than taking the (A).

as far as Rockaway stations, living out there for almost 2 decades, the only ones that are still acurate are, Rock Pk-116, 36-edgemere, 25-wavecrest and Far Rock-Mott ave. PLayland is not only long gone, but there are houses there now. I personally use "B44-Frank Ave" ive never seen a Frank ave anywhere in rockaway. lol

same on the (7). but as long as the current street names are there, its not a major importance as say "Kensington" on the (G). Church ave is a long ave.

Then theres Briarwood-Van Wyck, whis is one stop away from Jamaica-Van Wyck. and so on.... lol

The Gravesend part is needed because it could be mistaken for 86th Street on the (R).

There are plenty of stations that share names -- what about the numerous "Bay Pkwy" or "Kings Hwy" stations, for example? Those don't have neighborhood prefixes.

As far as the Kenesngton part is concerned, it is not on the same sign reading as Church Av so it is like the Bay Ridge reading on the (R) sign.

My question was whether or not they'd officially change the name of the station on maps and signs, as they have done with other terminal stations to varying degrees (Lower East Side/2nd Av station is an example of a station name being changed on maps and train destination signs only, as the station signs only read 2 Av.)

well once your at 2nd ave you know your there. but when you board a train that says its terminating on 2nd ave, the question becomes "Where on 2nd Ave?" oh, the train and map says "Lower east side".

sometimes an overall name change would just make thing simple.

remember what broadway Junction was called years ago? It had 3 names depending on what line you were on.

(A)(C)-Broadway East New York

(L)-Broadway Junction

(J)(Z)-Broadway Eastern Pkwy

now its all Broadway Junction and one could easily tell all of those trains stop at the same stop there.

I thought the (J)(Z) station was just "Eastern Parkway"? Seeing as it ran along Broadway for its route.

(I could be wrong)

I think it used to be Broadway/ East New York (1941 map). But a 1931 map does have it as Eastern Parkway.

I think it used to be Broadway/ East New York (1941 map). But a 1931 map does have it as Eastern Parkway.

The (A)/© portion of the station used to be called Broadway-East New York. I think the (J)/(Z) portion was called Eastern Pkwy due to an exit being open there once.

on maps it was called Broadway-Eastern Parkway. im assuming it was to try to show that all 3 lines stopped there. but now its all Broadway Junction. which IMO is perfect cause thats what it truley is, a junction.

At one point it was also "Manhattan Junction" despite being in Brooklyn

Archived