Photos from my City Trip earlier this week

http://picasaweb.google.com/lilbluefoxie/NYCTripJuly72009#

Its not all Trains however, theres some stuff in there from my trip to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens.

I wanted to get photos of the maps from (4) and (L) but I was running out of time, and I didnt get a chance to get on the R32 (C) line, Ill make a note of it for next time :D

then how do you suggest getting non-blurry shots in the underground stations, keep in mind I have a decent camera with image stabilzation and manual controls, I suppose I could try holding it as steady as possible while balancing it on a column, but what if there aint no columns?

Crank up the ISO & open up the lens. I see you have a Canon S5...point and shoots have the exceptional ability to have huge depth of field even at large apertures. Just hold it steady and the best shots are taken when the train stops.

those were done at ISO 400, Do you know any particular stations that are good for subway photos? I think Stillwell-Coney Island looks like a good one, Marcy Ave I thought was nice on the last time I was in the city (I try to go once a month in summer). I had one at Penn I should add up there, of a blurry 3 train that I took without the flash. I love that camera but the flash is the weakpoint on it, its manually operated, and it takes a while to charge up, i missed a few photos that way, but Im gunna do it without the flash next time Im there.

Stillwell is a foamers paradise. I like the elevated stations the most (my camera is noisy above ISO 400). I'll refrain from telling you "where" to shoot; but i'll pose the following question: what do you want to convey in your photos?

I like taking a photo as they are coming into the station, Like this photo

IMG_2794.JPG

the other stuff I was trying to take pictures off, like those route maps in the 142 and 143s is pretty easy because its well lit.

I also want to get a decent photo of those LED rings around the (7) side signs. I tried doing it in 42nd St Station but it came out oddly. I would have got out at Woodside but the train I took into the city skipped it. I'd like to get a good photo of it like the ones in teh wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R62A_(New_York_City_Subway_car)

All i do is set spot metering, ISO 800, or 1600, pick the proper white balance for the location. Once zoom is selected, position attained, i usually get about 3-4 shots on burst mode, or i go for a single shot. Outside is much easier than inside.

- A

Crank up the ISO & open up the lens. I see you have a Canon S5...point and shoots have the exceptional ability to have huge depth of field even at large apertures. Just hold it steady and the best shots are taken when the train stops.
I use a Canon S5 IS too. Yes I agree, that you should use a lower aperature and also a smaller shutter speed as well as low ISO (80-200 is good and clear enough) can improve shots.

Hmm try shutter priority mode. my pics usually come out pretty good with it.

I use ISO 100-400, f/2.8 (4.5 at the most) and a -0.3 EV (exposure value). That's what I use for the underground pics. I dont like setting the ISO too high because I just hate the noise.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb274/Hypie21/3398.jpg

That's usually the result. (click on link for full size image.)

Archived