(2) Things to know for the IRT (2)/(3)

mark1447

Only 2 things I have, better then making two topics:

These were things that I saw when heading to the Bronx at 116th St/Malcolm X this afternoon

1: I notice that the (2) train has a new White Plains Rd Exp mixed with the 7th Ave exp:

R142 LED Reads:

(2) | FLATBUSH AVE

(2) | BRONX- 7TH AVE EXP

(2) | EASTERN PKWY LCL(Or EASTERN PARKWAY LCL) forgot

Similar to the (5) during AM peak which insteas has (5) | BRONX- LEX AVE EXP

I dunno if this is new, but i never seen it, only seen (2) | BRONX EXPRESS.

BTW this was set due to General Order detour from 180th to the hub- 149th today

2: If you are looking for the (3) with the non- bucket seat, the flat seats there I say, the car number is #1587, I think #1586 had it too cant remember but #1587 yes

Yes, when the (2) goes via Southern Blvd EXP, it does show "Bronx-7 Av EXP." Saw that when this G.O. happened last. They all display "Eastern Pkwy Lcl." Now, the <4> Pilot EXP is the only program that doesn't display "Bronx-(Manhattan Trunk Line) EXP," but simply "Bronx EXP" when it goes express in the Bronx as well as Manhattan.

And the R62s with flat seats are 1587-1590. Thanks for the info.

Yes, when the (2) goes via Southern Blvd EXP, it does show "Bronx-7 Av EXP." Saw that when this G.O. happened last. They all display "Eastern Pkwy Lcl." Now, the <4> Pilot EXP is the only program that doesn't display "Bronx-(Manhattan Trunk Line) EXP," but simply "Bronx EXP" when it goes express in the Bronx as well as Manhattan.

And the R62s with flat seats are 1587-1590. Thanks for the info.

I dunno why people say Southern Blvd Exp, its Southern Bkvd is only Freeman and 174th St. But I guess it seems ok as Westchester Avenue is more like the Main St for the (6)..

As for the (3) train, thank you for telling me :P . But i thought it was 1 car with this?

I dunno why people say Southern Blvd Exp, its Southern Bkvd is only Freeman and 174th St. But I guess it seems ok as Westchester Avenue is more like the Main St for the (6)..

As for the (3) train, thank you for telling me :P . But i thought it was 1 car with this?

I use Southern Blvd personally. I know that it's known as the "Bronx Thru EXP," as seen on the <5> redbird signs. Those R62s, I believe they either came like that, or had those seats put in at an early stage, because as long as I can remember, they've had bench seating.

I use Southern Blvd personally. I know that it's known as the "Bronx Thru EXP," as seen on the <5> redbird signs. Those R62s, I believe they either came like that, or had those seats put in at an early stage, because as long as I can remember, they've had bench seating.

When were these benches installed? During Delivery? they should of expanded it, its better then using a bucket which cant fit most of the person sizes, like fat people (No offense to those who are tho =/)

When were these benches installed? During Delivery? they should of expanded it, its better then using a bucket which cant fit most of the person sizes, like fat people (No offense to those who are tho =/)

I can't honestly say I know, maybe one of our veterans can answer that. But, I agree, the bucket seats don't go over well for some, especially during rush hour. I can't tell you how happy I was when they ran that 1586-1590 set on the (3) shuttle from New Lots to Utica one weekday. No more squishing into those bucket seats for me...

I can't honestly say I know, maybe one of our veterans can answer that. But, I agree, the bucket seats don't go over well for some, especially during rush hour. I can't tell you how happy I was when they ran that 1586-1590 set on the (3) shuttle from New Lots to Utica one weekday. No more squishing into those bucket seats for me...

Hell yeah this is why on the R44 though R68A no one sits down when the seats are crowded and there are few gaps between people. not enough room and unconformable seating. I wish the (MTA) had money to spend on replacing the aging seats rather then cover them up with a blue sticker (or what ever its called)

Cars 1586-90 were modified due to passenger complaints about the bucket seats. IIRC the whole R62 fleet was supposed to get the same treatment but that went by the wayside.

Cars 1586-90 were modified due to passenger complaints about the bucket seats. IIRC the whole R62 fleet was supposed to get the same treatment but that went by the wayside.

Wat yr was this started tho?

Wat yr was this started tho?

Back in late '83-early '84 when the R62 was still new and the R62A was starting to arrive. The seat problem was really noticeable that first winter when the bulky coats were put on. That's when the complaints started pouring in.

Back in late '83-early '84 when the R62 was still new and the R62A was starting to arrive. The seat problem was really noticeable that first winter when the bulky coats were put on. That's when the complaints started pouring in.

Ah kool. Im guessing right now there is no purpose of replacing the seats or though SMS?(When available)

Weren't the R44s and R46s rebuilt with bucket seats? Because the R62s were built in Japan, and obviously the people in Japan are much smaller than our fellow Americans. But people started complaining afterwards, and the R68s had them built as well. They never used them again.

Archived