Car Assignment Question

lilbluefoxie

I have a question about the car assignments from the 90s to today when the redbirds were retired.

From what I've read, the R62/62A were on the (1)(3)(4)(S) originally (perhaps on more of the lexington line, I dont know), and the (2)(5)(6)(7) had redbirds.

The R142 went onto the (2)(4)(5)(6) and then the remaining R62s from presumably the (4) were moved over to the (7). To me it seems like somethings not adding up. The (7) uses 11 car sets, I would think it uses more trains than the (4) since its busyier.

I think I might be mising something...

I have a question about the car assignments from the 90s to today when the redbirds were retired.

From what I've read, the R62/62A were on the (1)(3)(4)(S) originally (perhaps on more of the lexington line, I dont know), and the (2)(5)(6)(7) had redbirds.

The R142 went onto the (2)(4)(5)(6) and then the remaining R62s from presumably the (4) were moved over to the (7). To me it seems like somethings not adding up. The (7) uses 11 car sets, I would think it uses more trains than the (4) since its busyier.

I think I might be mising something...

The R62A was on the (6) and the (4) uses R62s

The R62As were on the 1 3 and 6

The R62s were on the 4.

Redbirds ran on the 2 4 5 6 and 7.

The R62A fleet from the 3(all singles) was sent to the 7 in its entirety, with the exception of a few cars retained on the 3 for pooled service with the shuttle. These cars were transferred from Livonia to Mosholu this winter, with one full train sent to the 1.

The R62A fleet from the 6(all sets) line was sent to the 1 3 and 7. The cars which were sent to the 3 were later transferred to the 1 or 7.

The R62 fleet from the 4 was sent to the 3 line in its entirety, although they can still pop up on the 4 from time to time.

There are some R62s that are singles and not five-car sets to make 11-car trains for the (7)/<7>. However, with the R188 order in the near future, the R142As on the (6)/<6> will go to the (7)/<7> for CBTC. It's most likely that the displaced R62As on the (7)/<7> might go to the (6)/<6> (and it'd make sense because the R62As from Corona have those Local/Express LEDs that differentiates a local from an express). But it's too soon to tell.

Note that during the years 2000-2004 due to the R142/As making it in, there were lots of changes in car assignments, so the things I'm saying below and others saying above is portion... There are more changes then these! There was a topic on this of course.

Here we go, before 2002 I shall Say, if Im correct:

(1)(3)(S) 42nd St: R62A

(2)(5)- Redbirds (Forgot the Revenue cars), Some R142s, R62As(5)

(4)- R62, Redbirds (Forgot the Revenue cars)

(6) - R62A, Redbird (R36ML) (Forgot some of Revenue cars), Some R142As

(7) - R33WF/R36WF [Redbird] , R62As some

Redbirds are : R26, R28, R29, R33WF/ML, R36WF/ML

Today its set like this:

(1)(7)(S)- R62A

(2)(4)(5) - R142

(4)(6) - R142A

(3) - R62

BTW there are NO r62s on the (4), so if any1 thinks sometimes it runs them, well you are mistaken. Last time was in March, now its June and there are none!

Other Car Assignments:

1983: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8740

1999: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2299

2001: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8766

2003: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8763

NYCS version by line: http://nycsubway.org/faq/lineassn.html

There are some R62s that are singles and not five-car sets to make 11-car trains for the (7)/<7>. However, with the R188 order in the near future, the R142As on the (6)/<6> will go to the (7)/<7> for CBTC. It's most likely that the displaced R62As on the (7)/<7> might go to the (6)/<6> (and it'd make sense because the R62As from Corona have those Local/Express LEDs that differentiates a local from an express). But it's too soon to tell.

Ok can we plz not bring up the CBTC thing cuz this will turn into another R188 problem, leave that for when its time, in the next few yrs, lets keep thinsg today and before..

(1) (and (9)) - R62A the whole time (cars weren't really assigned to the (1) or (9) they could run as either just like the (J)(Z))

(2) used to be redbirds, became R142

(3) used to be R62A became R62

(4) used to be R62 and redbirds, became R62/R142/R142A, now it's just R142/R142A (note: if any of you say "R142S" note that is NOT an official designation of equipment as far as transit is concerned...)

(5) used to be redbirds, occasionally you'd see an R62A (5), now it's all R142

(6) used to be R62A and redbirds, now it's all R142A

(7) used to be all redbirds, now it's all R62A

(S) R62A

SubwayGuy, the last 80 R142A's were designated as R142S when the TA placed the order. At the present, there are just basically additional R142A's that were need to maintain service on the (4).

I am aware of that. But ask any RCI what an R142S is and they will just tell you it's an R142A. No one except buffs who are trying to show off useless knowledge uses that designation, and since I am not one of those people, I don't use that designation either. No one I've ever talked to in TA land uses it either.

It makes you wonder if they will retrofit the R142s going to the (7) with multicolored LEDs in front and on the sides to recreate the green circle, red diamond of the R62

Thats not necessary because the LED Sign in the front of the train have the ability to create Diamonds. Current uses are with the <6> train.

I am aware of that. But ask any RCI what an R142S is and they will just tell you it's an R142A. No one except buffs who are trying to show off useless knowledge uses that designation, and since I am not one of those people, I don't use that designation either. No one I've ever talked to in TA land uses it either.

lol thats true, there is no R142S thats just an extra order of the R142A. Similar to the R160A-1/A-2s there is no such thing, but additional orders..

btw whats an RCI?

Ok can we plz not bring up the CBTC thing cuz this will turn into another R188 problem, leave that for when its time, in the next few yrs, lets keep thinsg today and before..

Yeah you're right, forget I even mentioned it, sorry.

The R142S is much like the R32A and R40A. The designations R32A and R40A have not been used for anything since delivery.

The R160A-1 and R160A-2 are much different. These designations exist only on railfan documents. (They are great for the purpose of differentiating two fleets which are functionally quite different.)

Ironically, R160B-1 and R160B-2 are actual designations which nobody seems to use. I am sure you all can guess what an R160B-1 is vs an R160B-2.

The R142S is much like the R32A and R40A. The designations R32A and R40A have not been used for anything since delivery.

The R160A-1 and R160A-2 are much different. These designations exist only on railfan documents. (They are great for the purpose of differentiating two fleets which are functionally quite different.)

Ironically, R160B-1 and R160B-2 are actual designations which nobody seems to use. I am sure you all can guess what an R160B-1 is vs an R160B-2.

There is no such thing as R142S bro, thats just 80(I think( supplement orders of the R142A. Its just an R142A.

just like R160A-1/2 its just an R160A with extra orders same as R160B1/2

maybe its cause im getting old, but to me, theres the R142, and then theres the R142. One Kawasaki and one Bombardier. We all know what we mean. simple is better sometimes. 142? 142A? 142S? 142lmnop? all that extra useless "Cliff Claven from 'Cheers'" knowledge would just get someone flunked outta schoolcar! LOL

maybe its cause im getting old, but to me, theres the R142, and then theres the R142. One Kawasaki and one Bombardier. We all know what we mean. simple is better sometimes. 142? 142A? 142S? 142lmnop? all that extra useless "Cliff Claven from 'Cheers'" knowledge would just get someone flunked outta schoolcar! LOL

R142A (the Kawasaki cars) is used as an official designation by transit because the cars have enough significant mechanical differences to make knowing the difference important to Car Equipment Dept. who have to inspect, service, and replace defective parts, which are different from those on the "regular" R142 (Bombardier). R142S is NOT an official designation because the cars covered under that contract are 100% identical to R142A's, so why bother adding an unnecessary layer of possible confusion.

of course! the "A" shows which manufacture built it so proper maintenance can be performed. right down to the truck frames and bolsters.

but like i said. one's Kawasaki and the other is Bombardier. I dont work for the (MTA). so i keep it simple. never heard of no "S". i know there was an option order with Kawasaki. So as you stated, Pay attention people, its R142A. no S.:tup:

of course! the "A" shows which manufacture built it so proper maintenance can be performed. right down to the truck frames and bolsters.

but like i said. one's Kawasaki and the other is Bombardier. I dont work for the (MTA). so i keep it simple. never heard of no "S". i know there was an option order with Kawasaki. So as you stated, Pay attention people, its R142A. no S.:tup:

I'll call them R-142S...why b/c of the car numbers. I know its a R-142A supplement order, but thats just me!

Presumably the former means Alstom propulsion cars and the other means Siemens cars. Only extremely obsessed railfans would use such designations.

Let's not turn this thread into a R160 thread.

As for the redbirds on the 2 and 5:

In March 1998, R33 ML went to the 2. The 5 was comprised of R26/R28/R29 ML. The 5 started to run some R33 ML, but the 2 was still entirely R33 ML. This pattern continued to the early 2000s, when the 2 and 5 began running R142s.

This site will give you a general documentation of car assignments from 1998: http://thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html

Someone said that the R142S is not an official designation. I have news for you: neither is R40M. But we use it anyway.

I have news for you...it's still not an official designation! Car equipment needs to know the difference between R40M and R40 slant such as for things as simple as replacing storm doors, or other car equipment related difference.

There is absolutely NO difference between R142A and R142S hence why it is not an official designation. Literally every bolt, screw, panel, and piece of equipment is 100% identical. Why people continue to insist this is a real designation when Car Equipment itself does not use it (obviously RTO doesn't either) is beyond me.

Archived