9400-9401 THEN And NOW

Where was the "then" picture taken? It reminds me of a scene along the LIRR near Shea Stadium station

Looks from here like he took that one standing near Corona Yd.

Looks to me like it was on the (7).

SubwayGuy's looks like it was in the yard.

The "then" pair is still in the yard, so technically they're both "now"...

I dont get it, dont they preserve the old numbers for the old cars, and use a new one for later cars, or are they recycled?

Have to be recycled. There must be a roster somewhere, and when a car is retired, they would strike the number from the roster, freeing it up to be assigned to a new car.

Have to be recycled. There must be a roster somewhere, and when a car is retired, they would strike the number from the roster, freeing it up to be assigned to a new car.

So what happens when the order surpasses 9999??? Will they have to go into 10000?! I'm sure that the numbers will be recycled, but I'm just throwing the question out there.

So what happens when the order surpasses 9999??? Will they have to go into 10000?! I'm sure that the numbers will be recycled, but I'm just throwing the question out there.

When it passes 9999 it will start at the 3000's most likely. By then the R32's will be retired (the highest R160 is going 9974). So if/when the R179 comes it will start in the 3000's.

When it passes 9999 it will start at the 3000's most likely. By then the R32's will be retired (the highest R160 is going 9974). So if/when the R179 comes it will start in the 3000's.

Yeah. I don't think the subway is big enough to hold 10,000 cars. Besides, I don't think there are any revenue cars with numbers fewer than four digits. If necessary, they can go into those first.

What about under number 3000? Like lets say starting a 0 lol

What about under number 3000? Like lets say starting a 0 lol

I don't think they will use less than 4 numbers. However the arnines use 3 digit numbers. And before GOH, the R44 and R46 used 3 digit numbers.

But why would they go there by the time the r160 order is complete numbers 2476-5000 will be unused, so why would they go for less than 4 digit numbers?

I don't think they will use less than 4 numbers. However the arnines use 3 digit numbers. And before GOH, the R44 and R46 used 3 digit numbers.

But why would they go there by the time the r160 order is complete numbers 2476-5000 will be unused, so why would they go for less than 4 digit numbers?

I guess your right, going less also means not enough numbers for car orders of over 1,000

But the SIR of course does use 3 digits, I think around 3xx..

Archived