Amtrak to Florida?

Tracknut

A friend of mine wants to take a bus to Florida and I told him to take a train. He said he doesnt trust trains with all this terrorism going on. I told him he could die on a bus just as easily.

How safe is the infrastructure of Amtrak on the NEC and the eastern seaboard?

I say amtrak's NEC is one of the most safest around because it does have some many safety features,yes terroism is a threat,but do you really think they would go after a single train, and what are the chances of his train of being the one to get hit. In every other respect amtrak is still one of the safest lines I know of. I.E. if the train goes to far over the speed limit it breaks automaticlly, unlike some of the local commuter routes, and then all the trains behind it will be diverted around it or will just have to wait for it to get moving again.

However this is just mostly my opinion.

• 1 month later...

I take Amtrak to Florida every year it is most enjoyable and the crew on most of these trains are very helpful, the food is great and the passengers are quite friendly. It wil take about 23 hours from NYC to Florida more hours to Miami which is the last stop. But I say go for it.

Bob

I take Amtrak to Florida every year it is most enjoyable and the crew on most of these trains are very helpful, the food is great and the passengers are quite friendly. It wil take about 23 hours from NYC to Florida more hours to Miami which is the last stop. But I say go for it.

Bob

That must a nice long ride. I've been to Florida on plane but not by train. Do you ride a sleeper car or coach car?

Bob

I know you're getting a sleeper car for a 23 hour trip.

I heard them sleeper cars can get really expensive.

Its a sleeper car. It is expensive cause of its luxury, and since its such a long trip......

There's nothing luxurious about a plain old sleeper car. I'm talking about a roomette sleeper car not a deluxe. The roomettes alone are $700+ imagine a deluxe.

Greyhound from NY to Florida. I have done it when I was younger (NY to Orlando), both ways. I highly do not recommend it. That is the most uncomfortable ride you can have, and of course you will be funky as you reach your destination. The first time my mother took myself and my brother on the bus, it was suppose to be express (1 stop in Virgina, the next in Jacksonville, the last in Orlando) took 25 hours. No sleeper berths of course, just a semi-reclining seat. Flew back (Eastern Airlines). The second time was a round trip on the bus. This bus was local and took 23 hours, go figure. The last time I went to Florida, we drove 18 hours.

If your friend wants to use ground transportation, the train would be best, but far more expensive. My advise, Jet-Blue.

Archived