NJ Transit GP40FH-2 locomotives Retired?

Eric Kreszl

Those are the strange looking GP40's?

GP40FH-2 locomotives have the convential GP40-2 Cabs but they have the bodies of the F45 or F40PH-2 locomotives.

Here are some photos.

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=477188

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=772644

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=889874

http://erickreszl.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=739809

Eric

P.S. I have photographed all of the NJ Transit GP40FH-2 locomotives except 4130-4134 which were sent out to be rebuilt into switchers to replace the SW1500 yard locomotives.

Well, your on the right track, it is a rumor at the moment. Not totally official but NJT has been trying to for some time. Now, it would be a big mistake getting rid of these, but they were already willing to make a few of them switchers already, then they are getting ready to just retired the rest of them.

We'll find out soon though. Once the Raritan Valley Line is electrified, then those locos are definately gone.

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to offer my opinion about the GP40FH-2 locomotives. The one thing I love about these locomotives is that they are different from anything else out there and they combine the exact opposite of a widecab diesel locomotive. The main reason NJ Transit ordered the locomotives from the beginning back in 1987 was because NJ Transit needed more motive power as they had just acquired the Atlantic City Line from Amtrak and the NJCL was not electrified to Long Branch NJ at the time. The NJCL Catenary extention was not completed untill 1988 I beleive. You also have to remember that the locomotive history of the GP40FH-2 locomotives themselves are quite extensive as well.

Eric

• 2 years later...
Talk about severe grave-digging.....

You think they should only be put on protection & yard service? 4141 i think will be the very last in any kind of service, it sounds good, the wheels, trucks, brakes etc are in good shape.

The main faring from the rebuild is showing severe signs of age on the other (NJT) units, including what looks like fire damage on the rear by the ladder on the one (forget which), if they do get scrapped, i think the prime movers get rebuilt & sold, cabs chopped off & used for heavy repair/rebuild on other units in freight service, trucks salvage anything you can, wheels reworked & the rest go to recycling for $, anything that can be re-used on the current fleet of geeps keep for future use.

My own personal hope is that they are made into additional MOW/protection power for (NJT) and :septa:. The (MTA) ones have a bit of life left in them obviously, not sure bout the ones leased to AMT. With (NJT) expanding service that will effectively double their rail footprint in 10 years, they will need these additional locos.

- A

You think they should only be put on protection & yard service? 4141 i think will be the very last in any kind of service, it sounds good, the wheels, trucks, brakes etc are in good shape.

The main faring from the rebuild is showing severe signs of age on the other (NJT) units, including what looks like fire damage on the rear by the ladder on the one (forget which), if they do get scrapped, i think the prime movers get rebuilt & sold, cabs chopped off & used for heavy repair/rebuild on other units in freight service, trucks salvage anything you can, wheels reworked & the rest go to recycling for $, anything that can be re-used on the current fleet of geeps keep for future use.

My own personal hope is that they are made into additional MOW/protection power for (NJT) and :septa:. The (MTA) ones have a bit of life left in them obviously, not sure bout the ones leased to AMT. With (NJT) expanding service that will effectively double their rail footprint in 10 years, they will need these additional locos.

- A

The AMT plans on returning the NJT units later this year or in early 2011 when new DM locos start arriving and more leased power from Titan F40's and F59PH's.

The AMT plans on returning the NJT units later this year or in early 2011 when new DM locos start arriving and more leased power from Titan F40's and F59PH's.

Ah, ok. I hope all of the FH-2's are rebuilt as work locos so the next generation of railfans can enjoy them too, even if they look a bit different! :cool:

I've seen both the rebuilt units & the current pax units & i gotta say they along with the conrail geeps have a potentially quite long future in passenger rail operations, even if they are sidelined to work duty.

- A

Archived