R16, R27, R30s?

DJ MC

I went to the nycsubway.org website and it states some of these cars are still operational is this actually true? I heard some of the R16s were trouble because of their weight. Plus I think the R16s were retired a little to early.

The R16s retired prematurely because they were extremely heavier than other subway cars of its time, not to mention that they gave a lot of trouble in the transit system, mainly because their motors burnt out most of the time, and as a result, they couldn't go too fast. Oddly enough, the R46s were supposed to replace the R16s but they gave more trouble so the R16s came back into service for a short time. The R16s ran in service from 1955 through 1987, only 32 years old, when the life expectancy for a subway car is 40 years on average.

The R16s retired prematurely because they were extremely heavier than other subway cars of its time, not to mention that they gave a lot of trouble in the transit system, mainly because their motors burnt out most of the time, and as a result, they couldn't go too fast. Oddly enough, the R46s were supposed to replace the R16s but they gave more trouble so the R16s came back into service for a short time. The R16s ran in service from 1955 through 1987, only 32 years old, when the life expectancy for a subway car is 40 years on average.

The R46s were only meant to replace the GE R16s b/c debris would often ignite in their cooling grids. The R68s on the other hand replaced the WH R16s in 1987. Also, the WH R16s weighed much more than the GE R16s.

Archived