5 Dumb kids get killed by a train

Messino

Here is one of the dumbest things I have read, there are problems on so many levels, the first one is the parents are not parents at all or are very bad at it to say the least. Then they are focusing on this 14 year old girl who was in the car with her 17 year old boyfriend and a 19 year old and a 21 year old. What is a 14 year old doing staying out all night and then driving around in a car full of older guys?

I tell ya its a shame they died but hey its not like we lost any academic scholars in this car.....Dumb parents = Dumberer kidzz

5 Young Lives Lost on Train Tracks

By DAVID RUNK and BEN LEUBSDORF,AP

CANTON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (July 10) - Fourteen-year-old Jessica Sadler wanted to go to the beach with her boyfriend on a warm summer day, but her mother said no, absolutely not. She had better come home or she would be in big trouble.

Jessica never made it home.

She and the four young men with her in a car were killed Thursday when the driver — a 19-year-old with a suspended license — sped around a lowered railroad crossing gate and past the flashing warning lights in an attempt to beat a train. The car was broadsided.

Tammy Sadler, who had been mad at her daughter for spending the night at a friend's house without calling to tell her, recalled her final conversation with Jessica, less than an hour before the wreck.

"She asked me what I was doing. I told her I was watching TV, told her she was going to be in trouble for not being here. She said, `Can I go to the beach?' I said no," Sadler said Friday, her voice breaking. "She said, `We'll just grab a bite to eat, then I'll be home,' and I said, `OK.' ... She didn't make it."

On a surveillance video released by police, the car never slowed as it approached the crossing about 20 miles west of Detroit. It drove right past a stopped SUV, just before the Amtrak train rushed through around 12:30 p.m.

Canton Township police awaited toxicology tests on the driver and the other victims, but spokesman Sgt. Mark Gajeski said: "There is no indication alcohol or anything else was involved other than bad judgment."

The young man behind the wheel, Dan Broughton, had a number of traffic violations on his record, including speeding and running a stop sign. His license had been suspended a day before the wreck for driving without carrying a license back in April.

Broughton's mother, Donna Broughton, told Detroit's WDIV-TV on Friday that she doesn't know "why he would think he could make it across."

"I'm sorry, and I feel the tragedy. And I wish I could tell them in person that I loved their kids," she said. "They were here all the time."

Friends and community members also wondered why Broughton didn't wait for the train to pass. But Barry M. Sweedler, a former senior director of the National Transportation Safety Board, said younger drivers are more likely to do foolish things when other young people are in the car.

"The evidence is very clear: The more young passengers, the higher the risk," Sweedler said.

Police and family members said the others killed were Eddie Gross, 17, of suburban Taylor; Sean Harris, 19, of Taylor and Detroit; and Harris' brother Terrence, 21, of Stafford, Va. Sadler, Gross and Sean Harris had attended high school together in the Detroit suburb of Taylor, and Sadler and Gross had been dating.

Sadler's family was moving to Wyandotte, a suburb southwest of Detroit, and was staying with relatives. The young people were heading toward that home, just blocks from the railroad crossing, when they were killed.

Tammy Sadler said her daughter wanted to be a veterinarian or work with newborns, and "was everybody's best friend — always happy."

Near a crash-site memorial consisting of flowers, farewell notes and a photo, 20-year-old Jake Bulmer said Friday that he had ridden a few times with Broughton.

"Not a reckless driver," Bulmer said. "He just didn't think all the time."

Phyllis Harris, the Harris brothers' grandmother, said she had warned Sean on Wednesday night not to get into a car with Broughton because they had gotten pulled over by police before.

Grief counseling was planned for Saturday at the victims' high school. And employees at a Kroger supermarket collected money in memory of their co-worker Broughton, who had just been promoted from bagger to stocker.

Police said the train, which was carrying about 170 people, typically travels 67 mph at the site of the crash. It slammed into Broughton's Ford Fusion and pushed it about a mile down the tracks. Police said the train was traveling within the speed limit.

No one aboard was injured.

I wouldnt call it "DUMB" especially for them dead. But they should of know better then passing a railroad grade crossing. When you hear that bell you stop, not go. Unless you are already next o the grade crossing and your still in moition so then you go. ONLY if your next to it.

And Jessica should of listened to her mother of course and not go with her bf.

Anyways RIP for them

Heres what his friend has to say about the driver

"Not a reckless driver," Bulmer said. "He just didn't think all the time."

I feel bad for the engineer, this guy had to go through this when it was no fault of his own and has to live with it.

Stupid

-You do not go around a RR crossing arm. The bells go off and gates come down for a REASON

-A train hitting a car is like a car running over a soda can. You do not want to be in that "soda can"

-14 year old girls should not have 17 year old boyfriends and be hanging out with 19 year olds

-19 year olds with suspended licenses should not be driving. Dumb***es like this are why insurance for the 18-25 bracket is so expensive even though many of us are actually VERY SAFE drivers

-The parents of ALL of these kids were neglectful because believe me no matter how much alcohol you pump into me (not saying this was related to this case, just saying) or how many teens you put in a car with me "peer pressuring me", when I was 19 you could not get me to drive in front of a train to win a game of chicken. Hell put Megan Fox next to me and have her offer me head in exchange for running the gates and as a 19 year old I probably would have said no because head ain't worth it if you're already dead!

If these kids didn't know what going around the gates meant that's on their lack of intelligence and their parents' parenting because that's something EVERYONE should know. (Un)common sense people!

-19 year olds with suspended licenses should not be driving. Dumb***es like this are why insurance for the 18-25 bracket is so expensive even though many of us are actually VERY SAFE drivers

That annoys me as well. Those careless d****bags who drive around like idiots make adults view my age group as irresponsible drivers, and if I want my own car, I'm gonna have to pay a lot of insurance. My dad has Triple-A, and by being part of it you get this automotive magazine. I often read it because I'm an automotive enthusiast. But, their writers tell parents not to trust their teen drivers because they're all reckless and whatever. That annoys me because they generalize all teens and young 20's people as careless drivers and irresponsible people.

Hell put Megan Fox next to me and have her offer me head...

MMMMMMMMM..... :P;):cool::cool:

The young man behind the wheel, Dan Broughton, had a number of traffic violations on his record, including speeding and running a stop sign.

By going around the crossing, once again he thought that the rules do not apply to him. His selfishness bought him, and his vicitms, an early coffin.

Another tragedies on tracks.

Why people doesn't under they can't beat the train in either car, bikes or by walking.

If Dan had suspensed lincence, Jessica should have call car service rathar than ridding with her friend with suspended lincence.

Lots of youtube videos has Railroad Crossing Safety. Dave should watch the video of Railroad Safety Issue.

-14 year old girls should not have 17 year old boyfriends and be hanging out with 19 year olds

That's the first thing that struck me while reading the article. Something's very wrong there.

As I'm another driver in that age bracket, I wholeheartedly agree.

I have no idea what you meant.

He meant dating a 14 year old gets you 30 years of prison time. 14 year olds shouldnt be "dating" or anything like that, all it is, is kids playing house.... Kids have no concept of real relationships until their late teens and early 20s and even then its just for fun because no one that young is in a position to get married unless you are wealthy, well grounded, have a good head on your shoulders and have realistic goals in life and have ways of reaching them.

Pretty Girls = Good. I think we all get the basic equation.

________

Anyways, I shed no tears. Don't call me heartless or anything, but these kids are dumb. I'm pretty damn sure that the railroad gates were visible when they were driving, but decided to be macho and beat the train. Well too bad. I hope the engineer knows that he was doing his job and he did nothing bad.

As for the girl, she didn't do the right thing either, but she didn't deserve that fate. Why was she in the car with them anyways? And did she know them? If they abducted her or something, then that's definitely horrible.

Archived