Rehab 42nd St TSQ Shuttle Station?

mark1447

This is ONLY for the 42nd St shuttle, please lets not get off topic with other lines and topics, thx

Anyways, my question is, when is the (MTA) gonna rehab the 42nd St TSQ part of the (S). Its most likely the only platforms needed for rehab in the entire 42nd st TSQ/PABT station. Which once thats done the (S) 42nd would be the only line to be entirely rehabbed..

Plus it would be nice to replace the gab fillers with the ones similer to Old South Ferry and 14th St USQ SB on IRT Lex, That way ADA can be possible..

I completely agree with you. It's the only part of the TSQ complex not rehabilitated. The only problem I see is that so many people use it for so much of the day, it would be hard to close it.

lol So we can force people to use the (7) or take the M104/42 :P . Kidden but they can use the (7) and those buses instead tho.

I usually walk vs shuttle. Gap fillers, i dunno, the station is kinda vital, the (7)<7> gets packed, and is not very tourist friendly. You can't get lost on the shuttle, it only has 2 stops. I just don't know. I mean it has to be done at some point, the whole (S) area reeks of "oh and theres that over there" at the end of a 2 hour speech on times square station. Gap fillers won't cut it, they need to totally re-do the platforms one at a time. They obviously have to keep the 7th ave connection, but how about re-do it into a classier & less 1930 industrial section of the subway. New railings would be nice too, but make sure you keep that sweet view down the local ((1),(9)) track. :cool:

- A

They obviously have to keep the 7th ave connection, but how about re-do it into a classier & less 1930 industrial section of the subway. New railings would be nice too, but make sure you keep that sweet view down the local ((1),(9)) track. :cool:

- A

If they were to do that, I'd like them to put some Contract-I like tilework and mosaics. I've inspected the entire shuttle area, and I could not find any of that artwork. I'd like to see something like this

img_11335.jpg

img_583.jpg

img_173.jpg

img_58296.jpg

img_106.jpg

img_11307.jpg

img_109.jpg

img_11308.jpg

I think you get the picture :P:cool:

No its not....I've walked from E. 42nd Street and 2nd Avenue to W. 42nd Street and 7th Avenue last Tuesday and it not that long of a walk!

Well it depends actually. Like if I'm I'm energetic and in a good mood, not in any rush (I usually like walking, esp. in Manhattan) then your right, its not that long. But if I'm tired and just got out of school with my 40 lb. backpack or I'm in a rush then it feels really long.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

There was supposed to be a new passageway to the 6th Av mezzanine as part of the new Bank of America tower, so whenever that is finished and connected to the TSQ complex, that might be part of a revitalization (they'll probably have to move some facilities built where the old building exit was). They have boarded up sections of wall in various places now, so maybe that might have something to do with it. But it looks like the connection is waiting on the (MTA) to get its infrastructure ready (you can see the other end of it next to the exit on 6th Av)).

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

There was supposed to be a new passageway to the 6th Av mezzanine as part of the new Bank of America tower, so whenever that is finished and connected to the TSQ complex, that might be part of a revitalization (they'll probably have to move some facilities built where the old building exit was). They have boarded up sections of wall in various places now, so maybe that might have something to do with it. But it looks like the connection is waiting on the (MTA) to get its infrastructure ready (you can see the other end of it next to the exit on 6th Av)).

So are you saying that Times Square will be linked to the Bryant Park Sixth Avenue Station?

I completely agree with you. It's the only part of the TSQ complex not rehabilitated. The only problem I see is that so many people use it for so much of the day, it would be hard to close it.

They could do it at night when the shuttle doesnt run

The plan as of a few years ago was to make the platforms straight and run 5-car R62A's as opposed to running Singles.

Yea then they would have to close the entire (S) for gd and demolish the current one, which could also play a G/O over at the IRT Broadway line and maybe the BMT Broadway as it runs over it..

When I was last there, it seemed to me there wasn't that much space to use, if the platforms were made straight, the curve was probably there for a reason...

Because the shuttle station was originally part of the original line, which curved and went uptown from there. It was called Longacre Square and was a local station. You can guess where I got that from.

Because the shuttle station was originally part of the original line, which curved and went uptown from there. It was called Longacre Square and was a local station. You can guess where I got that from.

Yea, I just read the same info lol. But the curve is actually not big, if it was to be straightened though, it would take up more space...

The curve is original to the station, moving or straightening it would have major impact on the topography above the station, including the stability of 1 times sq. I am going tomorrow and photographing the area in question. The curve on the far track used to be the end of the platform on that side. There is access to the street and mechanical area which is blocked off on that side.

I also believe there is a mechanical level below the triangle, the one point being the 7th ave end of the (S) platform the other point being at the end of the wall coming south from the (S) area, then connecting the end of that wall to the east end of the (S) platform. There are odd concrete panels, and those glass inserts that you find in the ceiling, one of the sets of inserts is on the far platform, and is obviously original to the station. Perhaps it's relating to the old newspaper presses or something, or the switch system, or transformers for the lights..... i'm not sure.

- A

The curve is original to the station, moving or straightening it would have major impact on the topography above the station, including the stability of 1 times sq. I am going tomorrow and photographing the area in question. The curve on the far track used to be the end of the platform on that side. There is access to the street and mechanical area which is blocked off on that side.

I also believe there is a mechanical level below the triangle, the one point being the 7th ave end of the (S) platform the other point being at the end of the wall coming south from the (S) area, then connecting the end of that wall to the east end of the (S) platform. There are odd concrete panels, and those glass inserts that you find in the ceiling, one of the sets of inserts is on the far platform, and is obviously original to the station. Perhaps it's relating to the old newspaper presses or something, or the switch system, or transformers for the lights..... i'm not sure.

- A

If anything, the middle track (track 3) should be extended further down the mezzanine to connect easily with the Lexington Avenue Line because that long walk annoys the heck outta me.

why would they rehabiltated 42 street shuttle (S) line.

42 street shuttle have been rehabiltated on 42 street grand central.

not 42 street time sqaure.

Thats correct. They rehabbed Grand Central but not Times Square. If you're asking why, I don't know. They're going to have to do it eventually.

So are you saying that Times Square will be linked to the Bryant Park Sixth Avenue Station?

Supposed to be. The Bank of America and Durst websites said it would. But then, they also said there would be an exit in the mid block arcade, and there's no sign of that yet. So hope it wasn't dropped from the plans.

Supposed to be. The Bank of America and Durst websites said it would. But then, they also said there would be an exit in the mid block arcade, and there's no sign of that yet. So hope it wasn't dropped from the plans.

Interesting...

I can just see it now...

(Queens bound (7) train)

5th Avenue. Transfer available to the (:)(D)(F)(V)(A)(C)(E)(N)(R)(Q)(W)(1)(2)...(pauses to take a breath)...(3)(S) and...(7)? train? Stand clear of the closing doors...

Interesting...

I can just see it now...

(Queens bound (7) train)

5th Avenue. Transfer available to the (:)(D)(F)(V)(A)(C)(E)(N)(R)(Q)(W)(1)(2)...(pauses to take a breath)...(3)(S) and...(7)? train? Stand clear of the closing doors...

Easy solution. Have an auction caller record the station stop and give tape recorders to all conductors to play when they reach 5th Avenue.

Archived