Radio Scanning - NYCTA

superdotny

Just out of curiosity, does anyone out there stream the radio stuff online for the NYCTA? I remember someone mentioning that might be illegal or something like that. Yet, the NYPD Special Division on Traffic is already online--http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1855

[[Of course...within domains and limits

Feed Providers are not allowed to broadcast:

* SWAT "type" operations if on dedicated channels or talkgroups

* Narcotics / CID / Investigations or other tactical operations

* Dedicated channels or talkgroups for Ambulance to Hospital Communications

* Dedicated Federal Government or Military Communications

RadioReference reserves the right to limit access to or disable broadcasts that the management feels not appropriate for the community. ]]

I used have scanners back in the day and would get the NYCT radio freqs and listen to them once in a while but there is not much radio traffic and when there is, it doesnt always get picked up because of signal strength, you can usually only hear whats going on if an elevated train is close to your house and if a train is in that station. You would probably have to be in the subway with the scanner to listen to the transmissions.

Which reminds me, is there any T/O or C/O who knows what those morse code beeps are for or what they mean that are always being broadcast on the NYCT radios?

That is the repeter system that bosts the signals of portables that crews carry. If you listen to FDNY and other channels you will hear the same thing.

You may want to check out if those below work, I found a really great and official page that showed all frequencies for the dept. of subways, but I can't find it. So here's the ones I have:

156.1050 Signals/Maintanence of Way

158.7750 Div B1 BMT Train-to-Dispatcher Simplex

158.8050 Div B1 BMT Train-to-Dispatcher Simplex

158.8800 Div A IRT Train-to-Dispatcher Simplex

160.3950 Coney Island Yard Tower A

160.4850 Staten Island RT Maintenance

160.8450 S. Brooklyn Railroad

160.8450 Yard IND BMT IRT

160.8750 Coney Island Yard BMT IND

160.8950 Coney Island Yard Tower B

161.0250 Coney Island Yard

161.1900 Div A IRT Subway Operations

161.5050 Div B1 BMT Subway Operations

161.5650 S. Brooklyn Railroad

161.5650 Div B2 IND Subway Operations

470.3875 Community Repeater -- Emergencies, Maintenance, Power

470.4375 Staten Island RT Command

470.4875 Maintanence of Way

161.19 Division A dispatcher-to-train (former IRT division)

158.88 Division A train-to-dispatcher

161.505 Division B1 dispatcher-to-train (former BMT division)

158.775 Disision B1 train-to-dispatcher

161.565 Division B2 dispatcher-to-train (former IND division)

158.805 Division B2 train-to-dispatcher

160.845 Yard IND BMT IRT

Found it! Here goes:

Frequency:

156.10500............... SIGNAL DEPT

160.84500............... YARD

161.19000............... IRT SUBWAY

161.50500............... BMT SUBWAY

161.56500............... IND SUBWAY

470.38750............... POWER SECTION

470.43750............... STATEN ISLAND RAILWAY

470.48750............... Maintenance of Way

It's not illegal to listen to the broadcasts if they aren't scrambled in such a way as to prevent you from listening. However, from what I gather, it is illegal to discuss what you hear.

Besides, think of it this way: let's say it was illegal to listen...how would anyone find out?

It's not illegal to listen in to radio frequencies unless they are encrypted and you are purposefully decrypting them. You can only use a radio that can listen to radio frequencies. It's illegal to own a radio that can receive and send radio frequencies to communicate unless you have a FCC license. It's illegal to have a scanner in a car and to use that scanner to commit crimes in the State of New York. It is perfectly legal to listen to the MTA radio channels since they are not encrypted.

even the FDNY, EMS and NYPD transmit unencrypted and have been for years. Scanners are not illegal at all and anyone can go to radio shack or any online supplier and buy one. I used to listen to stuff all night. It's like Julio said, you just cant use it to commit crimes. Alot of extremely important stuff that the NYPD or talks about isnt on the radios anymore either its via department issued cellphones.

Just make sure you don't buy a scanner that can transmit since it's illegal to have one unless you have a FCC amateur radio license. The FCC can and will track down those that transmit without licenses.

It's not illegal to listen to the broadcasts if they aren't scrambled in such a way as to prevent you from listening. However, from what I gather, it is illegal to discuss what you hear.

Besides, think of it this way: let's say it was illegal to listen...how would anyone find out?

Seeing you cant say what you hear. What if you head sumin lets say a terrorist act with sum1 that can be a problem to the whole city god forbid. So then we can say sumin, like the cops or sumin..

But its good to know its not illegal :)! Thanks!

Seeing you cant say what you hear. What if you head sumin lets say a terrorist act with sum1 that can be a problem to the whole city god forbid. So then we can say sumin, like the cops or sumin..

But its good to know its not illegal :)! Thanks!

If you heard a terrorist broadcasting on an (MTA) frequency the RCC and police would hear about it first and respond to it.

What, pray tell, would you find interesting in subway transmissions. I could see it if you had press credentials or were a first responder but most of it is mundane talk. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

When your summer job has you sit in a playground neat Coney Island for 8 hours a day, even the very little things amuse me. Plus, from my location I can hear whats going on on all the southern BMT and I can get both sides of the conversation.

Just make sure you don't buy a scanner that can transmit since it's illegal to have one unless you have a FCC amateur radio license. The FCC can and will track down those that transmit without licenses.

Scanners dont have transmit capabilities at all. All they can do is receive.

This would be called a transciever and in order to transmit you need to buy a specific radio that will only transmit on a specific band and not just anyone can buy one. You also need the correct input and output repeater codes and frequencies that are not as easy to obtain. You cant go out and buy a radio that will transmit on police or transit frequencies. You can however modify certain models of radios to do this but it is very expensive and illegal.

Archived