What Will the B Division Roster Look Like After all R160's are delivered?

Maserati7200

The G receiving R160s makes sense due to OPTO operation. But I think the priority is to put them on the E and F first, for CBTC.
I would think the CBTC would start on the (G) first, since it is more like the (L) and (7). The portion of the "(F)" it was said to be being installed on was always the Smith-9th portion, which is really where it shares the line with the (G), so perhaps that was how it was rumored that it would be the (F) to go CBTC next.

I think the Jamaica yard is going to get the R160Bs with the alstom propulsion in the second option order, while the Coney Island yard gets the other half of the R160Bs with siemens propulsion in the option 2 order.

All of them except for 32 for ENY are going to Jamaica.

Which R160B car numbers in the second option order are going to have alstom propulsion and siemens propulsion?

9803-9872 = Alstom

9873-9942 = Siemens

I would think the CBTC would start on the (G) first, since it is more like the (L) and (7). The portion of the "(F)" it was said to be being installed on was always the Smith-9th portion, which is really where it shares the line with the (G), so perhaps that was how it was rumored that it would be the (F) to go CBTC next.

I have to disagree with that. The L and 7 have their own tracks, while the G shares the northern Culver tracks with the F. In addition, the F would continue to use R46s after the R160 order is done. Even if you have OPTO on the G, the R46s on the F would still stir everything up.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I have to disagree with that. The L and 7 have their own tracks, while the G shares the northern Culver tracks with the F. In addition, the F would continue to use R46s after the R160 order is done. Even if you have OPTO on the G, the R46s on the F would still stir everything up.
Either way, the CBTC will be installed in an area where two lines run.But it still makes more sense to start with the lesser used, more isolated line first. If they run the CBTC on the (F) next, think of all the other lines it crosses, plus being so busy.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/CRB43) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Either way, the CBTC will be installed in an area where two lines run.But it still makes more sense to start with the lesser used, more isolated line first. If they run the CBTC on the (F) next, think of all the other lines it crosses, plus being so busy.

Agreed, although train times are not frequent as say, the F, and there is no "visible incentive" to put R160s on the G, but the bigger incentives are:

-The CBTC technology is still in test mode: Like Eric said, if something goes wrong, it won't cause great disruptions as say the F. If something happens along the F, it will tie up the E, V and the G, which in turn will start a series of chain reactions along the Div B system (depending on how serious the disruption is)

-The R160s have a better ability to run OPTO.

Oh, yea forgot the Rockaway (S). And once the R32's are gone, the (A)(C) would most likely fully share fleets to make things easier for service. So think the (C) may run R44's

Sorry I made the same post twice, and had mistakenly quoted the wrong post. See actual post below.

I think if the power issues get worked on in the rockaways, maybe 160's will go to the (A). But that's just me. I saw more 160 testing on the (A), but it doesnt mean anything.

So when will they fix these power issues? For the umpteenth weekend this year there was no (A) in the Rockaways today, just a shuttle running between Far Rock and Rock Park and a shuttle bus from the terminals to Howard Beach (which took 30 minutes, and the train at Howard Beach started 10 mins after I got there), meaning I left Howard Beach 50 minutes after getting to Beach 67th. For this kind of painful service changes, I hope these problems get fixed soon. The (MTA) simply doesn't seem to know what to do with the Rockaways (A) trains.

Whether or not the power issues are solved, there aren't any R160s likely on the (A). The ones you saw where only being tested at Broad Channel.

Ok, first of all, there are no power issues. That is just some lame excuse to prevent 160's from being on the (A) line. I have been on a 160 on the Rockaway flats. Guess what? There was zero issues with the 30-day acceptance test on both the R160 A and B's. Since the test was a success, why do people keep on saying that the (A) can't have 160's? I want everybody to answer me that question.

I agree 100%. The theory that the R160s can't go on the (A) train is false. If it was true, how come there aren't any (MTA) diesel trains to help guide the R160s when it moves up to Coney Island or Jamaica? I've seen numerous NTTs go through that section and they blow right past it with no visible problems.

I hate it when pplz lie over something stupid. But just like Concourse probaly Pitkin and 207th St yards isnt excepting R160s

Apparently Concourse didn't want the R160s (that's what another user said on a different thread; I do not know the specifics myself). I do not know if Pitkin or 207th was offered R160s.

So what could possibly be reasons for not using R160s on the (A)? Any chance (though it seems unthinkable) that they are prone to rusting from the salt-laden sea air at Jamaica Bay? The R40 slants didn't run on the (A) until nearing retirement for this reason. I would think modern cars would be made rust-resistant.

Apparently Concourse didn't want the R160s (that's what another user said on a different thread; I do not know the specifics myself). I do not know if Pitkin or 207th was offered R160s.

So what could possibly be reasons for not using R160s on the (A)? Any chance (though it seems unthinkable) that they are prone to rusting from the salt-laden sea air at Jamaica Bay? The R40 slants didn't run on the (A) until nearing retirement for this reason. I would think modern cars would be made rust-resistant.

I don't know who came up w/ that sorry & lame ass excuse w/ R160 can't run on the Rockaways cause of the whole salt and rust issues but if R44's can run in the Rockaways so can R160's.

If R179 were to be delivered right after R160

I believe maybe 2 line maybe doing swampping cars that:

(A) R68 , R179

(C) R68 , R179

(N) , R179 , R160

(Q) , R179 , R160

(A) , (C) will reiecve R68 from (N) , (Q) . and (N) , (Q) will

have R179 , R160. it will be nice to see (A) , (C) line get

R68 from (N) , (Q) line

There will be no R68/As on the A/C and there will be no R179s on the N/Q. Please stop speculating b/c it's already predicted that the first R179s will go to the F. The first R179 order is only 208 cars meaning that it will only cover part of one line.

There will be no R68/As on the A/C and there will be no R179s on the N/Q. Please stop speculating b/c it's already predicted that the first R179s will go to the F. The first R179 order is only 208 cars meaning that it will only cover part of one line.

Thank you button:tup:

(A) R68 , R179

(C) R68 , R179

(N) , R179 , R160

(Q) , R179 , R160

R68 from (N) , (Q) line

I can see why you speculated that R179s are going to the (A) and (C) cause I thought the same at first , but let's be real, the (N) and (Q) doesn't need R179s if they already have R160 Siemens as if they are from the year of 2100.

The F is gonna be something else w/ both R179s and R160s

(A) R68 , R179

(C) R68 , R179

(N) , R179 , R160

(Q) , R179 , R160

R68 from (N) , (Q) line

How about a "HUH?" from me.

How about a "HUH?" from me.

that is all you can say because landofthelost keeps pulling non-sensical and false information and ideas from who knows where? anything, MTR, there is not enough cars to make both the (F) and (Q) fully R160s. it is either one of the other and i am not sure which one yet.

here is not enough cars to make both the (F) and (Q) fully R160s. it is either one of the other and i am not sure which one yet.

On this subject, I will not speculate any further than this.

I said the Q is expected to be fully R160, I did not say it WILL be. As for the F, I did do some arithmetic. And it's all theoretical, which means there will be errors. My hypothesis is that, R160A Option 2 (5 car sets) and R160B Option 2 will go to JAM. There probably will be a switcharoo taking place, calling for some R160B Opt 2 cars to be deployed at CIY in exchange for some R160B Option 1 units. I did account that, and when I did my math, there is room to fill the F with R160s.

Remember, this thread is hypothetical. Feel free to refute me, but my hypotheses have logical proof behind it.

I calculated it myself a few weeks back with estimates on the number of trains in layup and concluded that the F would be all R160 with around 2-4 sets of R46s. Even though it is expected that the Q would become entirely R160, CI is currently at full capacity. Unless the W gives up all of its R160Bs, the Q would still have R68/As.

They can go to Pitkin but not 207th, Hopefuly they will go to pitkin If they agreed to that Plan for the last 200 R160's.

Archived