Teen Girl Falls In Open Manhole While Texting

Maserati7200

alexalongueira.jpg

Jul 11, 2009 2:06 pm US/Eastern

Teen Girl Falls In Open Manhole While Texting

Alexa Longueira Suffers Deep Cuts, Bruises After Landing In Raw Sewage, Blames DEP For Leaving Hole Unattended

NEW YORK (CBS) ― It was an accident waiting to happen -- an open sewer and a 15-year-old girl who was texting while she walked

Alexa Longueira, a high school sophomore, was walking along Victory Boulevard near Travis Avenue on Staten Island Wednesday evening when she felt the earth move and was plunged into smelly darkness.

She said the manhole she fell in to was left open and unattended with no warning signs or orange cones. She said two workers with the New York City Department of Environmental Protection failed to secure the area as they prepared to flush the sewer.

"It was just really gross and it was shocking and scary," she said. "Because of their careless mistake I got hurt."

Longueira has deep cuts and bruises and said she now has nightmares about falling, But she also did admit she was texting at the time.

"Regardless of whether I'm texting or not if there was a cone there I'm going to see a big orange cone," she said. "I walk that sidewalk every day, I don't expect a big hole there."

Longueira said she was helped out of the five-foot deep sewer by an apologetic DEP worker.

She went to the hospital and the city opened an investigation, issuing the following statement:

"We regret that this happened and wish the young woman a speedy recovery."

The Longueira family wants more than get well wishes. They may sue. Alexa's mother, Kim, said: "It could have been an elderly person, a mother pushing a stroller. It could have been anyone."

Alexa lost one of her sneakers in the sewer. She does not want it back.

The girl's mother said Alexa will see more doctors next week to get an MRI and check for damage to her spine.

Look, ill admit she fell in a manhole, its scary and you could get injured badly. But you cant blame the city that much for this incident. Its partly her fault for being on her phone then looking through her surroundings. Who knows if she could of get struck by a vehicle only cuz shes talking to her friends. Save that for later!Of course its the Cities fault to for not adding a warning to that manhole..

Wish everything the best of luck!

I laughed so hard when I saw this story on tv last night! I thought it was hysterical. No one told her dumba** to not look where she was going and be aware of her surroundings. I yelled at a woman yesterday while she crossed the street in front of me and saved her life because since she was not aware of her surroundings she was not aware she was in the crosshairs of a driver who ran the red light. After the fact, I told her to be aware of her surroundings next time or she might pay for it. People and texting bad combination...

This girl looks as smart as a bucket of nails. Even if there was yellow caution tape, red cones around it and flashing lights , this dumb b would have still fell into it. I used to go to Staten Island alot and most of the girls there are dumb bubble heads.

Dumbass. Too bad she didn't hit her face so that she would be made so unattractive no man would ever want to reproduce with her and allow her genes to copy themselves onto another being.

But judging from that photo she's pretty brutal to begin with

Can I laugh at this? Because I wanna laugh. Yeah I'm gonna laugh.

LMFAO!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!! *falling outta the seat and such* LMFAO!!!!!!

Yeah she's stupid! I would have loved to see that myself though. Oh right i'm supposed to feel sorry for her. Uhm that's a shame, hope she's ok?

*fake look of pity*

I laughed so hard when I saw this story on tv last night! I thought it was hysterical. No one told her dumba** to not look where she was going and be aware of her surroundings. I yelled at a woman yesterday while she crossed the street in front of me and saved her life because since she was not aware of her surroundings she was not aware she was in the crosshairs of a driver who ran the red light. After the fact, I told her to be aware of her surroundings next time or she might pay for it. People and texting bad combination...

Lmao So did i i found it so funny how she want paying attention to were she was going...it funny cause its sad

I laughed so hard when I saw this story on tv last night! I thought it was hysterical.

Can I laugh at this? Because I wanna laugh. Yeah I'm gonna laugh.

LMFAO!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!!! *falling outta the seat and such* LMFAO!!!!!!

Yeah she's stupid! I would have loved to see that myself though. Oh right i'm supposed to feel sorry for her. Uhm that's a shame, hope she's ok?

*fake look of pity*

Lmao So did i i found it so funny how she want paying attention to were she was going...it funny cause its sad

You guys are so cruel. I would never laugh at such a situation.........

I wonder like in cartoons where the characters who fall down a manhole, hats hover in the air a few seconds after they fall, did her cell phone do the same, lol!!!!

Here is simple reason not to text while walking. You might step your shoes or even worse, sandals or flip-flops, in a pile of dog sh!t........

This girl looks as smart as a bucket of nails. Even if there was yellow caution tape, red cones around it and flashing lights , this dumb b would have still fell into it. I used to go to Staten Island alot and most of the girls there are dumb bubble heads.

I agree with you 100%. Have you heard this airhead speak? OMG....They should sterilize her so she doesn't reproduce.

http://gothamist.com/2009/07/11/video_si_teen_explains_fall_down_ma.php

I agree with you 100%. Have you heard this airhead speak? OMG....They should sterilize her so she doesn't reproduce.

http://gothamist.com/2009/07/11/video_si_teen_explains_fall_down_ma.php

Holy crap that mom is fugly! Im italian and I have a little bit of an italian brooklyn accent but not as bad as those two, the sound of it makes me cringe. Those people are trash, they just want money. Sure the DEP was negligent but damn you have to be a moron to fall into that!

I wonder like in cartoons where the characters who fall down a manhole, hats hover in the air a few seconds after they fall, did her cell phone do the same, lol!!!!

I tried my best not to picture the scenario but unfortunately I couldn't resist and that's the exact same picture i got in my head lol! The only difference was I was there with a video camera and ready to run home to get online to youtube.

But in all seriousness...how does something like this happen? Even if you're texting while walking you should have some sorta awareness to your surroundings.

I agree. People are never paying attention anymore, even for motorists.

They cross or J-cross without looking both ways. Same situation at railroad tracks.

People talking on cell phone. Especially near Penn Station, they occupied spaces on 32nd St, creating obstacle for MJQ/CS depot operator to pulled into last stop.

Jumping in front of bus while buses are moving.

Hell, there are times I've been skating and texting so the same thing could have happened to me! So the girl needs to watch where she's going; the DEP needs to make sure that the manhole is guarded by caution tape; lastly, I need to stop texting because my phone bill's going off the wall and my mom's not going to be happy tomorrow when the bill comes!

Just imagine this happened in 1959...the DEP guy would smack you upside the head for being a dumbass. If you went home and told mom and dad about it, they'd both give you a good well-deserved smack as well.

Now in 2009 you can be rewarded for falling into a manhole.

Archived