M6 to run on 23rd Street

mark1447

Says it on the (MTA)s website, instead of it heading to 14th street, wonder why..

In order to provide more consistent service on the M6 route, effective Sunday, July 12, the southbound M6 buses have been rerouted across 23rd Street, rather than 14th Street.

South Ferry-bound M6 buses will operate along the existing route to 23rd Street. Buses will then turn left on 23rd Street, right on Park Avenue South and onto Broadway to 14th Street. At that point, it will resume its regular route.

New M6 southbound bus stops will be on West 23rd Street at 7th Avenue and 6th Avenue and on East 23rd Street at Broadway – all existing M23 stops. There will also be M6 stops on Park Avenue South at East 22nd Street, East 20th Street and East 18th Street and on Broadway at East 14th Street – the last three are existing M1 stops. Frequency and running times will remain the same. The northbound M6 route will remain unchanged.

Of course the Manhattan Bus Map shows it: http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf [July 2009]

Somebody's doing their homework...

14th st is progressively getting worse w/ pedestrian traffic (and vehicular traffic, as well)... it's almost comparable to that of canal street... especially w/ all those ppl. selling/displaying artwork, books, hand-made jewelry, or w/e else it is ppl. sell around/at union square...

driving on 23rd is no picnic either, but I think a couple more minutes could be saved by re-routing buses off 14th... smart move by the mta, if that's the reason behind their intention....

Houston Street is worse than 14th and 23rd Streets. I don't know how M21 operators manage to make it on time. Mind you, there are far more pedestrians on Houston Street than 14th Street.

I don't know if that post of yours was sarcasm, but this question I'm askin, is a serious one...

During what part of the day are there far more pedestrians on Houston, compared to 14th?

I see plenty of pedestrians during the afternoon hours. Houston Street and SoHo has since become a new tourist attraction in Manhattan. Tell me one tourist attraction along 14th Street. Guess what, there is none. The people who you see hang out at Union Square are mostly people who live around the surrounding area. With Virgin Megastore now closed, I can see those numbers drop.

I was not being sarcastic. I'm actually serious. I have actually given some B/O's on the M21 advice on traffic conditions. In fact, I tell them that Friday's is the worse day of the week. On those Gridlock Alert Days, B/O's are better off not following the schedule. I know Houston Street's traffic conditions more than anyone here. Also, Houston Street looks better at night than 14th Street.

wow....

How did you manage to get this riled up over a simple question?

I wasn't doubting that there aren't a lot of pedestrians on Houston... quite frankly, I don't care how much of houston street you know more than I (or anyone else) do, and if houston looks better @ night (lol... I agree w/ that, but still...)... none of that was relevant to what was asked....

Outside of all the extra stuff, thanks for your reply.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

wow....

How did you manage to get this riled up over a simple question?

I wasn't doubting that there aren't a lot of pedestrians on Houston... quite frankly, I don't care how much of houston street you know more than I (or anyone else) do, and if houston looks better @ night (lol... I agree w/ that, but still...)... none of that was relevant to what was asked....

Outside of all the extra stuff, thanks for your reply.

I wanna know what tourist attraction is physically located on Houston st? A majority of the major SoHo stores aren't located on Houston st, they are on Bway.

I go to Union Sq all the time and I don't live over there. People come to skate there, there's the farmers market. As for 23rd St I'm sure there is far more pedestrain traffic then houston st. Chelsea Piers, Flatiron building, madison sq park just to name a few spots.

He always gets riled up whenever anyone says something contrary to what he "knows" and what exactly was the point of bringing up houston st in this? It was irrevelant to the topic unless your trying to suggest the M21 be rerouted.

Ever since after M6 moved to 7th Av, I was always wondering if there is tourist making mistake between M6/X6 at former Broadway/23rd St stop.

Now, passengers on M1 riders between 23rd St & South Ferry has alternative with M6. Lots of tourists and seniors doesn't like that M1 don't go to South Ferry on weekend.

I think now with new M1 pattern, they could change to M6 at Park Av S/23rd, 21st, 18th Sts also.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.7; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Who says I get riled up? God, your posse, or the pizza delivery man? The reason why I brought up Houston Street is simple. B35 via Church satated in a prior post that traffic is getting worse along 14th Street when 14th Street is not a traffic heavy street. Houston Street is a busy throughfare because its the nearest river-to-river street from Canal Street and the Holland Tunnel. If you don't take the M21 such as myself, don't even think of changing that route.

Can't we just go back to taking about the M6.

Every street has the potential to become a heavy throughfare and Traffic getting worse=HEAVIER traffic then what it once was. If they moved the M6 to provide more consistent service then obviously something on 14 was holding up service and that would have to be traffic, thus 14 st is becoming a heavy traffic ped &/or vehicular street. your belief that 14 doesn't have heavy traffic because its not as high as houston st doesn't stand. Houston st had nothing to do with the M6, you just threw in for an unnecessary comparison. And i can't recall on 1 ocassion seeing an M21 stuck in a massive amount of traffic

And you do get riled up everytime someone mention anything about MJQ , its precious 8600s or someone makes a post about buses in lower manhattan.

Back to the topic, traffic can be bad on 23rd ST but it flows for the most part so I see this as an improvement

If you've seen the way West Houston Street back in 2006 and now, you'll notice an improvement in traffic flow. Traffic does improve when you fix up a roadway. If they fix up all of those roadways out in Staten Island, you'll notice a big difference.

As for your statement, it shows you know absoulely nothing.

You don't have to attack personally you know. It's just a damn statement. There is no need to say I know nothing! :cry:

You are not the smartest poster on the site. Just because you don't like what someone says, or if you think that person is wrong, you should not judge or criticize anyone. You don't know what everyone else knows so don't tell some bull about I don't know anything.

B35 via Church satated in a prior post that traffic is getting worse along 14th Street when 14th Street is not a traffic heavy street.

It is most certainly gettin worse, traffic-wise along 14th street... especially b/w union sq. & 8th av... Pedestrian & Vehicular.... they got the M6 currently on 14th b/w 7th & union sq...

I'll admit to getting riled up when certian posts are being made.

Twenty-third Street isn't that bad when it comes to traffic.

Compared to 42nd and 34th Streets, 14th and 23rd Streets aren't so bad. The problem with most crosstown streets is that people rely on them too much.

compared to 14th, yeah.... which is why I stated in my initial post that it could be a reason they're going to move M6's off 14th & onto 23rd....

You immediately brought up Houston street & the M21 for whatever the reason....

...and using 34th & 42nd as a gauge, of course traffic along 14th & 23rd wouldn't be all that bad.... Outside of 14th & 23rd (relevant to the content of that of the OP) this wasn't about which street was more traffic heavy than the other... Houston, 34th, 42nd....

My original post was focused towards what the t/s posted..... that's all & that's it....

If they moved the M6 to provide more consistent service then obviously something on 14 was holding up service and that would have to be traffic, thus 14 st is becoming a heavy traffic ped &/or vehicular street. your belief that 14 doesn't have heavy traffic because its not as high as houston st doesn't stand. Houston st had nothing to do with the M6, you just threw in for an unnecessary comparison.

Back to the topic, traffic can be bad on 23rd ST but it flows for the most part so I see this as an improvement

That was my point.

Moving the M6 over to 23rd Street just because of 14th Street's traffic woes isn't a valid excuse for a reroute. The way 14th Street's traffic is now is how I remembered it fifteen years ago. I have seen no changes in the way traffic flows. To make my case, M14 operators are given 30-45 minutes from one terminal to the other. The majority of the time, they make it on time. Same goes to B/O's on the M23.

I have taken a cold, hard look on how traffic flows along Houston , 14th, 23rd, 34th, and 42nd Streets for the past 6 years. The worse of the bunch is Houston, 34th, and 42nd Street. B35 via Church, why are agreeing with someone who doesn't even live in Manhattan? As a matter of fact, don't even answer that question. It was meant to be a rhetorical question.

42nd Street is obvious because of the Lincoln Tunnel. 34th Street is due to its proximity to the heart of Midtown. Houston Street due to the Holland Tunnel as well as the Houston Street exit on East River Drive. I hope you see that my point is Houston along with 34th and 42nd Streets see FAR more traffic than 14th and 23rd Streets.

Which is why the M6 is better off on 23 St. Why would you want the M6 to go on Houston if the traffic is worse since you "know everything"? Plus someone anyone could agree with anyone they want. So what if they don't live in Manhattan?

Archived