R160A and R160B option order 2

Railfaner100

What do you mean? Besides with this pointless economic stimulus package in place, if there was any 'limit' to government spending we surely have surpassed it.

I meant if they are not planning on spending too much.. But since you say there isnt im guessing its fine.. Hope they know that we under a bad economy..

I meant if they are not planning on spending too much..

Oh, I get what your saying. But I think if a railcar needs to be replaced (i.e. the R44 when it reaches 40+ years) the federal government would always fund it's replacement. But like if the (MTA) wanted to order option III to replace the R68/A's, they wouldn't get any federal government money for it because the R68/A's have a lot more useful life in them in their eyes.

Basically, they would only give the (MTA) money for railcars if the railcar it is replacing needs to retire.

Oh, I get what your saying. But I think if a railcar needs to be replaced (i.e. the R44 when it reaches 40+ years) the federal government would always fund it's replacement. But like if the (MTA) wanted to order option III to replace the R68/A's, they wouldn't get any federal government money for it because the R68/A's have a lot more useful life in them in their eyes.

Basically, they would only give the (MTA) money for railcars if the railcar it is replacing needs to retire.

I would replace R44 with R179 of course as its going to be 75 footers, rather then the R160 which is 61 ft(Em i correct?). Plus R179 could look much different from the R160s, which who knows it ill look like... But i dunno i dont make decisions, what eber is best for the people its fine..

I would replace R44 with R179 of course as its going to be 75 footers, rather then the R160 which is 61 ft(Em i correct?). Plus R179 could look much different from the R160s, which who knows it ill look like... But i dunno i dont make decisions, what eber is best for the people its fine..

Yeah, I'd rather the R179 come than a 3rd R160 option. The (MTA) capital plan says (yeah people I know the capital plan is not final and blah) that the R179 would replace the R44, of course things could change. Btw the R160 is 60.5 feet to be exact.

But to the federal govt. it doesn't really matter if it's an R160 or R179, they're still paying for it and it still costs the same.

First off lets not jump into conclusions and think a 3rd supplement order may occur for the Revenue 160s. Remember the (MTA) doesnt have the money for this. So we dunno how things are going to work. Maybe the R46/44 would just benefit for the (A)(C)

Oh my God, THANK YOU!

Is the Coney Island yard going to receive any R160s from the second option orders and if they do which second option order of the R160s will it most likely get?

Do not make me post this again. Please read what other posters had posted. IIRC, you had asked this question before.

It appears Option II R-160B's 9803-9872 will be assigned to Coney Island in their place.

9803-9807 arrived at Coney Island last Friday evening.

Don't yet know for sure but my guess is these 70 have Siemens propulsion despite proclamations to the contrary.

Then it makes sense, as 9103-9162 are universal with the Alstom-equipped cars already being assigned to Jamaica, while 9803-9872 would be compatible with the Siemens equipped cars (8848-9102) already at CIY.

The advance transfer might be to get the R-32/40M/42's from Jamaica off the road faster...OR it could be to free up more R-46's for the A.

Someone else out there might have better info.

Regards,

George Chiasson Jr.

(Widecab5@aol.com)

Are the R160Bs in the second option order going to have half alstom propulsion and half siemens propulsion or its just going to have only alstom propulsion trains in the option 2 order?

If you read what I wrote, I did say that half of them will be by Alstom and half will probably be by Alstom.

It appears Option II R-160B's 9803-9872 will be assigned to Coney Island in their place.

9803-9807 arrived at Coney Island last Friday evening.

Don't yet know for sure but my guess is these 70 have Siemens propulsion despite proclamations to the contrary.

Then it makes sense, as 9103-9162 are universal with the Alstom-equipped cars already being assigned to Jamaica, while 9803-9872 would be compatible with the Siemens equipped cars (8848-9102) already at CIY.

The advance transfer might be to get the R-32/40M/42's from Jamaica off the road faster...OR it could be to free up more R-46's for the A.

Someone else out there might have better info.

Regards,

George Chiasson Jr.

(Widecab5@aol.com)

So the fact is that all of the R160Bs from the second option order are going to feature alstom propulsion motors and will also all be assigned to the Jamaica yard.

And how do you know that? What are your sources to this? What makes you so sure of this? Accorsing to the R160 contract, Alstom will supply half of the R160B's traction equipment. Therefore half of option II should have Alstom, and the other half should have Siemens.

Bud, do me a favour, would you?

Let's just all say that whatever Widecab said will be true. Because the second we all have contradicting theories, the forum will be buzzing with rumour, foaming, trolling and possible flame warring. To preserve the sanity of the forum, we must all refrain from those 4 things. I know in your heart that you think there is an third option. I'll tell you again, there is no need for a third option. Do the math. I could do it again and again and will tell you again and again, that there are enough cars to replace the SMEEs adequately without a need for a third option.

Dude, I know Webcab5 is right, But don't bust my balls okay, One, I have alot of TA sources and 2 you don't know the history of the TA like I do okay, The TA retires more than receving and I want all of you to know that, Okay example:

The R142/R142A order:

They thought they had enough R142's to replace the redbirds, a how about noe, They did a sumplment order for 80 cars to knock out the remaining Redbirds at corona, Mostly R33S

So Don't tell me that my math is wrong, Here's another example:

32 R160A/1's for ENY, There won't be enough to replace all of the SMEE's at ENY, ENY will be 20 cars short.

And putting somebody's post on another sites is Illegal just to let you know that, If you did not have permission that's illegal.

Dude, I know Webcab5 is right, But don't bust my balls okay, One, I have alot of TA sources and 2 you don't know the history of the TA like I do okay, The TA retires more than receving and I want all of you to know that, Okay example:

The R142/R142A order:

They thought they had enough R142's to replace the redbirds, a how about noe, They did a sumplment order for 80 cars to knock out the remaining Redbirds at corona, Mostly R33S

So Don't tell me that my math is wrong, Here's another example:

32 R160A/1's for ENY, There won't be enough to replace all of the SMEE's at ENY, ENY will be 20 cars short.

And putting somebody's post on another sites is Illegal just to let you know that, If you did not have permission that's illegal.

Please, stop exerting a "know-it-all" attitude over other members by claiming you have more knowledge of the subway's history than others. That's not going to get you anywhere.

The point is not about redbirds and stuff, stop going off topic. There are 1,662 cars in the base order plus the two option orders. The SMEEs total 1,600. No calculus involved. And about the car discrepancy at ENY:

According to TheJoeKorner, there are 24 trains seeing service on the L. According to math, that yields 192 cars. Currently 152 R143s are seeing service. There are 200 built. 40 R42s see service on the J/Z. So 40 R160As can go to the J/Z from the L, knocking the R42s out. 32 R160As from the second order will fill in on the L, as they will have CBTC. One set of R143s can be brought into service, filling in the discrepancy. Or maybe 24 R160As will see service on the L, allowing one set to be used as a spare set. With 2 R143s filling in the discrepancy.

And please, I know you have "many TA sources", but do I care? This is a forum where everyone should be equal. Having many sources or claiming that you do does not mean you're always right.

As for the legality issue, I quoted Widecab's post. I used it for the relevance of this thread. Many of us quoted things from other visible sources, so that people can read. I quoted a reliable source. As for you? What tangible source have you got? I can't take every bit of information "heard from ear" as true. Everyone of us could say he or she has some internal source, but if it is not shown or quoted, how can we believe it?

The reason R32 3838 brought up Redbirds is to demonstrate that there won't be enough 160's to completely eradicate the 60-foot SMEE's. As for your first statement, I'll have to agree with R32 3838. Some members don't know their facts and history (you included [MTR]). Also, I happen to be one of the most knowledgeable members here. I know things that the majority of people here don't know.

If you happen to disagree with my statements, then you are better off foaming over a R160 then.

Be careful when you are using that word.

You're making it seem like something bad is going to go down.

Listen, you have to respect the level of train knowledge others have. Do you think everyone is on level with you? Not everyone here devotes every second of their life studying train history. You do not work for the TA, therefore, even if you claim to know everything in the subway, you're like us. You don't get any additional seniority just because you "have more knowledge than others". We are all learning here.

I want to keep things cool down here, I don't want this place to become RD with flame warring. This is NYCTF, and please make it look like it is.

Everyone please stay on topic. The next post that goes off-topic will be reported.

Look how long it took for the base order cars to enter service. It took two years to get all 660 cars in service. With car deliveries coming in slow, by the time the last batch arrives, the TA would have to begin getting rid of the R44's. Option III could happen. Option II was signed last November and now those cars (the Kawasaki units for the most part) are slowly coming into 207th Street Yard.

That was only the base order, where Alstom cars were coming in extremely slow and Kawasaki cars overall were coming in fast. Now that Alstom has accelerated their delivery, it's only going to take them a year (end of 2008 to end of 2009) to finish option I (360 cars for reference) seeing as they only have to deliver 70 more cars to finish option I. Considering Option II for Alstom is only 242 cars they can finish by the middle of 2010 (though the CBTC in the last 32 will have to be taken into consideration). Kawasaki only has to deliver a little over 100 cars (though 10-20 come per month) to finish option II. I know that was a long post and my point might not have gotten though but here it is: the (MTA) can finish the R160 order before the need for a third option arises.

First off lets not jump into conclusions and think a 3rd supplement order may occur for the Revenue 160s. Remember the (MTA) doesnt have the money for this. So we dunno how things are going to work. Maybe the R46/44 would just benefit for the (A)(C)

Didnt I hear the (R)(V) could go R160 in the future?

Good post, but IDK why you say Revenue R160s when I don't think R stands for Revenue (nitpick). Back ontopic, there is a possibility that the (R) and (V) can get R160s ((R) is probably going to get them) but we shall wait and see.

so will that R160 will run on (R) line.

This is not even a question. I'll pretend it is and answer it anyway. We don't know anything about when the R160 will debut on the (R) so stop asking. You will find out when a reliable source posts the info up.

So the fact is that all of the R160Bs from the second option order are going to feature alstom propulsion motors and will also all be assigned to the Jamaica yard.

I swear it's like you're asking the same questions over and over. I'll spell it out for you.

R160 Option Order II

R160A - 242 cars - 32 go to ENY w/ Alstom propulsion, the other 210 w/ Alstom propulsion will probably go to Jamaica Yard.

R160B - 140 cars - 70 w/ Siemens and 70 w/ Alstom will probably go to Jamaica Yard

Please note that nothing is set in stone and everything is unofficial at this point and based on speculation/logic.

And how do you know that? What are your sources to this? What makes you so sure of this? Accorsing to the R160 contract, Alstom will supply half of the R160B's traction equipment. Therefore half of option II should have Alstom, and the other half should have Siemens.

MTR told him to read the posts of the thread and find a conclusion. That was Railfaner100's conclusion...

Might as well close this thread then before anything else happens.

You just read my mind. Can a mod please close this? The original question has been answered.

There should be an Option III to which will be Siemans sets to replace some R44's, and transfer all R68/68A to Pitkin from Coney Island. The Concourse sets (D) will remain where it is. You do have from the article I read 70% of the Option II R160B being Alstrom/Onix while in question the 30% of them are gonna be Siemans. I wouldn't be surprised that when the new Siemans sets come in, that the Alstrom/Onix sets (Either R160A/160B) at Coney Island will be swapped to Jamaica for the new Siemans sets that Coney Island will get. If you guys all say Jamaica was to be all uniform in Alstrom/Onix propulsion, that most likely would be the scenario!

There should be an Option III to which will be Siemans sets to replace some R44's, and transfer all R68/68A to Pitkin from Coney Island. The Concourse sets (D) will remain where it is. You do have from the article I read 70% of the Option II R160B being Alstrom/Onix while in question the 30% of them are gonna be Siemans. I wouldn't be surprised that when the new Siemans sets come in, that the Alstrom/Onix sets (Either R160A/160B) at Coney Island will be swapped to Jamaica for the new Siemans sets that Coney Island will get. If you guys all say Jamaica was to be all uniform in Alstrom/Onix propulsion, that most likely would be the scenario!
Definitely not! You don't know how 8th Avenue riders feel. Lets just not assume further b/c the recession is still not over.

Julio, Andy, Zach... I'm afraid that the original question has been asked. Some of the members are just dragging it on by asking similar questions that have already been answered. To prevent this thread from going haywire, I advise that this thread be closed. A lot of the members here see frustration, seeing that the original question has been answered and has been dragged on. We do not like to see it further dragged on with people jumping into conclusions everywhere, the question has been answered and the thread must be closed.

Please, stop exerting a "know-it-all" attitude over other members by claiming you have more knowledge of the subway's history than others. That's not going to get you anywhere.

The point is not about redbirds and stuff, stop going off topic. There are 1,662 cars in the base order plus the two option orders. The SMEEs total 1,600. No calculus involved. And about the car discrepancy at ENY:

According to TheJoeKorner, there are 24 trains seeing service on the L. According to math, that yields 192 cars. Currently 152 R143s are seeing service. There are 200 built. 40 R42s see service on the J/Z. So 40 R160As can go to the J/Z from the L, knocking the R42s out. 32 R160As from the second order will fill in on the L, as they will have CBTC. One set of R143s can be brought into service, filling in the discrepancy. Or maybe 24 R160As will see service on the L, allowing one set to be used as a spare set. With 2 R143s filling in the discrepancy.

And please, I know you have "many TA sources", but do I care? This is a forum where everyone should be equal. Having many sources or claiming that you do does not mean you're always right.

As for the legality issue, I quoted Widecab's post. I used it for the relevance of this thread. Many of us quoted things from other visible sources, so that people can read. I quoted a reliable source. As for you? What tangible source have you got? I can't take every bit of information "heard from ear" as true. Everyone of us could say he or she has some internal source, but if it is not shown or quoted, how can we believe it?

I don't tell my soruces because they are TA workers and for the simple fact that Most TA workers don't as well as Me don't give Railfans the Whole Nine yards and other words they do not tell us everything, The SMEE's on the (V) I knew for since The end of May, And I posted to everybody " Expect weird Things to happen this Summer " and Trust me You will see more weird things in the Fall, We all know the (A)/© is swaping R32's and R46's But other lines are effected to.

Speaking of R160's they are starting to rust, 3 years and they have rust spots already.

And I don't act like I know it all, You just want this thread closed because you know as well as 33rd st and others that you fell a little stupid.

You seem to think I'm stupid. I've been following the R160 order before the contract was awarded nearly seven years ago. I haven't noticed any changes regarding the Alstom units' delivery. Like last year, the arrival of more R160's have been slowed. Seems you and MTR have no clue on what you guys are talking about. While you're at it, go out and foam on how "great" the 160's are.

R32 3838, MTR and R160B8713 can't handle the truth.

Listen, we are not "foaming". We don't endear the R160s, we don't call them our own. I and Kris have equal judgment when it comes to train cars. We do not care what class is what class and we don't judge by their appearance or amentities, but by how they work. The reason we want this thread to close is because the main question has been answered. Just because you have some "extra knowledge" doesn't give you the authority to bully other members. If you think we are fools, don't talk to fools, because by talking to fools, you only make yourselves fools.

And to be honest, I really do not care what will happen to the car assignments today, tomorrow, a week from now, a month later, or next year. Why am I here? Why am I even talking about trains, when I could devote my time to other things? I want to have insightful discussion with other people who share my hobby. My idea of a forum is: to have thoughts bouncing around peacefully.

Nobody should say "THIS MUST HAPPEN, BECAUSE X TOLD ME". Nobody should say "X or Y can't handle the truth" simply because they disagree.

Fine, you guys know all the facts there are. Let's put it that way. And what do I have to say? "I know nothing." I know nothing. Yes, I know nothing. And you know what? I want to learn, not to be bullied.

The reason why I want this thread to be closed is primarily because this thread is becoming a flame exchange. We are other forums where people flame at each other incessantly and we must refuse to make this forum look like those forums. We must allow this place to be a place of mutual learning. I personally want this place to look better, and I strive to make this place a place of mutual learning on the field of transit.

I wish that you and R32 3838 no longer use your attitude to talking to other members because simply they "don't know what you guys are talking about". I do not ask for more.

MTR, what a lame excuse of a post. At your age I already knew a lot of the transit syatem. Sure I was learning but I didn't make one excuse. Where did I state I was bullying certian members? I'm just stating what is out in the open. If you can't take this post as 100% fact, then you are truly a clueless person.

Leave him alone. Not everyone is as smart as you since you "know" everything. Maybe instead of judging people, you could at least try to be a little nicer. We are to learn from each other, not insult.

Archived