What should I expect as a new Conductor (NYCT)?

puertorocks

I see your two pair and I raise you $50...

"This is 77th st formerly working class Yorkville. If you're a yuppie wearing a suit or too much makeup and in search of a Starbucks pretentious coffee, there is coffee about 100 yards into the tunnel in front of the train." "Now get the hell out of the doors because I don't care if you're late to work, because I was on time today and I want to stay on time right up to the point I go home, Ding Dong"

Bzzt bzzt.

I can't post what I would say at 2nd Av.

Yup, it's really too bad that the old SMEEs will all be gone by the time we get hired (except C Div). The best you can do as a C/R is crop open the cab door of an R-46–68 with a shoe paddle or maybe chill outside in one of the seats as I've seen a couple of C/Rs do on hot summer days. At least the old-fashion PA will still be around for a bit to get the yelling out of your system at some key stations. :mad:

BTW Matted, I wonder if any passengers will be fooled about the 'grille' part of Farrel's Bar & Grille in your announcement. B)

Yup, it's really too bad that the old SMEEs will all be gone by the time we get hired (except C Div). The best you can do as a C/R is crop open the cab door of an R-46–68 with a shoe paddle or maybe chill outside in one of the seats as I've seen a couple of C/Rs do on hot summer days. At least the old-fashion PA will still be around for a bit to get the yelling out of your system at some key stations. :mad:

BTW Matted, I wonder if any passengers will be fooled about the 'grille' part of Farrel's Bar & Grille in your announcement. :P

Yup, that's too bad. Same goes for operating. Would have loved to run the old SMEEs someday...maybe a work train hopefully someday otherwise I can always try and add my name to the museum operator list once I've got some seniority in my belt.

I think as a C/R I'd prefer anything comfortable particularly in the summer B) but I've still got a few lines to really get down pat no matter what Div I wind up getting as far as knowing because even if the computer is doing the announcement I want to know my route 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

the best advise i can give new conductors is get into flagging asap. more money no uniform and no public to deal with. every new conductor starts off nice and polite after a few months they all become "stone cold killers". if you cant flag, work midnights. less people less supervision and overall less stress.

the best advise i can give new conductors is get into flagging asap. more money no uniform and no public to deal with. every new conductor starts off nice and polite after a few months they all become "stone cold killers". if you cant flag, work midnights. less people less supervision and overall less stress.

what is flagging?

Flagging is essentially a manual signal system, deployed to let train operators know when workers are on the tracks: red for stop, yellow for proceed with caution and green for go. Special attention is paid to flags deployed on tracks next to where employees are working.

thats pretty much it. except rto only flags for outside contractors. different dept's flag for themselves.

It all depends on the person. I never flagged when I was a Conductor, but even now going into work at 8 pm and working way into the night until 7 am the next morning was never my cup of tea. And weekends off? Forget it. Right now you have C/R's with 20+ years seniority complaining that they're getting stuck with TW and WT off, that's why so many C/R's in CF ran back to the road this pick.

Personally I don't care how easy a job is, I adamantly refuse to work on the midnight tour. I'll willingly work harder to keep a job on AM's, or even PM's.

its not that bad,most of the time i flag am's with m/t rdo's. this week they gave me s/m. i rarely work nights. and the weekends are where the money is. i'm getting double no lunches every weekend. those senior guys that complain want weekend rdos so they can work them and get 12 plus be out there working till they hit 15 hours. plus it depends what job you pick. also all those senior guys that ran to the road are complaining that they are not making the money they are used to so they are already saying they are coming back. it happens in cycles, senior guys complain about not having weekends run to the road for a pick then run right back. they just need to be reminded of how good they got it. working nights is not bad either. during the week its mostly straight eights. 8-4/9-5. also flaggers dont work holidays except maybe new years eve on the platform.

Archived