Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

It's a slap in deface on trains: MTA, cops cut subway graffiti by 46%

Police patrols and Transit surveillance teams have slashed the number of subway graffiti attacks nearly in half, officials told the Daily News.

Between January and May 2007, vandals trespassing in dark subway tunnels and railyards ringed with razor wire carried out 98 major spray-paint "hits."

They have managed just 53 graffiti raids this year - a 46% drop - according to NYC Transit statistics.

"The word is getting out," NYC Transit Vice President Vincent DeMarino said. "It's not so easy in New York anymore. You have a good chance of getting caught."

After a dramatic spike in vandalism, NYC Transit launched the "Eagle Team," a surveillance outfit comprising mostly retired police detectives and supervisors, two years ago.

The agency also struck a new arrangement with city police: The agency would focus on the far-flung railyards while NYPD squads would target tracks between stations, where some trains are parked overnight.

With increased cooperation and manpower, they have been able to cover more ground and get results, DeMarino said.

The biggest catch in recent years: Danielle Bremner and Jim Clay Harper, dubbed the Bonnie and Clyde of the spray-painting subculture.

The pair has defaced trains and buildings from New York to Boston to Paris since 2005, prosecutors have said. They were arrested after returning to the U.S. last year.

Bremner, 27, is slated for release from Rikers Island at the end of the month after a three-month stint behind bars.

A judge also ordered her to pay $10,000 in restitution. Harper's case is pending.

Vandals frequently take photographs of their murals or scrawls and post them on the Internet.

A major graffiti hit takes more than three hours to remove, NYC Transit's Pat Romano said. Removal costs, which totaled $350,000 in 2007, were down to $125,000 last year, Romano added.

The agency doesn't put vandalized trains in service until the exteriors are cleaned.

The damage from all types of graffiti, including scratching and etching on subway train windows, can cost the agency about $2 million, Romano said.

Looking to deter scratchiti vandals and protect train windows from damage, NYC Transit in December and January conducted a one-train pilot program with some windows covered with a semi-opaque advertisement for Coke.

Officials determined it would be too costly to use the strategy systemwide, agency spokesman Paul Fleuranges said. Police also raised safety concerns because officers on the platform couldn't see as clearly into cars.

post-1-133288580639_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580639_thumb.jpg

It could be worse...I'm positive I don;t have to bring up the deferred maintenance period of the 1970s and 1980s. What you see above is nothing compared to that time period.

I have never seen a tagged subway car. The only tagged railcar i've seen was a Metro-North M7A.

Sounds like they're doing a hell of a job.

I have never seen a tagged subway car. The only tagged railcar i've seen was a Metro-North M7A.

Sounds like they're doing a hell of a job.

I've seen a few with graffiti and tags on them. Only saw one that had a decent size "burner" on it...amazingly it stayed in service.

Like most of the major graffiti it was European since the guy said he was from Poland in the tag...

i dont think they'll ever totally get rid of graff, it may not be on the trains it will always be around them, anyplace visible. I can tell u that writers are wary of vandal squad while lots of guys from the graffiti on train era have retired theres always new waves of newcomers. Writers now are sprouting from the suburbs. all that being said graff will always live

all that being said graff will always live

However, is it really worth spending all of that work for something that will be removed in less than 3 hours...

More and more people are coming to their senses which accounts for why graffiti is dropping.

Anyways, I've never seen a "bombed" Metro North M7...however, I have seen 1 (3) train with the first three cars tagged up. However, that's about it. The Agency has done good preventing vandalism.

I'd honestly get excited if I saw a throw-up like the one pictured above, but at this point most graff I've seen on trains are nasty little tags, and of course scratchiti which just looks dirty. The R42s that used to roll on the (E) and (J)(Z) could get pretty messy.

I haven't seen any abundant graff on active-revenue passenger trains since the 90s. Although for the first time in my life, I saw a little something scribbled on a LIRR M3 last year. It looked like it had already hit the cleaners, but you could definitely still see the residue.

I don't think the subway aesthetics of the 70s/80s could ever even come close to coming back, not even slightly.

I'd honestly get excited if I saw a throw-up like the one pictured above, but at this point most graff I've seen on trains are nasty little tags, and of course scratchiti which just looks dirty. The R42s that used to roll on the (E) and (J)(Z) could get pretty messy.

I haven't seen any abundant graff on active-revenue passenger trains since the 90s. Although for the first time in my life, I saw a little something scribbled on a LIRR M3 last year. It looked like it had already hit the cleaners, but you could definitely still see the residue.

I don't think the subway aesthetics of the 70s/80s could ever even come close to coming back, not even slightly.

Me neither. But that still doesn't mean that subway cars aren't prone to getting tagged. The R42s on the (J) and (Z), as well as the R42s that use to be on these lines, look disgusting. They suffered too much abuse on the Eastern Division because of the crime-ridden area. That's why at night there are no R160s parked at 111th Street: it would scream "TAG ME!" to vandals.

Aren't buses also tagged with graffiti?

Not in the general subway forum they're not... :P:P:p

Not in the general subway forum they're not... :P:P:p

ya sure.................... lol

about two weeks ago i saw a tagged up 1st car on the (R) train an 46 and was shocked hadnt seen that since the 80s but i do believe graffitti artist should be prosecuted to the ful extent law graffitti on murals are cool on subways its an eye sore and im glad those dark days of the 70 and 80s of graffitti on subways are gone

Me neither. But that still doesn't mean that subway cars aren't prone to getting tagged. The R42s on the (J) and (Z), as well as the R42s that use to be on these lines, look disgusting. They suffered too much abuse on the Eastern Division because of the crime-ridden area. That's why at night there are no R160s parked at 111th Street: it would scream "TAG ME!" to vandals.

Exactly. I know this is probably up to quite a bit of debate, but for the past few years, I'd consider the R42s on the (J)/(Z) to be about the worst cars in the system. The R160s going that way aren't safe either, I've seen visible tagging and scratchiti showing up on some cars. Not cool. Now, Jamaica not keeping their R160s clean is another story. :P

Exactly. I know this is probably up to quite a bit of debate, but for the past few years, I'd consider the R42s on the (J)/(Z) to be about the worst cars in the system. The R160s going that way aren't safe either, I've seen visible tagging and scratchiti showing up on some cars. Not cool. Now, Jamaica not keeping their R160s clean is another story. :P

You can't be serious, R160s are getting vandalized already? The Eastern Division doesn't deserve R160s, they should give them to Jamaica and they should get their R42s back, although Jamaica does a crappy job of keeping its trains clean so it's a lose-lose situation. But the R42s after years of abuse are a real eyesore. Don't get me wrong, I love the R42s as much as the other SMEEs, but they look really bad. Of course, we really can't judge on a car's aesthetics because they can sure as hell run great, which they do.

Whatever happens, I had better NOT see an R32 pop on the (J) or I would riot.

You can't be serious, R160s are getting vandalized already? The Eastern Division doesn't deserve R160s, they should give them to Jamaica and they should get their R42s back, although Jamaica does a crappy job of keeping its trains clean so it's a lose-lose situation. But the R42s after years of abuse are a real eyesore. Don't get me wrong, I love the R42s as much as the other SMEEs, but they look really bad. Of course, we really can't judge on a car's aesthetics because they can sure as hell run great, which they do.

Whatever happens, I had better NOT see an R32 pop on the (J) or I would riot.

Yup. They are. It's a shame too. I've seen acid etching on the interior stainless steel panels and scratches on the faux rail-fan window. Perhaps they can tighten up security at ENY yard. Have a guard taser anyone who enters anyone who enters.

But what else would the ED get? 75 footers? Not happening and I think you know why. The 60' SMEE's are gone by next year anyway so those don't really matter.

I think that the only way ENY is going to keep its trains even remotely clean would be to strike a deal with the local graff community. Allow groups of graff artists to put murals on a few of the trains if the graff community as a whole cracks down on idiots scratching penises into the walls. Concourse Yard should do the same; some of their hippos are disgusting.

I think that the only way ENY is going to keep its trains even remotely clean would be to strike a deal with the local graff community. Allow groups of graff artists to put murals on a few of the trains if the graff community as a whole cracks down on idiots scratching penises into the walls. Concourse Yard should do the same; some of their hippos are disgusting.

Even during the style wars days of graff, I don't think the MTA would ever buckle and do that. Remember that famous quote? "Is that art? I don't know, I'm not an art critic. But I can sure as hell tell you that that's a crime."

Haha, plus I doubt real writers are in close cahoots with kids who scratch random crap. couldn't tell you at this point, though. Who ever it is, they need to use their heads and keep these new cars clean. It just comes down to having even a slight respect for the other riders and equipment.

We're not dealing with any Seens or Dondis. It doesn't take talent to scratch a name, sorry.

You can't make deals with the community. You can't say "oh, please don't sleep on the subway... please don't scratch the windows... please don't do this or that... please don't play loud music". And if you call it a deal, what will you give back in return?

If a deal is played between the MTA or affiliated subdivisions and the local community in that area, I see it as Neville Chamberlain signing a deal with Adolf Hitler. In 1938, Hitler promised to Chamberlain not to continue as an aggressor in Europe. On 1 September 1939, Hitler invaded Poland.

Graffitti on the exterior of cars takes guts, also a very stupid person to go along with those guts. You have to deal with the NYPD, MTA Police, cameras, uninviting fences, the third rail, etc. Its a stupid waste of time at the rsk to getting locked up or worse. The scratchitti though is a lower level of stupid than anything else I can imagine. It looks like crap, it is illegible, has poor grammar, and ruins any view of the tunnels or the elevated lines.