Amtrak Assistant Conductor

Myrtle Local

I applied for this position in the NY division last month through Amtrak's website and just got a letter to come to the testing/orientation session in a few weeks. Just wondering if anyone here has ever been to one and what to expect, thanks!

I applied in October 2006 for the same position. They sent me a letter to go to a group interview down in Newark. Lets just say, the pencil I was using was more educated and qualified then the people who showed up....

I applied in October 2006 for the same position. They sent me a letter to go to a group interview down in Newark. Lets just say, the pencil I was using was more educated and qualified then the people who showed up....

Yeah I was definitely expecting that! Makes it easier for me! If you don't mind me asking, what was the outcome? Were you not interested in the position?

Yeah I was definitely expecting that! Makes it easier for me! If you don't mind me asking, what was the outcome? Were you not interested in the position?

I know for a fact that I passed everything... A few weeks later, they sent me a letter in the mail, that I wasn't qualified.. Ripped up the letter, and threw it out... To tell you the truth, I was actually a little relieved that I wasn't going to work for them. After viewing who my co-workers would be...:tdown:

Wow, all I can say is that it's so fast comparing to NYCT, when you could only get called in years! I wish you the best of luck. :cool:

NYCT is easier to get into compared to Amtrak and other freight railroads since you don't need railroad experience with the MTA.

I know for a fact that I passed everything... A few weeks later, they sent me a letter in the mail, that I wasn't qualified.. Ripped up the letter, and threw it out... To tell you the truth, I was actually a little relieved that I wasn't going to work for them. After viewing who my co-workers would be...:tdown:

Yeah I hear ya on that. I guess I'll see what happens, I've been unemployed for a few months so I can't be picky!

NYCT is easier to get into compared to Amtrak and other freight railroads since you don't need railroad experience with the MTA.

Depends what position you start at. I don't think the waiting period is worth it...

• 3 weeks later...

Went in for my test earlier this week, pretty easy since it was just a basic skills test. I have to call Monday to find out results and if I passed then I can schedule an interview. Apparently there a little over 800 applicants and they selected about 40 people to take the test for the 8 open positions. The training class begins Aug 24th so I'll know in a few weeks!

Even if your group has unsavory folks in it, doesn't mean they will get hired. The crews i've interacted with over the years have all been top noch professionals in every aspect.

- A

In my orientation to (MTA), we had a fella who was a former (MTA) train operator, who left to go work for Amtrak. He had a girl up in Maine or Vt, so he moved up there and took a tower position with Amtrak. Girl didn't last long, which was bad enough, but then his paycheck bounced! :eek:

Hightailed it back to NY & (MTA) They pulled him from the class, and sent him thru a refresher, not the full school car..

The advantage of going with Amtrak is it is a real railroad. With the experience, you can take a RR job anywhere in the country.. If I was starting out, no family/responsibilities, I'd jump on it.. All the best, learn alot, & enjoy it!

The advantage of going with Amtrak is it is a real railroad. With the experience, you can take a RR job anywhere in the country.. If I was starting out, no family/responsibilities, I'd jump on it.. All the best, learn alot, & enjoy it!

Thanks, I plan to jump on it if I get the job! Sure the starting position is extra board but that's how alot of people have started out. I'm pretty much starting over because I no longer have a desire to work in the industry I was in since I graduated college. Figured this is a great opportunity to learn! Just have to ace the interview next week and I'll be in.

• 2 weeks later...
Good job man hope all goes well for you I have a few friends who are Conductors for Canadian Pacific a bit different but hey you got a good job that's what counts.

Congrats Man :tup:

Congratulations! :tup: Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks guys! I look forward to keeping everyone posted! Anyone that ever has any questions for me, don't hesitate to send me a message.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update you guys (anyone who is interested) that I'm in my 3rd week of training here in Wilmington, still have 6 left. Had the signal indication test today and have the NORAC final on Friday. Glad those signals are out of the way though for now (had to hand write every indication for the signal). If anyone has any questions that I can answer about the hiring process or what the training is like that feel free to ask!

• 2 weeks later...
How's Wilmington and training going?

Training is going good, just hit the halfway point...one month down, one more to go. Doing air brake guidelines most of this week then car handling next week. Wilmington is ok, staying in a place down on the riverfront not too far from the training center. I definitely look forward to going home on the weekends!

Training is going good, just hit the halfway point...one month down, one more to go. Doing air brake guidelines most of this week then car handling next week. Wilmington is ok, staying in a place down on the riverfront not too far from the training center. I definitely look forward to going home on the weekends!

Good luck the rest of the way...:tup:

Archived