2009 State of Subway Report (7) is best and (C) is worst

FamousNYLover

I know this NYC Transit Forum, and many subway fans want to know about their subway lines. I not sure if anyone posted this yet.

Here is subway report card by Straphangers Campaign.

1. The best subway line in the city is (7) with a “MetroCard Rating” of $1.55. The (7) ranked highest because it performs above average on five measures: frequency of scheduled service, regularity of service, delays caused by mechanical breakdowns, seat availability and fewer dirty cars. The line did not get a higher rating because it performed average on announcements. (7) runs between Times Square in Manhattan and Flushing in Queens.

4. (C) was ranked the worst subway line, with a MetroCard Rating of 50 cents. (C) ranked worst on car breakdowns and performs below average on all five other measures: level of scheduled service, regularity of service, chance of getting a seat during rush hour, car cleanliness and announcements. (C) line operates between East New York in Brooklyn and Upper Manhattan. In last year’s survey, (W) was ranked as the worst line.

State of the Subways 2009

For more information, please see PDF

Honestly, I've had an easier time with the (C) on average vs. the (7) as far as what I like in my riding experience. (7) has great frequency, good trains, and a nice view throughout most of the line, but it's congestion level is on par with the (E) during peak hours. Given their average "intervals", I guess I've just been lucky when catching the (C).

Announcements I know I don't give a rat's a.. about, and I've never really felt the (C) to be a particularly dirty train. Some of the (F) trains rolling out of Coney are probably the dirtiest I've been on litter-wise.

Well, congrats to everyone who works & maintains the (7)<7> I guess. stealin' some of the positive press that the (L) has gotten.

100% agree with the 7 service!! Those R32s must've let down a lot of regular C customers over the last year. In all honesty, I haven't rode the C since 1998 but all I can say is that the service quality fluctuates.

actually, the surveys for this report were done during the last six months of 2008 and at that time, the (C) was exclusively R38s. so it was the R38s, not the R32s, that really let the (C) down. (C) riders were not very happy with those cars, which was why they were excited to have the R40/42s running there until they got hurt trying to catch the train. once the R32s came back, there were lots of joy from riders. so while the R38s had the best MDBF of all retiring SMEEs in 2007, that number must have plumetted in 2008, just like the R44s from 2006 to 2007. that could be why the R38s were retired first. i totally agree with the report. the (C) gave me headaches in the last half of 2008. it took a long time to come, it did not run on schedule, got super crowded during rush hours, and the R38s provided horrible announcements and were very dirty and on the brink of crumbling both structurally and mechanically (the only cars i hated more were the R42s and R44s, which you know since i constantly rant about them). now i ride it whenever i can, however, because it uses the R32s, which to me is a huge upgrade from those filthy R38s. to me, the report showed the R46s also had bad MDBF since the (R)(V)(G) were right above the (C) in the breakdown category. it also showed the R40s provided the worst announcement and i know because when they ran on the (:P, i could not understand a word the conductor was saying. if you want to know the R32 performance, look at the (E) since last year, it was pretty much the only line using those cars. it is quite glad to the (7) back on top and it ranked the best in the first four reports from 1997-2000.

The thing about the 7 is that it's perhaps the most consistent of the all the lines in the system. Even better, it runs my favorite trains of the A division; the R62As. Regarding the R38s, I believe that there was a spare parts problem since most of them had horrible roofs. I think MDBF doesn't matter anymore since they are practically unreliable as every fleet improves over time.

R32s on the (C) are not bad at all. The (C) sucks because it has many service gaps, it's basically the no show at ur graduation. I think if the (C) got R46s and ran more frequent service it can surpass the "worstest" rating.

BTW wtf? Worstest isn't a word!

The (7) line the best line in the system? I don't think so. Most or the riders are just plain ignorant. That's why the TA put those LEDs on the rollsigns. The (C) being the worse? Don't think so. If anything, the best line is the (6). The R142A's are amongst the best in the fleet and I see zero problems with the (6).

I also see zero problems with the (B) but that got rated 2nd worst line. The (B) has excellent service. Short headways, never experienced delays etc. I bet most people who rated the (B) with a low mark are people who were waiting for it on a weekend or late night thinking it would show up. These polls are not accurate. But I do agree with the (C) being worst. Even though it runs R32's (my favorites) it still experiences so many delays, it is very slow in general and it takes forever for one to actually arrive. If the (C) isn't the worst, than what is?

The (7) line the best line in the system? I don't think so. Most or the riders are just plain ignorant. That's why the TA put those LEDs on the rollsigns. The (C) being the worse? Don't think so. If anything, the best line is the (6). The R142A's are amongst the best in the fleet and I see zero problems with the (6).

While the (6) is one of the best routes in the system, the grading is far from an exact science and the (6) gets KILLED on "rush hour probability of getting a seat" which hurts it. Same with the (4) and (5).

Personally I think the (5) is the best route in the system as far as doing what it is supposed to do (ie I'm not holding it against the line that it runs shuttle late nights and doesn't always go to Flatbush). Of all the Lexington Ave lines it's the least crowded, it has some of the best maintained equipment in the system (E. 180th has won a bunch of President's awards for highest MDBF in the system), all the equipment is new and with automated announcements, and generally speaking the cars are kept clean.

But hey, these are what they are...take 'em or leave 'em:cool:

The (6) train sucks. It's hit or miss. One day you'll wait 30 seconds for a train. The next day you'll wait 15 minutes. The (7) is much more consistent. Besides crowding, it's reliable. The (C) train has been a joke for the past 10 years. Replacing the geriatric R32's with the sleek R160's has helped the (E) line improve its grade.

The (C) does seem to have the most miserable riders, and the old car, poor announcements and concerns over cleanliness does contribute. However, there is absolutely no doubting that (C) ridership has fallen (possibly due to afore-mentioned reasons), and now I can get a seat on the (C) during rush hours almost every time I get on it, usually at West 4th St or at Broadway-Nassau (so one would expect a more congested train than if taken uptown). So much so, that I actually prefer taking the (C) as far as Broadway Junction or Euclid Avenue before transferring to the (A) to continue on to the Rockaways. No one seems to want to ride the (C), poor thing. Let's hope the line recovers after the R32s are retired.

The (6) train sucks. It's hit or miss. One day you'll wait 30 seconds for a train. The next day you'll wait 15 minutes.

True, that. They bunch up somehow. Last time I was waiting for one at Astor Place, I waited nearly 12-14 minutes. Today, I was on the platform having a snack when a (6) arrived, but I decided to not get on it to avoid eating and possibly dropping food on the train, but long before finishing my snack, the next train arrived and I got on anyway.

The part I hate about the (6) is that on the approach to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall, the dispatcher inevitably holds the train outside the station to allow (4) or (5) trains to pass first. I have spent up to 5.5 minutes waiting on the train before it entered the platform and I got to transfer.

I guess I don't really agree with the consensus of the riders. But it's only based on my personal experiences.

The last time I took the (7), the (7) was bunched up so bad that most of the Queens Blvd Viaduct stations were at 74th St-B'way-type conditions. Meanwhile, the <7> passed by with the same frequency over and over (during AM Rush). Not to mention we took a hell of a long time getting into Main St. So, I didn't have a great experience with the (7)/<7>, but that doesn't mean it's a bad line. Whenever I railfan the (6), without a doubt, there's a train every 2 minutes reverse peak AM rush. But it never fails, around 9-9:30 AM, the <6> starts to back up severely, hurting riders north of Parkchester. Used to be the same with the (1), but my recent travels on it have gotten better.

So, well, I guess the riders have spoken, and they have to know their lines better than I do. But I did notice that the (3) is up there, and I can say that the line has gotten much better with increased headways during the AM rush and very consistent service (albeit every 12 minutes on the weekends).

True, that. They bunch up somehow. Last time I was waiting for one at Astor Place, I waited nearly 12-14 minutes. Today, I was on the platform having a snack when a (6) arrived, but I decided to not get on it to avoid eating and possibly dropping food on the train, but long before finishing my snack, the next train arrived and I got on anyway.

The part I hate about the (6) is that on the approach to Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall, the dispatcher inevitably holds the train outside the station to allow (4) or (5) trains to pass first. I have spent up to 5.5 minutes waiting on the train before it entered the platform and I got to transfer.

Southbound when you are entering Brooklyn Bridge and held outside the station it is because there is another (6) train still in the station blocking your entry waiting to go into the loop.

R32s aesthetically are the best of the SMEES around the system. but they do suffer from breakdowns, which has been its downfalls. people really thing the R32s are going to outlast every car class up to the R42s, but if the R32s keep breaking down they may go before the 50 R42s at East New York do.

The (C) runs 6 trains an hour. During rush hours, they run 7 trains the most. That...is...TERRIBLE! Although the (C) will become 10 cars long I still worry that theyre won't be any service increases on the (C). The (A) is hogging all the cars basically.

I also see zero problems with the (B) but that got rated 2nd worst line. The (B) has excellent service. Short headways, never experienced delays etc. I bet most people who rated the (B) with a low mark are people who were waiting for it on a weekend or late night thinking it would show up. These polls are not accurate. But I do agree with the (C) being worst. Even though it runs R32's (my favorites) it still experiences so many delays, it is very slow in general and it takes forever for one to actually arrive. If the (C) isn't the worst, than what is?

lmao exactly. dont hate on the (:D!

I don't get it either. The (7) is pretty good, but certainly not the best in the system. I'd give that honour to the (6) with a personal rating of $1.80; it has incredible headways with clean cars and clear announcements. The (A) is far too high on that list and in many ways I hate it the most. Dirty, old, dingy cars with poor service et al. For such a famous line you'd think that the MTA would care a bit more and when I need to use it there are always tourists complaining about it.

I also see zero problems with the (:P but that got rated 2nd worst line. The (:) has excellent service. Short headways, never experienced delays etc. I bet most people who rated the (B) with a low mark are people who were waiting for it on a weekend or late night thinking it would show up. These polls are not accurate.

There are always delays outside of Bedford...they really need to fix those signals up there. You would have a (D) train sitting idle waiting for the (B) to go first and it takes about 4 minutes before the (B) leaves the station and leave a big gap between every (D) train. Meanwhile, a Bedford (B) train sits outside the station for a full 7 minutes...

Happens everyday. But other than that, it's a decent line.

There are always delays outside of Bedford...they really need to fix those signals up there. You would have a (D) train sitting idle waiting for the (:P to go first and it takes about 4 minutes before the (:) leaves the station and leave a big gap between every (D) train. Meanwhile, a Bedford (B) train sits outside the station for a full 7 minutes...

Happens everyday. But other than that, it's a decent line.

Hmm.. I haven't rode it much in the Bx so I'll assume you're right. But in Brooklyn I get great service.

Archived