Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Rutgers Tube

7 Train Sets

What was the reasoning behind one 5-car set on the south end and 6 singles on the north end of the Flushing line? Was that what was available, or does it offer more options? And what advantages and/or disadvantages does that hold over two fives and a single?

When the Flushing line was built, it was under both BRT and IRT. Therefore, it was built to the length of a standard BRT platform which is the length of 11 cars in IRT standards. Since the R62As have singles, the T/A can use the platforms to their fullest.

What was the reasoning behind one 5-car set on the south end and 6 singles on the north end of the Flushing line? Was that what was available, or does it offer more options? And what advantages and/or disadvantages does that hold over two fives and a single?

By having the remaining cars as singles the (7)/<7> gets an 11-car consist. I guess if there were two five-car sets and a single at one end it wouldn't really make a difference but why it isn't like that I don't really know.

the way the R62A order was re-arranged made it that way: there are simply not enough 5 car sets to run two 5s and a single. and there are many single cars, so why not run it like that.

of course, the (MTA) could always unitize the cars, but then again, the R188's will be on the line before 2020, so why bother?

NOTE: other posters, please do not hijack this thread and turn it into another pointless R188 discussion.

I think there's over 100 Singles but like 30 something 5 car sets. so the (7) can't be a full 5-5-S set because you'd have S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S set running. Train runs in pairs and sets because they are very manageable compare to singles who can get scattered and decoupled. The R12-R21s were a nightmare because sometimes trains would get misplaced and some unit couldn't be accounted for.

There are once in a blue moon events which have a 5-5-S running or a full singles train. Then you have a few train which run single toward Time Square but that is very rare.

I think there's over 100 Singles but like 30 something 5 car sets. so the (7) can't be a full 5-5-S set because you'd have S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S-S set running. Train runs in pairs and sets because they are very manageable compare to singles who can get scattered and decoupled. The R12-R21s were a nightmare because sometimes trains would get misplaced and some unit couldn't be accounted for.

There are once in a blue moon events which have a 5-5-S running or a full singles train. Then you have a few train which run single toward Time Square but that is very rare.

I'd sure like to see that. Full railfan windows!

Does anyone know if the (7)<7> still runs any full single R62A trains? I remember they would pop up pretty often around late 2005-early 2006.

That's extremely hard to tell. My best bet would be to see for yourself. Or if you know anyone who is an MTA insider they can find out for you.

The real point of operating singles on the 7 Line is to provide 11 car trains, not to amuse railfans. In fact, I'm quite sure that the operators hate having half cabs with people peering through that small window at the Flushing ends. That's why the T/A is order trailers for the R142A conversion to the R188 fleet to get rid of operating singles. Operating singles was a hassle from the start and will always be a hassle. Like I said before, having 11 car trains is primarily to use the platforms to the fullest and ease idling times.