R40M retirement and last runs

MAA89

Does anyone know on what date and on which line the last R40M car set will run? If the information isn't available yet, could someone keep us posted about the retirement schedule? (I would check the subway car datasheet, but the Google Docs version disappeared and the one on JoeKorner is out of date). Thanks!!

Does anyone know on what date and on which line the last R40M car set will run? If the information isn't available yet, could someone keep us posted about the retirement schedule? (I would check the subway car datasheet, but the Google Docs version disappeared and the one on JoeKorner is out of date). Thanks!!

i think this is a little to early. It ill happen maybe during late summer or fall 2009 until second supplementary orders of the R160s hit the rail and eat em piece by piece~

But hey, wats the rush of getting the SMEE off? Lets be happy its still running, which its on the (R)(V)...

As for the datasheet, read this topic: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11546 where MTR starts

All I can say is that when the R40Ms go, they may not get that much of a great recognition like their Slanted counterparts did because they'll be in a mixed consist with R42s, just like how the R38s were with the R32s.

All I can say is that when the R40Ms go, they may not get that much of a great recognition like their Slanted counterparts did because they'll be in a mixed consist with R42s, just like how the R38s were with the R32s.

No. I've been seeing a lot of solid consists now of both types of trains. The R40Ms would go first followed by the R42s. The R38s on the other hand were needed in the R32 trains towards the end as there weren't enough trains replacing them.

There are not many R40Ms left, so it makes sense if they retire before the R42s.

Obviously, because they're older, although age really has nothing to do with it because the R32s are older but outlased all cars from R33 to the Slants. But the R42s have more life in them, which is why they'll stay for a little bit longer than the R40Ms.

Obviously, because they're older, although age really has nothing to do with it because the R32s are older but outlased all cars from R33 to the Slants. But the R42s have more life in them, which is why they'll stay for a little bit longer than the R40Ms.

Im sure I might be missing a few points that you have but arent the R40s in better condition then the R42s?

Im sure I might be missing a few points that you have but arent the R40s in better condition then the R42s?

It really depends. When it comes to aesthetics, the R42s bomb this category terribly. But in terms of providing service, they win. And because the R40Ms and the R42s run together since they are similar, the R40Ms can give its parts to the R42s when they are all gone and it will make the R42s last for a little while longer. So it's a 50% yes-50% no to your question.

It really depends. When it comes to aesthetics, the R42s bomb this category terribly. But in terms of providing service, they win. And because the R40Ms and the R42s run together since they are similar, the R40Ms can give its parts to the R42s when they are all gone and it will make the R42s last for a little while longer. So it's a 50% yes-50% no to your question.

ahh i see thanks for clarifying that. and ur right seeing as though the r40ms can give parts ( hopefully not the seats ) to the 42s giving them a bit of a band aid to make em last until the coming months when they retire. also they are about 200 42s while the 40ms only have about 60 cars left.

I don't think you can give R40M parts to R42s b/c they are technically different fleets. The only exception I can think of is R38 4063 which was given an R16 roof and a R42 storm, but that was an extreme emergency considering that there never really were any spare parts for R38s. The term similar means that they have the same couplers and braking system, but doesn't mean they can necessarily share other parts. If you look closer onto the roofs, the R40Ms have a more similar roof to the R32s while the R42s have a more similar roof to the R38s.

Thanks for all the valuable comments. On this note, I would like to know what determines exactly when a particular car/consist is retired? Do they just set a date and kill it on that day, no matter what the condition of the cars were? Is there a specific system that needs to stop working or work really ineffeciently before a car is considered to have given up the ghost? Do they always wait for an unrepairable failure before scrapping and reefing old cars? If R40Ms can donate some of its parts to R42s, then that suggests that the R40s would be retired before they have fallen apart (i.e. major systems are still operable on another line)?

Thanks for all the valuable comments. On this note, I would like to know what determines exactly when a particular car/consist is retired? Do they just set a date and kill it on that day, no matter what the condition of the cars were? Is there a specific system that needs to stop working or work really ineffeciently before a car is considered to have given up the ghost? Do they always wait for an unrepairable failure before scrapping and reefing old cars? If R40Ms can donate some of its parts to R42s, then that suggests that the R40s would be retired before they have fallen apart (i.e. major systems are still operable on another line)?

Well aesthetics are not a factor. Like I said before, the R42 look horrible because they have been plagued with grafitti and scratchitti from the Jamaica Line. But they run GREAT! But they're aging. They're rusting as well, which is why they're slated for retirement next year, like their 38, Slanted and Mod counterparts.

Buses go through a very similar process. Old buses give its parts to new buses. As the RTS buses are retiring, as some already have, they give their seats to middle-aged buses under repair or any compatible parts. The R40Ms can give its storm doors, side doors, windows and seats to R42s if they need to, as well as any compatible mechanism parts. This is all how the MTA saves money, so they won't be left high and dry when it comes to preserving their fleet of subway cars and buses.

The Mods will probably begin retiring around quarter 3 or quarter 4 of this year. Since the fleet is really small, their retirement will be fast. In terms of the conditions of the cars in general, the R42s should be the next after that to retire.

Both the R40M/R42's are going at the same time, I saw a set going to concourse on friday, There are less R40M's in service, I would say around between 50-44 cars left, Each week a R40M/42 and sometimes a bad pair of R32's get sent to storage for reefing. The R40M's will retire before the R42's because there are lees R40M's than R42's and its sad to say that because the R40M's are in better shape but they are both going.

They send R40M/42 consists together to the concorce yard or 207th and if no room pitkin.

Both the R40M/R42's are going at the same time, I saw a set going to concourse on friday, There are less R40M's in service, I would say around between 50-44 cars left, Each week a R40M/42 and sometimes a bad pair of R32's get sent to storage for reefing. The R40M's will retire before the R42's because there are lees R40M's than R42's and its sad to say that because the R40M's are in better shape but they are both going.

They send R40M/42 consists together to the concorce yard or 207th and if no room pitkin.

I REALLY hope they keep the R40M/R42 mismatch! (Keeping fingers crossed):cool:

I don't think they're gonna save that set,would be nice though.R42#'s 4572-73 are going to the TM fleet.

That's what I heard, especially since they were used in the French Connection.

I was thinking of the same. Except I was unsure whether or not it is going to happen. It makes perfect sense because the R40s are run with the R42s, so the moves are done quickly. You won't have to dissemble the R40s from the R42s, just so that the R40s could retire first.

They're starting the retirement process already, right?

I was thinking of the same. Except I was unsure whether or not it is going to happen. It makes perfect sense because the R40s are run with the R42s, so the moves are done quickly. You won't have to dissemble the R40s from the R42s, just so that the R40s could retire first.

They're starting the retirement process already, right?

They've already started, I believe. The R40Ms, R42s and the worst R32s from Jamaica are all going.

They've already started, I believe. The R40Ms, R42s and the worst R32s from Jamaica are all going.

Yeah, I saw a bunch of R42s and Mods hanging out at Concourse OOS last month. But I haven't really heard much from the barge, nor have I seen pictures of Mods being torn apart on Nycsubway.org

Archived