R40M retirement and last runs

MAA89

They never expected that in 40 years, their cars are really shabby

All of Budd's railcars can make up to 50 years in service, If the R11 was a Big order they would have stayed until 1997-98 a T/O that told me that, The main reason why the R11 were gone in 1980's because they only had 9 cars, 1 was involed in an accdent and it was an oddball, Just like the GE R32's, They were oddballs and if you have oddballs (good or bad shape) they are going bye-bye, there is only 1 pair of GE R32's and they are at Floyd bennet Feild for FDNY Training.

All of Budd's railcars can make up to 50 years in service, If the R11 was a Big order they would have stayed until 1997-98 a T/O that told me that, The main reason why the R11 were gone in 1980's because they only had 9 cars, 1 was involed in an accdent and it was an oddball, Just like the GE R32's, They were oddballs and if you have oddballs (good or bad shape) they are going bye-bye, there is only 1 pair of GE R32's and they are at Floyd bennet Feild for FDNY Training.

So the R32s can surpass the R44s! Too bad it just won't happen. :P

So the R32s can surpass the R44s! Too bad it just won't happen. :P

You Never Know, The R44's were surpossed to be getting their SMS and they have not gotten it yet, They were supposed to get around the Fall-winter of last year.

I think carbon steel was cheaper to make back then.

yeah i agree they prob could have stayed that long. Those cars roofs are stainless steel...the body doesnt have a spot of rust on them in the TM...they are as shiny as ever..those cars were also made to last like the R32. and plus...how much extra money would it take SLCC to make the frames of the cars stainless steel including the roof...it would have saved money in the long run, and would have kept the SMEEs from going now..imagine..that ALL SMEEs ( save r46 ) 32,38,40,42 were long lasting like the R32. just think about that...all it took was carbon steel...might have given them a few extra years. 2 late now

yeah i agree they prob could have stayed that long. Those cars roofs are stainless steel...the body doesnt have a spot of rust on them in the TM...they are as shiny as ever..those cars were also made to last like the R32. and plus...how much extra money would it take SLCC to make the frames of the cars stainless steel including the roof...it would have saved money in the long run, and would have kept the SMEEs from going now..imagine..that ALL SMEEs ( save r46 ) 32,38,40,42 were long lasting like the R32. just think about that...all it took was carbon steel...might have given them a few extra years. 2 late now

Don't forget, the R38s, R40s and R42s were made out of stainless steel, but their framework was carbon. So that screwed them over in the long run....

Misquote. I was talking about the St Louis cars, not the Budd cars.

Misquote. I was talking about the St Louis cars, not the Budd cars.

Yeah the St.Louis cars were built not to last exept the R38's and the R33's, They are still in good shape. the R38's were good until GE messed up their roofs.

Considering that back then the average lifespan of a railcar was 35 years, and the newest R42s are almost 40 years old, then I'd have to say that they are pretty long-lasting - though the GOH extended the lifespan of these cars by around 5-10 years.

Considering that back then the average lifespan of a railcar was 35 years, and the newest R42s are almost 40 years old, then I'd have to say that they are pretty long-lasting - though the GOH extended the lifespan of these cars by around 5-10 years.

Also they already started stripping R40M's and R42's from jamaica as well as some R32's from Jamaica.

i lucked out...last weekend i was on both R32 & R42's running on the (R) i also saw more on the (V) there were 40M' s mixed in i literally hugged & kissed each train i was on and said to my mom & sisters who were with me "this may be the last time i see this car"

Lol don't say that until the day the train actually retires. ;)

i lucked out...last weekend i was on both R32 & R42's running on the (R) i also saw more on the (V) there were 40M' s mixed in i literally hugged & kissed each train i was on and said to my mom & sisters who were with me "this may be the last time i see this car"

I suggest you go take some antibiotic shots. ;)

What did the train taste like?:(

• 2 weeks later...
Well said, you may miss them all you want, but remember all things come and go.

The roofs on the most R42s are really crummy and will not hold that long. They can survive for a few months at the most, but not a year.

Wait, FlushingExpress, don't you avoid R42s?

i get headaches just looking at the R42s' rusted car bodies and ugly interiors. i do my best to avoid them, but sometimes i cannot. good thing they are on the (V) now, though, which i do not need to ride often.

I seriously don't want to cross anyone's line here and perhaps Flushingexpress in fact had as bad of experiences with the R44 fleet as I had with some others. What I've stated was out of curiosity, but no offense was intended. Sorry if it caused a confusion. Anyhow, I have enough time tomorrow to perhaps have my last railfanwindow express run on an R32 A train. If anyone would like the video in HD, just search my youtube account.

i hated the R44s since the first time i rode them four years ago. idk about you, but every time i ride them, something has to break or malfunction, including the door chimes, lights, side signs, air-conditioners, the list goes on. i only began hating the R42s last year. when they ran exclusively on the (J)(M)(Z), i never paid attention to their looks even though i had to ride those lines often during 2007 and early 2008. it was not until the R42s began running on the (A)(E) in place of the R32s that i realized how horrible they truly are.

the R11s were one of many victims of the Second Avenue Subway collapse. there is something about the R160A delivery to ENY that you seem to overlook R32 3838 and that is there are two other yards that care for the eastern division. they seem to have a surplus of R160s, which is why only 32 are needed to replace the 50 R42s at ENY.

Yeah the St.Louis cars were built not to last exept the R38's and the R33's, They are still in good shape. the R38's were good until GE messed up their roofs.

that is why the GE R32s ended getting retired so quickly as well. if MK had rebuild the R38s, they probably still be in service since they had the best MDBF of all retiring cars in 2007, though i think that number dropped in 2008 since the (C) had the worst breakdown rate of all lines in the 2009 State of the Subways Report Card.

kiss a train and the first thing you better do when you get home is put soap in your mouth.

My first ride on the R32 was as good as my first ride in the subway with the R44, but things went downhill gradually and even sometimes with "sudden shocks of disappointment." The R42s were almost the same as the R40/As, but the R40/As have the best A/C. In fact the only two fleets that I've experienced with A/C failure were the R32 and R42.

Archived