Laptop question

DOB2RTO

I have an laptop CPU that stopped working due to the fan dying and hard drive frying. It is an HP Pavilion ze1230 notebook CPU. Can I buy an external hard drive, plug it up by USB connection, and don't worry about an internal hard drive and fan for the laptop? I seen some powerful external hard drives.......

I do have a desktop, which is what I have been using for a few years now. Just want to fix up the laptop, without taking it apart.........

I have an laptop CPU that stopped working due to the fan dying and hard drive frying. It is an HP Pavilion ze1230 notebook CPU. Can I buy an external hard drive, plug it up by USB connection, and don't worry about an internal hard drive and fan for the laptop? I seen some powerful external hard drives.......

I do have a desktop, which is what I have been using for a few years now. Just want to fix up the laptop, without taking it apart.........

Time to buy a new laptop, yours is outdated and old. Prices have dropped. If you need it as a 2nd computer in case something goes wrong with your desktop you can buy a new laptop in the $500.00-$700.00 range.

I think you can replace the fan inside the CPU.

But why use an external HDD if it isnt the best for Primary use, external is meant for back ups not as the default.. If you were on your PC and make a mistake and disconnect the USB wire your whole PC will freeze cuz the External HDD was unpluged which is set as Default (x:\) x= letter of Prim HDD on Windows such as C:\

Also it might be better to get a Desktop then a laptop if you normally dont travel with it since its easier to replace components within the System unit.

Before you do anything, contact the Manufacture of your Notebook and see what they say. If you got a warrenty, use it up for this.

Edit: Seems like your PC is way old: http://www.amazon.com/Pavilion-ZE1230-Notebook-Computer-processor/dp/B00006ADJI

I think it might be time to get a new one, you can one off ebay for like $200 refurbished if you want a cheap one or get one new.. But first check with HP of course..

If you end up getting a new laptop, don't get an HP. I've had so many HP devices which were total crap and ended up dying after a year or so. I've had 3 HP printers that simply stopped working maybe a few months after the warranty expired. If you're staying with Windows I suggest getting a Sony Vaio. They look like the best laptops I've seen besides MacBooks.

When a portable/'book/laptop overheats its done. I say look on craigslist or ebay.

If those don't work you can check out 2 sites i frequent to look for affordable computers for people.

http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple_Notebooks_s/5.htm

http://www.powermax.com/preowned_macs

There are other sites where you can get both mac and pc cheaply, but usually the cheaper pc's are much older than the macs, and the pc stuff can tend to be more prone to needing to be newer to be more useful, but get whatever suits your needs & preferences. :cool:

Good luck!

- A

Look at refurbished Dells on their outlet site. I bought a refurb Dell Latitude for cheap (I paid $1200 for a $1700 machine) and been loving it ever since. Comes with a warranty and the whole nine yards.

I wouldn't recommend an older PowerPC-based (G4/G5, etc...) Mac at all. It's an obsolete architecture that was phased out for a reason.

Post moderated.

This site is not a microsoft advertising partner. Please refrain from trying to sell or promote windows OS or windows based pc's on behalf of microsoft or any/all windows OS licensed hardware vendors. The same goes for apple and mac related personal computing products. Thank you for understanding.

- A

Lets not turn this into a Mac Vs. PC war. I personally use Macs daily but i still like Windows and other PC's. They're both good, people just have their preferences. Btw if calculate spec by spec, Macs are not more expensive than PC's. I'll link two videos to prove my point.

If you end up getting a new laptop, don't get an HP. I've had so many HP devices which were total crap and ended up dying after a year or so. I've had 3 HP printers that simply stopped working maybe a few months after the warranty expired. If you're staying with Windows I suggest getting a Sony Vaio. They look like the best laptops I've seen besides MacBooks.

I had a Compaq/HP and it was nothing but problems. Apparently they don't know how to solder parts correctly so the computer will stop taking power and the battery won't charge...known defect that they won't fix if the warranty's up (:P(S):tdown: Have to get a new computer soon, been using my work one most of the last few months, but when I do it won't be an Compaq/HP...

I was going to give it to someone, but now I'll just scrap it. Don't need another CPU, as my desktop is good enough for me. Had 250GB, that went belly up around X-mas, so I got a 500GB Hard Drive. My desktop is more than I need for now........

I was going to give it to someone, but now I'll just scrap it. Don't need another CPU, as my desktop is good enough for me. Had 250GB, that went belly up around X-mas, so I got a 500GB Hard Drive. My desktop is more than I need for now........

Or instead of doing that you can sell it on ebay. A lot of people buy stuff even if its broken.. Of course you can scrap some parts out of it, keep it and sell the rest still..

Or keep it for yourself for parts or something..

Thats cool, if your desktop suits your needs thats fine. But if you buy another computer, I urge you not to buy HP. Maybe you could build your own PC! Thats a fun project. I definitely wanna do that someday

Or keep it for yourself for parts or something..

That's what I would do.

Thats cool, if your desktop suits your needs thats fine. But if you buy another computer, I urge you not to buy HP. Maybe you could build your own PC! Thats a fun project. I definitely wanna do that someday

That's what I would do.

I am too busy, waaayyyyyyy too lazy, and have very very little patience for that project. I hate reading long winded manuals on how to put something together........

I am too busy, waaayyyyyyy too lazy, and have very very little patience for that project. I hate reading long winded manuals on how to put something together........

Buy me a pack of beers and I'll build it for you. You would just have to cover the costs of the parts. All my machines have been custom built by myself.

I use an external HDD as primary for all my data, program backups etc. Only software and the OS is on the the internal drive.

My dad taught me this so I don't lose all my data in the event of a reformat. Problem is, I don't know how long my external drive will last with the constant access. My computer can't function well without it anymore.

I use an external HDD as primary for all my data, program backups etc. Only software and the OS is on the the internal drive.

My dad taught me this so I don't lose all my data in the event of a reformat. Problem is, I don't know how long my external drive will last with the constant access. My computer can't function well without it anymore.

Well you got everything the wrong wrong way, the correct way:

Internal= Primamry(Your OS and software)

External= Secondary(Your Backup, your files[Docs, pics, etc.] and and some software if you want].

If you were to move your external HDD to another system, your BIOS would have to check it of course. But if the OS isn't compatible with any hardware there your fried...

Thankfully all of my photos and my videos and music and iPhone apps are on either my iPod, or my iPhone, so i'm all set. It sucks though to go from having the flexibility of a portable to only having a desktop, i've gone through that many times. :cry:

- A

Archived