Railfan Trip 8/10/2009

I am currently planning a railfanning trip on 24/7/2009. It is a Friday and I am going to focus on:

-SMEEs on the V

-Catching a SMEE F

-Catching the R32 A

-9th Avenue (West End)

-Penn Station (to snap pics of Amtrak, NJT and LIRR)

-Busfanning at Union Square (not so crowded if you know where to take pics)

The chronological order will be:

-Meeting up at Forest Hills, downtown platform, first car position for the V

-Ride the V straight to 2nd Avenue

-Catch the F (SMEE) to Smith for a photo-op

-Catch the next F to Ditmas for a photo-op

-Catch the next F to Coney Island (we will make a pit stop here, in case if people drank too much or something)

-Photo op at Coney

-Take the D to 9th Avenue for photo op

-Take the next D to 34th Street

**LUNCH BREAK**

-Walk to Penn Station for photos

-Proceed to 8th Avenue, wait for a SMEE A

-Ride it to the Rockaways if time permits

-If we do not have much time, we will ride it to Broadway Junction and catch the L back

-If we do make it to the Rockaways, we will take it back to Broadway Jct and fetch the L

-Take the L from either scenario to Union Square for busfanning

End trip

I will do the times later, when people start replying to this.

I am open to comments and questions.

No more SMEE's on the (F). There were some this week due to R160s probably out for inspection but the (F) will be all R46/R160 next week probably. I also wanna railfan w/ Maserati, could we do it the week after next so everyone's available? My time is limited because I have to volunteer for a summer enrichment thing for service credit.

BTW, can we please to the WPR and Dyre lines?

Could we do August 3rd so it's still on a weekday and Maserati can come (so you can accomodate everyone who wants to come)? Sorry for asking you to make these changes.

Fine the 3rd of August, then. I'll squeeze in a bit of the Bronx in.

You guys don't mind on starting an EARLY trip, eh?

Thanks. I'm fine with early morning as long as it's reasonable (i.e. meet at 7-9 AM). Also, taking a leaf out of Railfan trip planning 101, you should organize places where people can meet up (i.e. Queens Plaza, Delancey/2nd, etc.) since I doubt everyone wants to travel into Queens if they live in the Bronx or BKlyn.

Thanks. I'm fine with early morning as long as it's reasonable (i.e. meet at 7-9 AM). Also, taking a leaf out of Railfan trip planning 101, you should organize places where people can meet up (i.e. Queens Plaza, Delancey/2nd, etc.) since I doubt everyone wants to travel into Queens if they live in the Bronx or BKlyn.

I will give several options here.

Can a mod please change the date to 8/3/09 since it is not going to be today? Because I don't want this to end up locked.

As for the plan:

I will focus on these:

-SMEE V

-9th Avenue in Brooklyn

-Penn Station (so that we can get some shots of the LIRR, NJT and Amtrak)

-207th Yard

-SBS

-Dyre Avenue Line

-East 180th Street and Unionport Yard (and also try to get shots of the old right of way)

I'm glad the date is changed. I will do my best to come. For the summer I have a house in NJ and the only way for me to come to NYC is if my brother could drive me or I take NJ Transit to Penn Station. My brother is most likely going to Brooklyn that day so I could probably get a ride and meet you guys along the way in BK (once you get the time tables worked out). If my brother can't Drive me I'll just meet you guys at Penn Station. It's a big place so maybe corner of 7th Ave and 34th street? You'll be walking in that direction from Herald Square anyway.

Just a little tip about Penn Station you can't get down to the Amtrak/NJT platforms without a ticket. However you can get to the LIRR platforms without a ticket, sometimes NJT & Amtrak trains do stop on the LIRR platforms (Mostly from 2PM through the PM Rush). The two times I railfanned at Penn Station (Both times on the LIRR platforms) NJT and Amtrak trains came on the LIRR side. I cought NJT multilevels, Arrow IIIs, mixed Comet salads, ALP 44s, ALP 46s and Amtrak's AEM7s all on the LIRR platforms the two times I fanned there. I'm Pretty sure the Acela sometimes stops on the LIRR side as well. Btw the easy way to get to the NYP LIRR platforms is on the west side of the station, I sorta forgot how you get there but its near on the exits of the (A)(C)(E) lines. You could just follow the signs from the 8th ave subway to the LIRR.

Archived