R32 Retirement

lilbluefoxie

It would make sense for the R32's to run on the (J)(Z) before retirement. Those R42's need to go, and the R32's are clearly in better condition. I don't think there is an argument about that. Even if you don't like the R32's, you must admit they are in the best condition out of all 60' SMEE's.

As always, durability is more preferred over MDBF. In addition, the R32 has a lot of spare parts as some Phase Is were already retired to give parts to trains that need them. The R42s on the other hand have nothing but rusted sheets when they retire a train for parts.

As always, durability is more preferred over MDBF. In addition, the R32 has a lot of spare parts as some Phase Is were already retired to give parts to trains that need them. The R42s on the other hand have nothing but rusted sheets when they retire a train for parts.

R32 MDBF 2007: 112550

R42 MDBF 2007: 111890

I know you like to say the R32's "always have mechanical problems and always break down" but actually they're better in this case.

Sorry for the confusion, but I was sort of referencing the R38s in how they were the best performing but rotting the worst. Unfortunately, I'm just one of the rare unlucky ones in R32 breakdowns.

I heard they give door problems. But you can't retire a subway car just because the doors don't work!

I heard they give door problems. But you can't retire a subway car just because the doors don't work!

Yes, the car will stay in service if a couple door leafs have to be cut out (stay in the closed position and don't open), but if a guard light won't go off (red light above the door that indicates a door is open and prevents the T/O from moving the train), that IS cause to take a train out of service.

The one reason why some of you young ones have not had a train break down is because maintenance is not that much of an issue as it was back in the 80s and before that. It was not uncommon for trains to breakdown. Also, there were very slow speed restrictions due to somewhat unsafe trackbed conditions and poor state of repair all along most of the subway. However, upkeep became a huge priority in the late 80s and early 90s with the GOH program and the purchase of R62 and R68s. They helped the subway survive after the disgraceful performance of the R44/46 that needed old R10s in greenbird paint schemes to save the day and resume service on my 8th avenue line. I'm just glad the subway was saved and resurrected. People back then took the subway for granted and did not appreciate it until it became very dilapidated. Just like everything else in life you don't know what you have until you either lose it or almost lose it.

People speculated the (V) wouldnt run SMEEs and there they are. So everybody just needs to take a chill pill and play the waiting game instead of cutting at each others throats. So what if the R32s end up on (insert random line here). Is it gonna change your commute? You gonna ride a different line just cuz they show up there? Does it matter which fleet gets retired first? Everything gets replaced by something else. You either whine about it or go out on a dozen fan trips where its exciting for a week and then move on.

I normally don't say anything in context to this but the reality of it is you are all SPECULATING about the future which is never written in stone to begin with. Some actually arguing to the point of making personal attacks against (random user here): which is violation of forum rules to begin with. If you can't discuss these topics maturely then you're wasting your time and words.

I agree with you.

At the same time I can admit that I stopped riding the (E) for a while pre R160s hitting the line. I couldn't deal with the R32s and R42. Taking the (F) added like 10-15 mins to my commute but I didn't have to worrying about dying from a heat stroke or losing my hearing becuase of screeching brakes (overexaggeration I know, but it was pretty bad for a while).

I had an R42 (J) a couple sundays ago and it wasn't bad for the most part. Both the R32s and R42s are old as hell though and whatever problems one doesn't have the other does. Also lets remember its just 32 cars, there's a possibility that some days they won't even see (J)/(Z) service.

Why is it that they can't just fix the Eastern Division so it can run 10 car trains and 75 foot cars?

Why is it that they can't just fix the Eastern Division so it can run 10 car trains and 75 foot cars?

The same reason most of these crazy "make the A division able to fit B division cars" type ideas don't work:

Time.

and

Money.

Try explaining to people who use the (J)(M)(Z)(L) lines that they won't have service until this massive construction project is done. Likewise try funding hundreds of millions of dollars (and quite likely billions) to pay for it all

Trust Me I been on trains that break down, But the R32's that Broke down the Most were the Phase II's, The Phase I's don't brakedown as much, The main reason why an R32 is taken out of service is due to a window problem, That's about it, Any Train Breaks down, Even the R160's, But 1 thing for sure R42's break down more than R32's, And to R44 5278, The reason Why the R38's were more reliable was because when they got an SMS in 2001-2002, They took Motors from the Redbirds, Mainly R36's and they put the motors in the R38's to replace those Westinghouse motors, That's why the R38's had less brakedowns.

The same reason most of these crazy "make the A division able to fit B division cars" type ideas don't work:

Time.

and

Money.

Try explaining to people who use the (J)(M)(Z)(L) lines that they won't have service until this massive construction project is done. Likewise try funding hundreds of millions of dollars (and quite likely billions) to pay for it all

I know that, but I really meant was why was the Eastern Division built in a way that it couldn't handle 10 car or 75 car trains? The rest of the system built by the BMT can handle full length trains.

Also I know that 75 foot cars would swipe each other going towards the Williamsburg Br, so why wasn't that fixed when they redid that part of the line in the 90s?, what stops them from running on the (L)? and what would have to be done to make the lines fit full length trains?

I know that, but I really meant was why was the Eastern Division built in a way that it couldn't handle 10 car or 75 car trains? The rest of the system built by the BMT can handle full length trains.

Because a lot of the (J)(M)(Z)(L) line was not built by the BMT, it was built by the BRT back in the days of el cars and before subways, and before BMT Standards (67' cars) were even dreamt of so it was built to those specs. No one had even dreamt of 75 foot subway cars at this point.

Also I know that 75 foot cars would swipe each other going towards the Williamsburg Br, so why wasn't that fixed when they redid that part of the line in the 90s?, what stops them from running on the (L)? and what would have to be done to make the lines fit full length trains?

The (L) it's the same thing as it always is with longer cars where it's a problem. Center excess and end excess would foul the tunnel or other objects, or trains passing on the opposite track.

It wouldn't get rebuilt because of what is involved. Platforms would have to be extended 120 feet. Clearances everywhere would have to be adjusted. That means everything. That means the position of wayside signals close to curves. Platforms on stations situated on curves. Literally everything. This will never happen with the (L) because closing it to do this work is not an option because of the number of people who rely on it day in and day out.

The (J)(M)(Z) are not so crowded as to require this. They do just fine with the equipment, layout, and intervals they run.

Archived