New 75' cars?!?!?!?

Far Rock Depot

Contrary to what most think, the MTA doesn't really have to order all 60ft cars for the B Div. They really don't need to worry about getting an all the same length fleet, so all B Div cars can run on all B Div lines. That is why with the option order of R160s, they will have spare cars to run on all B Div lines. The 75ft cars (if this is what they will be) will only run on those B Div lines that can handle them of course, and it would make sense like others (on other boards) say. It is cheaper to replace a 8 75ft cars with 8 75ft cars, than with 10 60ft cars. 2 extra cars means extra motors and trucks to buy and to maintain. Why do that?

Not if they decide to have them come with 5 doors instead.

I don't like that idea, besides, you're still short a few doors. Five doors sounds a little awkward to me, the most I believe a subway car should have is 4. Do we really need 10 doors per car? We deal fine with 8 and even 6... :D

I don't like that idea, besides, you're still short a few doors. Five doors sounds a little awkward to me, the most I believe a subway car should have is 4. Do we really need 10 doors per car? We deal fine with 8 and even 6... :D

A 60ft car comes with 4 doors, and we are talking about a car 15ft longer which means it hold alot more people. IMO, 5 doors is needed on any new NYCTA 75ft subway cars. An 8 car 75ft subway car with 10 doors per car (5 each side), would have 80 doors. That is the same as an 8 door 60ft subway car with 10 cars.

A 60ft car comes with 4 doors, and we are talking about a car 15ft longer which means it hold alot more people. IMO, 5 doors is needed on any new NYCTA 75ft subway cars. An 8 car 75ft subway car with 10 doors per car (5 each side), would have 80 doors. That is the same as an 8 door 60ft subway car with 10 cars.

Good point there. I just never had a great love for 5 doors per side, but I can learn to love I suppose.

I heard it going to look like the R160 but i wonder what lines will get the R179 my guess is the 8th ave lines

Definatly expect them in Staten island. Ill bet money on it. As far as 5

doors, somehow i dont see that happening. You might see a whole lot of complaints about less seating like on the 110's. i see 4 doors but extra windows along the sides. Im even working on a 75' car design that would run in SI that i started in the spring just for the practice!

Would these 75' cars, have seating arrangements like the current R160s?, or like the R44/46/68/68A's?

I hate the seating arrangements on the R44/46/68/68As. It creates a lot of door jamming problems on those trains. I hope the MTA figured that out by now.

Haha, a 15 DEGREE slant? The most NYCT ever saw was 10...that would be kind of cool, but I'm not sure that could work for some reason...

And yeah, I think the R179 should be 60 footers because into the future, the MTA is going to look into putting those screen doors to prevent litter and people from falling onto the tracks. They won't line up properly if the B division uses subway cars with 2 different car lengths. And I'd stick with bench seating. I know a lot of people who say "ew, in bench seating you actually TOUCH PEOPLE!".

Three words. The 6 train.

The SIR is barley used anyway. There's so many rumors about SIR it's not even funny! I heard talk of getting rid of the 3rd Rail in favor of DMU's or Installing catenary wires!!! None of which it gonna happen (or at least I hope). Another is giving SIR modified R160's or Shifting over some R68's. Again, that's not gonna happen. So what is? I'm so confused about the M-8 rumor now talk about a R179? Where's this money coming from.

(P.S. The only rumor I DO believe is a light rail connection to Jersey via the Bayonne Bridge.)

The SIR is barley used anyway. There's so many rumors about SIR it's not even funny! I heard talk of getting rid of the 3rd Rail in favor of DMU's or Installing catenary wires!!! None of which it gonna happen (or at least I hope). Another is giving SIR modified R160's or Shifting over some R68's. Again, that's not gonna happen. So what is? I'm so confused about the M-8 rumor now talk about a R179? Where's this money coming from.

(P.S. The only rumor I DO believe is a light rail connection to Jersey via the Bayonne Bridge.)

The SIR is used alot more than you think Pal;). Its crazy during rush hours. i grew up in Staten Island, riding the SIR for 20 + Years. Its used alot

• 1 year later...
Well, the R-179's is replacing the R-44's and possibly R-46's but I don't like those arrangements of the R-32, R-38, R-40, R-40 Slant, R-40M, R-42 and NTT R-142, R-143 and R-160's... Too much touch to each other and especially the 'bottom area'... I don't want to touch your sweat after your workout!!!

I hope it is more curved for individuals on the R-179 and R-188, and hope there are a different color other than 'boring blue'...

The only reason that there are benches on the trains, and no more bucket seats, is because people complained that the buckets were too small or too large. (MTA) did away with it by putting benches back.

I fit into the buckets, so I don't really care which seating they use, but it's highly unlikely they will use buckets, unless it's a really shallow one like on the R110B.

Archived