Retired Trains you miss the most?

lilbluefoxie

I'll definently miss the R-40 Slants, Redbirds and R-32's... I grew up riding them very frequently especially the memory of transfering between a R-32 (E) and Redbird (7) at the old Roosevelt Ave/74th Broadway Station, oh the good ol' days. Also, I enjoyed riding Slants cruising to Coney Island, :(.

Well the R32's are still here... so catch while you can. They're on the (A)(C)(R)(V).

Which redbird are you talking about. R33WF - R36WF.?

and the (7) R33WF - R36 WF are not consider oldest car on

the (7). the oldest redbird that ran in into service was R26

#7750 - #7949 on (5) ( R26 was consider the oldest car

that ran into service.

He's not saying that they are the oldest, he's saying that those are the one's that he misses.

I miss the redbirds-especially on the (7)<7>. I feel like ever since these R62As have arrived, there have been more and more screwups with them. More breakdowns, more trackwork more of everything except quality service. When the redbirds were on the (7) line, it was rated the best line in the city many times. Now, it's lucky it makes the top 5. I just wish they could've stayed around a little longer than they did.

The redbirds also had much better A/C than the R62As. However, 1 thing I will say positive about the R62As on the (7) is that they are kept in great condition. Otherwise, blech.

I can't tolerate the R142/R142As. They look like they've had it...ALREADY! And they're just about to make their 10th Anniversary. Very sad.

As far as the Slants, I just like them for their uniqueness to the NYC Subway System. They too also had great A/C.

I don't approve of these R160s at all. They have a very unpleasant odor inside of them. They are very boring to railfan. They all look the same. They're too bright. No railfan window. They lack the uniqueness that the older cars have had.

My feelings are the same in regards to the M7s on LIRR and MNRR.

Like it or not, this is way the (MTA) wants things to be. There have been so many changes made in 10 years and in my opinion, it is not for the better. For me, since I'm not an avid fan of these high tech cars, I think once all of the oldies are done for, my subway and rail fanning days will be placed on a very limited basis. They just don't do it for me.

And before you all ask, I feel the bus industry is even worse. The only new buses that I approve of are the Orion V Suburbans at WCBL and the new look MCIs. Everything else-PATHETIC!:tdown:

For me: I.R.T. the R15s. They were unique with their round railfan window and round door windows.

The R36s. I loved these subway cars in their original Aquamarine and Cream paint scheme and became a fan of them on the (7).

B.M.T. and IND. the R16s. They, too, had a round railfan window. I remember them on the (M) and (EE).

Archived