BL20-GH into GC?

mark1447

Is there a reason why the MNCRR's BL20-GH with Shoreliners used on the NH cant be used down here in NYC besides the Genesis P32AC-DMs?

btw when ansing can u plz ans in an easy way to understand. I dunno in-depth info on Railroads, but trying to learn besides NYCT..

From what I checked, it's a 100% diesel engine and doesn't have a way to take power from the 3rd rail. You can't run diesel engines into Grand Central Terminal. Also, if you're going to ask people to post answers in a simple way for you to understand, you should return them the favor by asking said question with proper spelling so that then can understand you as well. :(

The BL20GHs are generally assigned to either yard duty or the short CT lines (i.e. Danbury, New Canaan, Waterbury).

Keeping the diesels out of the tunnels is a priority of both MNR and LIRR. If the need arises however, they have no choice but to send one down.

From what I checked, it's a 100% diesel engine and doesn't have a way to take power from the 3rd rail. You can't run diesel engines into Grand Central Terminal. Also, if you're going to ask people to post answers in a simple way for you to understand, you should return them the favor by asking said question with proper spelling so that then can understand you as well. :(

Thx for the ans even tho Maintenance MNCR trains are dieseled if im correct, and next time you can PM me instead of saying it out load ;)

@Joe - What about the maintenance train are they able to get in to tunnel if there wasa train thats OOS cuz of a problem?

Many tunnels in NY have poor ventilation due to the amount of buildings, existing subway tunnels and sewer lines in the city. The Mount Royal Tunnel in Quebec, The Baltimore tunnels and the Philadelphia Center City Tunnel all are in the same boat.

For that reason, only electric engines allowed in theses tunnels so that trains can move in and out. The P32ACDM and DE30s was built specifically for theses tunnels. Then you got the incoming ALP-45DPs and long gone FL-9s who use electric in the tunnels but diesel outside.

Now the BLs are 100% straight diesel and going into Grand Central (a dead end tunnel) can cause massive fumes that can make someone especially a asthmatic pass out. Now if it was Penn Station or the Center City Tunnel in Philly, the BLs are allowed to pass by but only if it's turned off while being towed let's say by an ALP-44.

If I remember correctly, Genesis engines are allowed to idle in GCT on outbound trains, they must use 3rd rail power though. Inbound trains must have the engines off. FL9's are allowed in GCT at restricted speed and power, and must not be in revenue service.

PSNY is different. Even a diesel idling can cause big problems.

The revenue diesel locomotives you see in GCT are dual mode, diesel and 3rd rail electric, and are taking power off the third rail. They run as diesel underground only if they wind up in a gap in the 3rd rail, like at a switch. Other than for backup or emergencies, diesel power is not allowed in GCT.

The BL20GH's are only set up to run as diesels and don't have the 3rd rail gear so you won't see them in GCT. The now extinct FL-9s used to be dual mode but in the last couple of years MN stripped out the 3rd rail gear so they were only diesel trains and stopped running into GCT.

So you wanna see BL20GH's you gotta come outta the tunnel :(

• 4 weeks later...

Actually diesels can, and do travel into GCT on a daily basis. The BL20's have made at least half a dozen trips into GCT on lite engine equipment moves. Dual mode trains are supposed to run into GCT in electric, but the GP35's work in GCT on 4 different work trains a day. When running in diesel, or on a straight diesel in GCT, you are supposed to only use the lower notches on the throttle. The fumes can be bad if you have a real smoker, but there are alot of ventilation hatches on the north ends of the platforms and across the GCT complex to help assist in getting rid of the fumes.

BL20GH is meant for diesel branch service, not main branch GCT service. For example (MTA) just got a few for SIR. In an emergency, the dispatchers will do what they have to, even if it means sending a diesel loco down the tunnel for a short distance, but that's only if there are no better options. Even sending a pure diesel down the west side line into NYP would make more sense than into GCT. Also they could reverse the trains at 125th st before ever needing to go near the tunnel.

Empire service gennies sit out near the 9th ave bridge over the NYP ladder when in the interior (under the station) storage yard, when in service they sit on one of the tracks (usually the same one) that have a long platform towards the west facing portal. Gennies at GCT sit far down the platform closer to the park ave vents on the upper level, only the electrics from olden times ever came in on engine first moves.

Even at hoboken terminal, the diesel powered trains always come in cab car first, you will see an electric loco here and there on the concourse end of the platform though.

- A

Even at hoboken terminal, the diesel powered trains always come in cab car first, you will see an electric loco here and there on the concourse end of the platform though.

Diesel's can and will come into Hoboken Engine first. There is no rule against it, however its frowned upon.

Sorry to go off topic.

Diesel's can and will come into Hoboken Engine first. There is no rule against it, however its frowned upon.

Sorry to go off topic.

Not off topic!

Ya, i know, in railroading, if it's physically possible, it may happen, even if it's not supposed to. Just saying they don't wanna rattle pax & the old terminal building more than they need to before getting under way. :cool:

I've seen alp-44 and alp-46 sitting right by the concourse plenty of times, because they don't vibrate, they sound more like a HVAC unit on steroids. :cool:

Teh ones i was talkin bout:

NYC_Electric.jpg

nyc223.jpg

:tup:

- A

BL20GH is meant for diesel branch service, not main branch GCT service. For example (MTA) just got a few for SIR. In an emergency, the dispatchers will do what they have to, even if it means sending a diesel loco down the tunnel for a short distance, but that's only if there are no better options. Even sending a pure diesel down the west side line into NYP would make more sense than into GCT. Also they could reverse the trains at 125th st before ever needing to go near the tunnel.

Again, diesels are used in GCT everyday, and its not an emergency. Like I said, BL20's have made it into GCT, granted not on regular passenger trains, but indeed on lite engine equipment moves...

Again, diesels are used in GCT everyday, and its not an emergency. Like I said, BL20's have made it into GCT, granted not on regular passenger trains, but indeed on lite engine equipment moves...

Yes, i know, they keep some MOW stuff on the unused tracks at GCT.

You forgot to mention those BL14 creatures that they bought for work in GCT.

I've seen those! :eek:

- A

Sort of. Electric sets can face any direction but they do go around the sunnyside loop and that may have caused it to come in that way. Diesel sets are tried to keep with the engine facing west but you know stuff happens. I will say that most sets I do see come in engine first originated in Bay Head but thats not always the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived