Would it be weird to have a #(8) or a #(11) line added to the system?

LandoftheLost

LOL ( Laugh out Loud) If Lexington Avenue Line would like to see that

we need ( 8) line. How about new line be created for Flushing

Avenue that (1)(1) line

............................ummmmm............well......ummmmmm.................wow......ummmmm....r u talking about adding a liine on da flushing line?.......(reading ur tread for the 8th time).....yea ur talking about adding a line on the flushing line...yep....well I don't think they need it really and the lex line can't take anymore it have a big load as is.....

Its nearly a century with having 7 be flushing local and express, and 6 be lexington local and semi-express (since its only express in teh bronx). The only reason they do it on other lines is that they go somewhere different the 2 and 3 are both 7 avenue express but they end up in different places, the N and R end in different spots, theres exceptions like the W and C but (C) went to a different place than the A originally and the W is Astoria-Broadway, while the R is Queens Blvd-Broadway-4 Ave

I would make this argument. If all you want to do is replace the <7> with an (11) line, that is really just a matter of labeling more than anything else and it wouldn't be worth the hassle of changing all the signs and subway maps. However, I have an idea to improve service on the Flushing line.

1) Make the line four-track the entire way, from Main St to Times Square.

2)Build a new express stop at 74 St/Roosevelt Av.

3) Continue the (7)<7> extenstion south via 11 Av to 14 St/Chelsea Piers, with express stops at 34 St/Javits Ctr and 14 St/Chelsea Piers and local stops at 42 St/11 Av, 28 St, and 23 St.

4)Make Main St/Flushing five-track, with locals to/from Manhattan on the two outer tracks, express trains to/from Manhattan on the two inner tracks, and short-turning trains on the center track.

5)Extend the express train (most likely the (7)) east via Northern Blvd to 221 St/Rock Memorial Sq.

6)Extend one of the locals(designated as(10) or (11) trains) south via Main St and Sutphin Blvd to Union Turnpike.

7)Extend the other local north via Parsons Blvd/9 Av to Clintonville/162 St.

8)Build a five-track bi-level station at 14 St/Chelsea Piers, with the locals termintaing on a three-track upper level and the (7) express stopping on the lower level and then continuing southwest.

9) Send the (7) to Newark Airport via new tunnels under the Hudson, with the following stops:

Hoboken PATH Terminal

Jersey Av

Newark Av(on Jersey Av)

Grand/Montgomery Sts (on Jersey Av)

Garfield Av(on Grand St)

Carteret Av(on Garfield Av)

Black Tom Rd(on Garfield Av)

Eastern Pkwy(on Garfield Av)

Danforth Av(on Garfield Av)

John F. Kennedy Bl(at 63 St)

Port Newark(Olympia Dr at Navy St)

Newark Airport Railway Station

Late nights whichever local receives less service will operate as a shuttle between Main St-Flushing and either Union Turnpike or Clintonville.

This service change benefits Queens riders who want to get in and out of Manhattan more quickly, northeastern Queens customers who now get one-seat access to Manhattan without having to take a bus, New Jersey commuters who need to get into New York but work on the East Side (no paying double for PATH and then subway or bus), New Yorkers who work at the airport (again no double paying for PATH and then bus or rail), and Jersey City/Bayonne dockworkers who work at Port Newark (direct service to/from the port via Garfield Av/Grand St/Jersey Av). Feedback would be appreciated!

I would make this argument. If all you want to do is replace the <7> with an (11) line, that is really just a matter of labeling more than anything else and it wouldn't be worth the hassle of changing all the signs and subway maps. However, I have an idea to improve service on the Flushing line.

3) Continue the (7)<7> extenstion south via 11 Av to 14 St/Chelsea Piers, with express stops at 34 St/Javits Ctr and 14 St/Chelsea Piers and local stops at 42 St/11 Av, 28 St, and 23 St.

4)Make Main St/Flushing five-track, with locals to/from Manhattan on the two outer tracks, express trains to/from Manhattan on the two inner tracks, and short-turning trains on the center track.

5)Extend the express train (most likely the (7)) east via Northern Blvd to 221 St/Rock Memorial Sq.

6)Extend one of the locals(designated as(10) or (11) trains) south via Main St and Sutphin Blvd to Union Turnpike.

8)Build a five-track bi-level station at 14 St/Chelsea Piers, with the locals termintaing on a three-track upper level and the (7) express stopping on the lower level and then continuing southwest.

9) Send the (7) to Newark Airport via new tunnels under the Hudson, with the following stops:

Hoboken PATH Terminal

Jersey Av

Newark Av(on Jersey Av)

Garfield Av(on Grand St)

Late nights whichever local receives less service will operate as a shuttle between Main St-Flushing and either Union Turnpike or Clintonville.

This service change benefits Queens riders who want to get in and out of Manhattan more quickly, northeastern Queens customers who now get one-seat access to Manhattan without having to take a bus, New Jersey commuters who need to get into New York but work on the East Side (no paying double for PATH and then subway or bus), New Yorkers who work at the airport (again no double paying for PATH and then bus or rail), and Jersey City/Bayonne dockworkers who work at Port Newark (direct service to/from the port via Garfield Av/Grand St/Jersey Av). Feedback would be appreciated!

Send the NYCT to New Jersey? As much as I'd like to see that, that's not going to happen in the near future becuase, as I've already said, the MTA has NO MONEY for this. Not to mention that they'll have to secure funds from New Jersey to do this as well.

Hoboken PATH Terminal

Jersey Av

Newark Av(on Jersey Av)

Garfield Av(on Grand St)

This is ONE HELL of a line.

This plan will cost a lot and you're crossing onto NJT territory. And I'm sure NJT doesn't want the NYCT to compete in New Jersey.

While it is beneficial, this plan can run into legal issues, especially from NJT.

If I want to extend the 7, I would send it downtown. This will benefit the Far West Side. Plus, an important document regarding the development of Lower Manhattan has suggested extending the 7 or have some line run along the West Side Highway to Downtown.

Hoboken PATH Terminal

Jersey Av

Newark Av(on Jersey Av)

Garfield Av(on Grand St)

Not a bad idea......just a train ride from citi field...............now I came up with a cost for this........I'm saying about...10 billion

Not a bad idea......just a train ride from citi field...............now I came up with a cost for this........I'm saying about...10 billion

By the time the MTA looks at this and decides to go with it, the price tag is $787 billion. Like as if we so need another stimulus package just to extend one subway line.

Renaming the <7> to (11) would be silly and pointless.

It is. It is basically the same line from terminal to terminal. If say, the Flushing line is extended to both College Point and Bayside and requires two branches, then it is appropriate to name one branch something and the other branch another. However, this is not the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoboken PATH Terminal

Jersey Av

Newark Av(on Jersey Av)

Garfield Av(on Grand St)

Since this is all fantasy and will never happen anyway, my thoughts will reflect that (no $$ or NIMBY excuses):

1) Agree

2) I think the station is better left staying local. This way the crowd is distributed. If you're going eastbound, the passengers who want 74 take the local whereas the passengers who want Main St. take the express. If 74th St. was an express stop the locals would be almost empty and the expresses overcrowded (moreso than they arleady are). Even if this wasn't the case (say, if the (7) was a B Division line and had higher capacity), you'd probably want to make Junction Blvd. a local stop to decrease travel time and redundancy of express stops.

3) This will only work if you make Queensboro Plaza-10th Ave. - 41st St. three-tracked. Otherwise, the express service wouldn't save any time because it would be stuck behind a local the entire time until Times Sq., and would then finally catch up at 14th St. This already happens with the (7) at Times Sq. If a local leaves and an express leaves right behind it, the express doesn't pass the local until 46th St. (and this is if it's rush hour and they are right behind each other on 42nd St.). So basically, I agree if this stretch is all local or if the entire Flushing line in Manhattan and LI City is three-tracked.

4) If you're going to terminate trains here then one track isn't enough. Make it two-tracks for a total of 6 tracks (man, thank god you're not being serious :eek:)

5) Agree

6) Fine with me

7) Agree

8) This only needs to be a 4-track station. The locals only need two tracks to terminate. A two-track terminal in some ways works better than a three-track terminal, because you can relay trains faster overall. Otherwise, fine with me

9) I don't know much about New Jersey (and why should I? :() but you'd be making the (7) awfully long by extending them all the way to NJ.

Now I'd say, the (7) is good by itself, since one line is better than two.

Lines that tend not to interline with other lines tend to perform better than lines that do interline a lot.

9) I don't know much about New Jersey (and why should I? :() but you'd be making the (7) awfully long by extending them all the way to NJ.

Heh, that's a bit too far for fantasy, eh?

Since this is all fantasy:

-I'd have the 7 line turned into a B division line from Flushing to QBP and connected to the Broadway line. So that the Astoria line would run down towards 42nd st.

-Reconstruct QBP [basically each line would be on their own platforms {Astoria line on top, Flushing on the bottom} than meeting side by side] There would be a set of tracks from the upper level on the east side of the station connecting to the Flushing bound tracks. On the western side, there would be a set of tracks from the lower level to connect to the 42nd St bound tracks.

-Build a new set of river tunnels that can fit a B division width and length train.

-5th Av station would be closed as the new line would stay on 42nd and a 6th Av station would be built at 42nd St as well.

-The next stop would be 8th Av also on 42nd St. Then when they build the extension 10th Av would be the next stop.

-Finally the train will turn at 12th Av and eventually stop at the Javits center.

I think I might need a map to show this more clearly.

Yup, that is what he said, :P!

UpDate: Here is some insane map I found that quiet matches what engineerboy planned on the (7) but mind the extra (8) service:

http://www.draveed.com/ref/subway/map.jpg

That's a neat map, main problem is who does one run both the 2 and T trains on that line? It would be just easier to make it just the T only imo.

Yup, that is what he said, :)!

UpDate: Here is some insane map I found that quiet matches what engineerboy planned on the (7) but mind the extra (8) service:

http://www.draveed.com/ref/subway/map.jpg

Like the map, problems are:

-Again Div B cannot run on Div A trackage simultaneously with Div A equipment. This applies to the WPR section north of East 180.

-Div B trains will not be able to fit on Div A trackage, WPR south of 180. The trackage was built to pre-Dual Contracts specs.

-The map should address areas that need subway service, such as Eastern Queens, Southeast Brooklyn, Central Queens, Staten Island, etc...

-A 34th Street crosstown is nice, but will be engineeringly challenging as you would have to negotiate the Penn tracks

-The 7/8 should follow the WSH to Lower Manhattan. That will it would serve the Far West Side of Manhattan, certain areas along that corridor need subway service.

Archived