Would it be weird to have a #(8) or a #(11) line added to the system?

LandoftheLost

1.&2.: Yeah, as said.

3.: Yes, it should have routes that serves neighbors that is underserved and need more trainsportation service.

4.&5.: Yes, even though 34th Street seem to be an easy engineering area, when it goes to Penn Station area it is getting very tough. (7) and (8) also should get a transfer to (L) line down at 14th Street.

It's going to be difficult, too much existing infrastructure, such as Penn Station. PS covers a vast area, plus you have Pennsy tracks. Not only that, you have existing subways too.

Agreed, 34th would probably be out of the question, but 23rd would probably be a better alternative and could help out the L.

And speaking of the L, I think it should run to the Javits Center, probably via 12th Av. The L and the 7 would be either on separate levels or connected on the same level. Something similar to the Stillwell station setup, only for non revenue moves [unless the 7 was converted into a true B division line in width and length].

That's a neat map, main problem is who does one run both the 2 and T trains on that line? It would be just easier to make it just the T only imo.

Plus, you can't run A Div and B Div on the same tracks.

Actually, it may be possible if you use a gauntlet track. IRT trains are on the set of tracks closer to the platform while the BMT tracks are on the set farther away.

BTW, I don't think that map was planned systemwise. I think the creator of the map only implemented his SAS changes, and left it at that.

Those are more of the mnay reasons, also there is another contruction there, the ARC 'Trans-Hudson' Tunnel project.

That too, plus that will make half the 34th Street line redundant. The underground concourse stretches from 8th Ave to Herald Square

Actually, it may be possible if you use a gauntlet track. IRT trains are on the set of tracks closer to the platform while the BMT tracks are on the set farther away.

BTW, I don't think that map was planned systemwise. I think the creator of the map only implemented his SAS changes, and left it at that.

Too costly to implement, plus we're talking about the MTA

I don't see how it would be too costly, considering it's basically just adding new track and could be installed the same way new track is currently installed during weekend G.O.s. Obviously the MTA wouldn't implement this though, but this is a fantasy forum for a reason lol

I don't see how it would be too costly, considering it's basically just adding new track and could be installed the same way new track is currently installed during weekend G.O.s. Obviously the MTA wouldn't implement this though, but this is a fantasy forum for a reason lol

This could not be done south of 180th

Huh? Why not?

El trackage between Jackson and before 180 are built to pre-Dual Contracts conditions. Platforms could only accommodate IRT tracks. If gauntlet tracks are to be used, the platforms have to be shaved off, and all the local tracks have to be torn up. Major structural work has to be done for this. And plus, you got the curves too.

Also, the (7) is already going there, so there is no reason to build a redundant (8), get some excercise shall we!

Well, the 7 will still be a 42nd Street Crosstown after the extension, this person was trying to offer a 34th Street Crosstown line. It can't be done though.

Huh? Why not?

Because South of E 180th. is was built for Contract I. All Contract I and Contract II lines have tighter curves and narrower clearances Dual Contract IRT areas. Dual Contract IRT have the same dimensions as BMT lines, only the platforms extend out a little further. That means if the platforms were shaved back on these lines, BMT/IND trains could run there. but with Contract I and II, even if you shave back the platforms, BMT/IND trains could not fit.

Contract I: 1904

Brooklyn Bridge to 33rd street on the East side, turns along 42nd street then turns again up Broadway until 242nd street. The Lenox Branch is Also Contract I, as well as the White Plains Road line until the stop before 180th.

Contract II: 1905-1908

The East Side line below Brooklyn Bridge and into Brooklyn until Atlantic Avenue.

Dual Contracts: 1917-1920

The Jerome, Pelham, Livonia, WPR above E. 180th, Eastern Parkway line after Atlantic, the 7th Avenue line from 42nd street to Hoyt Street (Brooklyn), the Flatbush Avenue line, and the Lex line from Grand Central to 125th.

Hope that helps.

You know what I think would be helpful? Completing the 59th street line. Well, not really complete because it was never planned. But extend the line from 5/59th to 11th Avenue and 59th street. Maybe have a stop at Columbus Circle and 11th Avenue. Have a shuttle run between 5th Avenue 59th street and 11th Avenue 59th street. 5/59 can't be a terminal so maybe build a lower level. That's not happening anyway.

I'd rather build a 57th Street Shuttle, since construction would be easier, and nothing could affect the Apple Store as well as the Columbus Circle - Whole Foods Level. Also, many connections to nearby subways is available, as well as the oppurtunity to build run-on tracks if there is plans of future extensions.

Many major north-south lines have stops at/or adjacent to 57th Street. 57th Street is also a major crosstown, but I am not sure if it needs that much attention being that there are already the 53rd and 60th Street Subways. There is no incentive unless you are sending the 7 down that line. And where will it terminate?

I believe that the 7 should be extended into Lower Manhattan in the least, with a possible extension to Red Hook. It will travel along the West Side Highway, sinking into a tunnel around Liberty. The tunnel must be lower than the Battery Park Underpass and should bend towards South Ferry. It will stop at South Ferry at a lower level, with provision for extension. Hey it's fantasy right?

Many major north-south lines have stops at/or adjacent to 57th Street. 57th Street is also a major crosstown, but I am not sure if it needs that much attention being that there are already the 53rd and 60th Street Subways. There is no incentive unless you are sending the 7 down that line. And where will it terminate?

I believe that the 7 should be extended into Lower Manhattan in the least, with a possible extension to Red Hook. It will travel along the West Side Highway, sinking into a tunnel around Liberty. The tunnel must be lower than the Battery Park Underpass and should bend towards South Ferry. It will stop at South Ferry at a lower level, with provision for extension. Hey it's fantasy right?

The problem with the 53rd and 59/60th Street crosstowns is that the farthest they go is to 7th Avenue. In the upper 50's/lower 60's, Manhattan goes up to 12th Avenue. People who are far out West have a long walk to any crosstown subway. That's why I think they should extend the 59th street line to 11th Avenue. It's not happening anyway so it doesn't matter.

The problem with the 53rd and 59/60th Street crosstowns is that the farthest they go is to 7th Avenue. In the upper 50's/lower 60's, Manhattan goes up to 12th Avenue. People who are far out West have a long walk to any crosstown subway. That's why I think they should extend the 59th street line to 11th Avenue. It's not happening anyway so it doesn't matter.

True the Clinton community has very poor access to the subway, sometimes the residents have to walk about 20 minutes to the closest train station. What I suggest though is this: operate MTA community shuttles to the nearest train stations. The crosstown buses won't do much since they travel down the entire street often choked with traffic. These community shuttle buses could easily manoeuvre around side streets stopping at important locations like Fordham and Roosevelt Hospital. Hong Kong (in the form of feeder buses and minibuses) and Vancouver have excercised this well. Think of something like the Downtown Connection.

Well, the 59th Street Subway Line? But, I don't see it being a reliable constuction due to the fact that 59th Street runs right past the Apple Store and Whole Foods and I would never want any rumblings from trains every few minutes.

The only thing I can say is, that's not an adequate reason. Other people deal with it.

El trackage between Jackson and before 180 are built to pre-Dual Contracts conditions. Platforms could only accommodate IRT tracks. If gauntlet tracks are to be used, the platforms have to be shaved off, and all the local tracks have to be torn up. Major structural work has to be done for this. And plus, you got the curves too.

Well, the 7 will still be a 42nd Street Crosstown after the extension, this person was trying to offer a 34th Street Crosstown line. It can't be done though.

The whole point of the gauntlet track is so the platforms don't have to be worked on for both trains to serve the line. But I get why it can't be done after seeing Maserati's post. It would have been possible if WPR was a Dual contracts line.

Does it apply to 59th Street too?

And the (7) extension to Lower Manhattan would benefit a lot, but I would want to see a connection to the (L) Line at 14th Street, not only would the (7) extension work better, the (L) could also carry people to the West Side.

Well, the 59th Street Subway Line? But, I don't see it being a reliable constuction due to the fact that 59th Street runs right past the Apple Store and Whole Foods and I would never want any rumblings from trains every few minutes.

I could recommend a better alternative by creating an Amsterdam-10th Ave. Shuttle. Running from 72nd St. to 42nd St.

Lets say it connects to the (7) and call it (11).

Northern Destination - 72nd St. (Transfers to (1)(2)(3))

First Stop - 66th St.

Second Stop - 59th St.

Third Stop - 50th St.

Last Stop before joining with (7) - 42nd St. (Transfers to the (1)(2)(3)(7)(S)(A)(C)(E)(N)(R)(Q)(W)).

Presumably, the 7 will continue south according to my plan, emerging as an el around 18th Street. The L will be underground as it could head to Chelsea Piers.

I think the community will be better of with a community bus system, that way the riders would have more options.

The whole point of the gauntlet track is so the platforms don't have to be worked on for both trains to serve the line. But I get why it can't be done after seeing Maserati's post. It would have been possible if WPR was a Dual contracts line.

Well since it's fantasy, I guess we could do the "Philly treatment". That is, rebuild the entire el. With that done, the structure won't be as noisy and plus the spaces between the tracks would be wide enough to accommodate gauntlet tracking.

Archived