Morrison Knudsen change its name.

LandoftheLost

Since the subway isn't as bad condition as it was back in to 80's GOH is a far too dramatic system for trains. The R62A will eventually get a SMS by the time the R188s comes and boot the R62As back to mainline service. The only thing that will happen to both R62 - R62A is that they will get repainted, floors replaced and defected seat replaced. Some flushing train might get the LED signs yanked off.

Not saying this is gonna happen so do think of it that way, but why doesn't the MTA install strip maps on them like the R142s? Plz no flame over my idea.

Cars are not going to be overhauled anymore. That only lasted in the late 1980s to bring back life into the old cars and so they can be used longer, but the existing fleet is undergoing SMS. I think R44s and R46s have received or are in the process of undergoing this process. R62s and R68s are next, but not right now.

Cars are not going to be overhauled anymore. That only lasted in the late 1980s to bring back life into the old cars and so they can be used longer, but the existing fleet is undergoing SMS. I think R44s and R46s have received or are in the process of undergoing this process. R62s and R68s are next, but not right now.

i agree,the age of overhauling subway cars is not happening anymore and the MTA has SMS in place.overhauling is very costly and very time consuming for the agency.if NYC Transit keeps up with good practice and philosophy of taking care of their system,we would never go back to the crumbling atmosphere of the late 70's and 80's.

SMS is constantly occurring process. It replaced GOH in that the idea of SMS is the trains never get in the condition they were in when GOH was necessary. A train receives an SMS inspection every 2 months or once it has traveled a set distance (don't remember the exact number.) If any problems are discovered, they are fixed ASAP.

I may have the number sitting around at home. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you. But for most lines it works to about once every 2 months, obviously longer lines like the (A) it's more frequent than that.

I may have the number sitting around at home. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you. But for most lines it works to about once every 2 months, obviously longer lines like the (A) it's more frequent than that.

Hmm...Couldn't find it. Must have misplaced that info. For the East 180th St (5) line cars it's once every 66 days. 33 trains are needed daily out of a fleet of 385 for 297 daily runs, which generally run between 18 and 25 miles depending on which terminals the particular run uses (since the 5 uses 7 different terminals during the day - 238, Dyre, E 180, Bowling Green, Flatbush, Utica, and one to New Lots). If someone a lot more patient than me at math wants to try and figure out the mileage using that info, be my guest.

That's not how it works, like I said, SMS is a general car care program. All cars get thier SMS inspections every so often. SMS is not a midlife rebuild.

I know what SMS is and I know it is not a GOH. When I said "like any other car", I mean any car. "That will age" does not specify their age currently, offering the possibility they can receive SMS anytime. And of course, if a car ages, at any point and it requires maintenance, it will receive SMS.

Now, to an earlier post from Nick about installing strip maps, it could be beneficial to the riders, but it is not necessary. It can be costly too. Yes, sometimes people have a hard time hearing the announcements, but the R62s have been around for 20 years. And in those 20 years, they never had such technological features and they're fine without them.

morrison-knudsen is the reason teh 60 footers lasted this long is right and i think they did a better job overhauling the 46s than pullman standard did building them before morrison-knudsen overhauled the 46s in 90-91 the lights were not working in the cars the air conditioning wasnt wiorking and the 46s were in bad shape coinincidently does anyone know the 1st line to run the overhauled 46s

and morrison-knudsen put the led signs on the 46s and took off that blue strip i doubt the 46s would be able to last another 20yrs if it wasnt for the car overhaul

Archived