River Line Shots

Ken S.

Related question maybe someone like Ken or Metsfan might know. Why is portions of the River line(ie mainly between Burlington and Bordertown stations)still only '1' track?

It is an active freight line after 10 pm. The line is the way it is because (NJT) didn't want to spend more than needed to have the service. There are other issues such as the width of the Way in certain places through residential areas making 2 track operation legally tricky as any activity on either side could be seen in a negative light. There are also environmental concerns, as the name implies it is near the river and several wetlands, and expanded operations would put increased pressure on the all ready at risk habitats there. Most freight & former freight lines are 1 track, there are exceptions of course, but a siding is more than adequate for RiverLINE and the freight service using the line. Any future expansion would likely only take shape at either end of the current line vs new tracks on the current ROW.

- A

Nice shots (K)!

I've been wanting to ride the LINE for a while, but i never have time. It looks like the diesel engine & electrical equipment take up where there are seats & windows on the HBLR LRV's.

- A

The rumor from the 1800's is Burlington did not want the Pennsy(Camden and Amboy) double tracking through town, the Pennsy did have plans for double track, however to this day its never happened nor do I ever see it happening things seem to work just fine.

Nice shots Ken! :tup:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived