Coming around to support an MTA takeover of Suffolk Transit

JohnQPine

At first I was shocked at the idea. But I'm getting tired of Suffolk Transit's mediocre service. Esp with all the service improvements at LI Bus. Since LIB got the new Orion 7 buses service has improved alot. Breakdowns are getting very rare. The a/c works well. The OTP has improved as well.

OTOH, Suffolk Transit has gotten worse. Everytime I'm out there I see buses with no a/c. Its the middle of summer and they dont have a/c? Even CBS Lines is slipping. I think its time for the (MTA) to takeover Suffolk Transit.

The worst thing about ST is NO SUNDAY SERVICE. What planet does Suffolk live on? Even Rockland, a more sparsely populated area than Suffolk, has Sunday service!

I was also thinking on how stupid some of Suffolk Transit's routes are. For example why do none of the buses go further south than Mechanicsville Rd in Bay Shore? Why not have summer service to the ferry dock on Maple Ave? I wonder how much the taxi companies that charge $5 a pop are paying off Suffolk to keep the buses away?

Bus service between the LIRR and the ferries in Bay Shore and Sayville could be a real cash cow for ST. But they dont do it.

I have heard from a driver at ST that the (MTA) is indeed looking at the buses there.

Now its just a matter of getting Albany to give Suffolk its fair share. I'm getting tired of no Sunday service, no a/c, and rather low standards at ST, and I dont even live out there!

Its time for an (MTA) takeover.

Since the (MTA) took over things in Nassau things have improved so much. Now its time to do the same in Suffolk.

The (MTA) should take over ST. Maybe they will use some NGs from the NYC Bus/MTA Bus order or some O5s and RTSs to expand service in Suffolk County.

I don't know st bus fleet can someone tell me thanks.....ok....here is how I would plan there new (MTA) FLEET

GIVE THEM 50 TO 60 NG CNG...

GIVE THEM 30 TO 45 USED CNG FROM (MTA) bus collagepiont depot ......that way it make room for cp depot to get ng cng.....

They (well I'm not sure if they still make them)u can give (take half of orion v hybirds cng(if that's wat its called) from good ol jackie gleason depot....that would make room jackie to get orion 7 ng cng

Them I guess u can keep 20 to 30% of there own fleet just repainted them so they can be or have (MTA) colors...so now when its done we have a new jacke gleason in longsiland

Only problem with CNG's is where do you fuel them in Suffolk?

They'd have to build new fueling stations. And the MTA doesn't want to open anymore CNG depots. Depending on when this takeover would happen, some of the Orion V and RTS from NYCT and MTA Bus that are being replaced by Orion 7NG could go to Suffolk.

But in the beginning they'd prob use the existing fleet, though (MTA) hates Gilligs.

Yea, the (MTA) did not take over LIB , the already owned them for at least 20 years now. They just gave them new buses and are repainted the current buses to the full blue stripe. If the (MTA) takes over ST , there most likely not giving them buses. ST is not heavily used all the time. Just different fareboxes would be installed.

I cannot support a takeover of Suffolk Transit for two reasons:

1. The MTA is in no position to acquire two or three lots of its own for storing the 220 or so transit and paratransit buses (one around Deer Park, one near Yaphank, and a possible third one).

2. Better service would be expected, such as Sunday service.

I support an MTA takeover of SCT. It'll provide better service, connections, convenience, and maybe an OTP increase.

Disadvantages:

-A fare hike to the current MTA rate

-Potential service cuts on low-ridership routes

-Could be used as an excuse for any LIRR cuts that take place.

As for Sunday service, some routes really need it (S92, S94, etc.), but others could work being M-F routes.

I support an MTA takeover of SCT. It'll provide better service, connections, convenience, and maybe an OTP increase.

Disadvantages:

-A fare hike to the current MTA rate

-Potential service cuts on low-ridership routes

-Could be used as an excuse for any LIRR cuts that take place.

As for Sunday service, some routes really need it (S92, S94, etc.), but others could work being M-F routes.

However...before a takeover can happen, the MTA needs to have new garages ready to go; every Suffolk Transit operator has that as a secondary operation, with either line runs or school bus operations first.

Logistics is why I would hold off for now.

MTA takeover of ST is not a question of if,but a question of when. There was talk of the Private lines takeover for many years and it happened. The first sign is Metrocard,which Bee Line has. Besides look at the plates on ST buses,Official. And now they are getting some full size hybrids so takeover is definitely on the horizon. Keep your eyes open,MTA has a little blue pill they want to offer you. I hear it's delicious.(MTA)

I support an MTA takeover of Suffolk Transit. I think it would benefit straphangers and business owners that have buses on "Main Sts" in each village with increased service. Sunday service is a MUST out this way as Riverhead looks to be suffering. I see people literally walking to Tanger Mall...not good because it's a walk. TRUST ME! The ONLY backdrop I have with the "possible" takeover is that "aemoreira81" is right, they need to have depots and I do not see the MTA renting space at Hampton Jitney or Sunrise Coaches or the other current locations.

As far as the fleet, Suffolk Transit has an order of 83 Orion 07.501 "New Generation" Low Floor Hybrids (55 on order and 28 for an option order). These buses I'm told are various sizes (35 Ft and 40 Ft) and they will most likely be replacing the 1996 Gilligs and 1997 (30Ft) Gilligs. No CNGs in this order as Suffolk County (especially Eastern Suffolk from what I was told out here) does not want NO CNG buses running out here. Yeah, I guess it's ok for MTA Long Island Bus to go to Montauk for shuttle service, right? LOL!

This ought to be VERY interesting as I was told by a couple of Hampton Jitney drivers that they don't want Orions (which is why I see Gilligs every F%^&** day). That decision was made when the 1999 Orion 05.503s (#9900s) were delivered. So therefore, I'll get a Gillig #5000s on my 10A unless if HJ says, "Ok, I'll take them." Then it's NGs!

Don't worry, I'll keep your guys posted out this way as to what I see.

The thing about operators refusing to drive certain kinds of buses is the fact that the MTA is very into disipline. Delay of service and insubordination are violations and disipline is cumlative. Some guys will be in for a surprise when the Big Blue meatball rolls into town. (MTA)

Yea, the (MTA) did not take over LIB , the already owned them for at least 20 years now. They just gave them new buses and are repainted the current buses to the full blue stripe. If the (MTA) takes over ST , there most likely not giving them buses. ST is not heavily used all the time. Just different fareboxes would be installed.

Actually the MTA only operated LIB,Nassau County owned them.

Well, a walk to Tanger is really nice since people gat get excersise, B)! And a (MTA) takeover means price knockup and service cuts and service additions, :(.

More like Re-routing of buses since the MTA will NOT approve of many of these feeder routes...especially out by me. Some of these streets are too narrow and the MTA will freak the hell out.

Archived