Coming around to support an MTA takeover of Suffolk Transit

JohnQPine

At first I was shocked at the idea. But I'm getting tired of Suffolk Transit's mediocre service. Esp with all the service improvements at LI Bus. Since LIB got the new Orion 7 buses service has improved alot. Breakdowns are getting very rare. The a/c works well. The OTP has improved as well.

OTOH, Suffolk Transit has gotten worse. Everytime I'm out there I see buses with no a/c. Its the middle of summer and they dont have a/c? Even CBS Lines is slipping. I think its time for the (MTA) to takeover Suffolk Transit.

The worst thing about ST is NO SUNDAY SERVICE. What planet does Suffolk live on? Even Rockland, a more sparsely populated area than Suffolk, has Sunday service!

I was also thinking on how stupid some of Suffolk Transit's routes are. For example why do none of the buses go further south than Mechanicsville Rd in Bay Shore? Why not have summer service to the ferry dock on Maple Ave? I wonder how much the taxi companies that charge $5 a pop are paying off Suffolk to keep the buses away?

Bus service between the LIRR and the ferries in Bay Shore and Sayville could be a real cash cow for ST. But they dont do it.

I have heard from a driver at ST that the (MTA) is indeed looking at the buses there.

Now its just a matter of getting Albany to give Suffolk its fair share. I'm getting tired of no Sunday service, no a/c, and rather low standards at ST, and I dont even live out there!

Its time for an (MTA) takeover.

Since the (MTA) took over things in Nassau things have improved so much. Now its time to do the same in Suffolk.

Hi John-most people dont know the thermostat for AC control is located in the rear engine compartment and not controlled by the driver. Assinine set up because the AC should be adjusted relative to the outside temp. or it will be too cold. In fact that is usually the complaint from seniors or mothers with babies. The AC could be turned off easily but can only be turned on if the bus is in neutral. So its difficult to regulate the temp that way. Point is that most drivers leave the AC off until it gets HOT enough so there are no complaints/arguments etc . And passengers just open the windows if its too cold and burn out the compressor.

As for overall service? Keep in mind Suffolk is almost 3x the size of Nassau but we get about 1/3 the funding. Does that make any sense?

Hi John-most people dont know the thermostat for AC control is located in the rear engine compartment and not controlled by the driver. Assinine set up because the AC should be adjusted relative to the outside temp. or it will be too cold. In fact that is usually the complaint from seniors or mothers with babies. The AC could be turned off easily but can only be turned on if the bus is in neutral. So its difficult to regulate the temp that way. Point is that most drivers leave the AC off until it gets HOT enough so there are no complaints/arguments etc . And passengers just open the windows if its too cold and burn out the compressor.

As for overall service? Keep in mind Suffolk is almost 3x the size of Nassau but we get about 1/3 the funding. Does that make any sense?

I think NJT has manual control of AC by the driver. Best thing to do is just ignore ppl who complain its too cold. Even at LIB some driver shut off the a/c, in fact I had one last night that turned it off on a packed N22, and I was sweating buckets by the time I got off. Its not healthy not to have ventilation, if the a/c is off then the windows should be opened.

Because its not healthy on a crowded bus, esp with the Swine Flu epidemic.

TA and NJT buses always have HVAC on no matter what, I dunno why MTA Bus, LI Bus, and Suffolk Transit allow it to be shut off. If it was up to me the ventilation system will go on and when the bus goes on but the driver should be able to adjust the temperature. But if drivers need to shut off a/c it should only be done on a cooler day and the windows should be opened.

Yes I know Suffolk gets shortchanged with funding, that's why ppl in Suffolk need to keep the heat on Albany.

• 1 month later...

Archived