Bergen Street station F,G

anybody have pics of Bergen Street station (F,G) before being overhauled?

i do remember the staircases with the gates going downstairs and also remember some F trains running down there when i was like about 7 years old.

You can look the pictures up at nycsubway.org, and just look them up under the IND Crosstown Line page, even though the station is really a part of the Culver Line. You can see pics of the upper level pre- and post-renovation, and the lover level while it was still used until the present when it fell into disrepair.

The 1990 movie Jacob's Ladder with Tim Robbins has an extensive scene filmed on the lower level at Bergen Street and uses R10 cars running on the C line. The movie was supposed to have taken place in 1975, and the scene is close to the beginning and very, very eerie. Anyone here who has seen the movie knows exactly what I am referring to.

P.S. I highly recommend the flick aside from that. :tup::tup:

Excellent movie,nowadays movies like Jacobs Ladder are rare indeed.

Speaking of that movie, do you think it's ever happened that a train let off some passengers at a station that was gated shut like that? That scene is nuts, and I love the R10s.

• 3 weeks later...

From 1968 to 1976, Bergen Street Lower Level was used by an (F) Express during rush hours and the (F) Express also used the tunnel that triangulates from Seventh Avenue and Church Avenue.

At these times, the (GG) would make the local stops between Church and Seventh Avenues and at Fourth Avenue.

Riders complained about having to transfer at Bergen Street. This was fun if you had taken an (RR) to Ninth Street, got upstairs to a (GG) then at Bergen Street had to go downstairs for an (F) to Sixth Avenue. This was also fun if you got upstairs at Fourth Avenue or Smith-Ninth Streets to a (GG) then at Bergen Street had to go downstairs for an (F) to Sixth Avenue.

Since mid 1976, the (F) has run local in Brooklyn.(F)

Speaking of that movie, do you think it's ever happened that a train let off some passengers at a station that was gated shut like that? That scene is nuts, and I love the R10s.

My mom and my aunt got stuck one time in Lower Bergen cuz the (F) was late and they made it to Lower Bergen when they shut it down after rush hour. They were stuck there till Evening rush hour.

also remember some F trains running down there when i was like about 7 years old.

From July 1968 to August of 1976, rush hour 70(F) express service stopped at the lower level of Bergen Street, while the 70(GG) stopped at the upper level.

The rush hour 70(GG) service ran to Church Avenue during those years. The rush hour 70(GG) service ran 8 cars of the 60 footers, of whatever trains it used those times, such as the R16's, R38's, R40M's, and the R42's.

Archived