Culver Viaduct rehab

LRG

Also, from Carroll Street to Church Ave, the express tracks are out of service. Last time I was in the area, maybe a week ago. the express tracks at 4th Ave all had boom boxes hooked up to them and the middle track that sinks down is all gone. The also have the safety gates put up from one portol to the other. Right now, the service is not too interesting, but in a year or so, it will be alot of fun by me.

This fourm is getting me sleepy with the abundance of oft repeated topics. At this rate, this place is going to end up like Rider Diaries.

Exactly, we're supposed to be discussing Culver work. But it has something to do with express service because the tracks are being ripped out as well as the ties. It's okay if the thread drifts off a little bit because what's being discussed has more to do with than just construction. But we have to be careful how far we go with these discussions to prevent flame wars.

This fourm is getting me sleepy with the abundance of oft repeated topics. At this rate, this place is going to end up like Rider Diaries.

I would certainly hope not. That place SUCKS and is full of idiot illiterate foamers who know nothing about trains or the system except what they "like"

There are plenty of interesting things happening in the system every day. Every day there is an entertaining story that happens, and there are plenty of things that haven't been posted here before; historical and technical alike. People's jobs as posters here is to find and discuss those things instead of doing the same old fantasy map/proposed service/i like/i hate crap because that's (F)(MTA)(A)(M)

I have no problem with this thread staying open. If anyone is down visiting the area and question, this would be a good place for updates to the work being performed as well as pictures of the crews at work should anyone get any.

Off topic for a bit,you really can't compare Bergen Street-lower level platforms as to 9th Avenue-lower level,City Hall-BMT-lower level or 42 Street-Port Authority lower level platforms,those platforms are useless and do not need to be repaired or opened.Bergen Street lower level has potential and should be needed for riders advocating express service on that segment.ofcourse if the MTA didn't want to spend extra cash to fix up the lower level,the possible express station would be from Jay Street Station.

yea they should re-open it

yea they should re-open it

The only instance they will use it is if they have the "F express", unfortunately, work is still underway on the first few phases of the project and the "F express" is still indefinite. However, if the number of advocates from the last 2 years cry out again in full force just like they did 2 years ago, there could be an "F express".

The odds of (F) Express service in Brooklyn is ZERO. Besides, we already established that.

How can you be so sure? We don't even know if the (V) will serve Brooklyn or not. Either way, I don't care, because as long as the train I get on takes me to where I need to go, I'm happy. 33rd Street, as much as I respect your thoughts and opinions on the subway since we all have them, please avoid flaming as I had to request a mod to lock the R160 thread.

Besides, how will the (V) to Brooklyn affect YOU? Just think. Will it take you where you need to go, for instance, if you were to visit a friend in Park Slope? Would the (V) to Brooklyn be that harmful to you? Think about what the passengers would want, and avoid the bias, please.

Cut the (V) into Brooklyn/(F) Express in Brooklyn talks. The point of this topic is the Culver Viaduct rehabilitation.

Of course the rehabilitation of the Culver Viaduct does tie in with restoration of express service. But I'm afraid of flaming which would result with this thread being closed.

Of course the rehabilitation of the Culver Viaduct does tie in with restoration of express service...

Until it actually starts happening, it does not. Lets deal in actual events and actual goings on rather than future plans no matter how concrete they may appear at present. Talk about the construction NOW not "future" service patterns, you see the difference?

Until it actually starts happening, it does not. Lets deal in actual events and actual goings on rather than future plans no matter how concrete they may appear at present. Talk about the construction NOW not "future" service patterns, you see the difference?

I'll try to move this back to normal....

so.... I was at 4th Ave and I saw: no 3rd rail on the express tracks, and by Smith & 9th, the ties are gone. What it looks like they are doing is taking the concrete off the steel structure and re applying the concrete?

I'll try to move this back to normal....

so.... I was at 4th Ave and I saw: no 3rd rail on the express tracks, and by Smith & 9th, the ties are gone. What it looks like they are doing is taking the concrete off the steel structure and re applying the concrete?

Wouldn't they have to get the ballast out first?

Wouldn't they have to get the ballast out first?

Thats what they are doing. It also looks like there will be work north and south of 7th ave on the express tracks since they are now out of service. Other then the already implimented extension of the (G), the project will not have a real impact on service for another year or so. Once that happenes, look out for shuttles and temp. platforms. I can't wait for this.

Thats what they are doing. It also looks like there will be work north and south of 7th ave on the express tracks since they are now out of service. Other then the already implimented extension of the (G), the project will not have a real impact on service for another year or so. Once that happenes, look out for shuttles and temp. platforms. I can't wait for this.

Heh...can't wait to see how you get to Branford then. Will you be taking the "© for Car train" :)

There have been blockades that have been blocking even rerouted express service from happening, i.e. if the local track is congested or blocked, (F) trains are basically screwed. Before entering Carroll Street from the north, you can see a track blockade, same as when the (F) changes tracks to head to the upper level.

There have been blockades that have been blocking even rerouted express service from happening, i.e. if the local track is congested or blocked, (F) trains are basically screwed. Before entering Carroll Street from the north, you can see a track blockade, same as when the (F) changes tracks to head to the upper level.

I've seen those, but the they are removable.

Archived