Do (N)/(W) trains switch at Ditmars Blvd?

S78 via Hylan

They switch when there's a delay on one line, and there's an available train from the other line there that's not scheduled to leave yet. (especially if you have two trains of the same line in both pockets, and the other line is supposed to leave next).

There was also an (N) in the AM scheduled to turn into a (W) upon arrival at Astoria. I'm sure they still do that.

They switch when there's a delay on one line, and there's an available train from the other line there that's not scheduled to leave yet. (especially if you have two trains of the same line in both pockets, and the other line is supposed to leave next).

There was also an (N) in the AM scheduled to turn into a (W) upon arrival at Astoria. I'm sure they still do that.

The (N) and the (W) do switch at Astoria, just like how the (2) and the (5) switch at Flatbush Avenue. This is why R160s are used on the (N) and the (W) and R142s on the (2) and the (5) so workers at the terminal won't get carpal tunnel trying to change the rollsigns with no time to spare.

Yea they swap cars over there. Similar to the (2)(5) at Flatbush and (R)(V) at Jamaica.

I wonder if the (N)(Q) can swap at CI?

They could but they use different tracks. I don't see why not, though. I guess if a (Q) train is due out in a minute but an (N) train comes in the station and it's not due to leave for like another five minutes, it can use the (Q) track and that (N) would become a (Q).

They could but they use different tracks. I don't see why not, though. I guess if a (Q) train is due out in a minute but an (N) train comes in the station and it's not due to leave for like another five minutes, it can use the (Q) track and that (N) would become a (Q).

That's probably too much trouble. For one, they would have to know in advance in order to line one train up into the other track.

Operationally, Stillwell is four separate terminals that happen to be next to each other and use the same infrastructure. There are four separate dispatchers, and they would not want to give "their" trains to another line.

Archived