Bus stops

rockdove

This may be a dumb question, but while I am aware we have maps and MTA guides for each line, some showing the arrival/departure times for certain stops, I haven't found a proper list of all stops made on a particular bus route.

Some of the stops don't have a proper station but only a hard-to-notice sign. So it seems the only way to know the stops is by riding experience.

Also, I'm interested because I have suspicion that hopstop/MTA trip planner don't provide the full range of options when it comes to stops and transfers between other bus and subway lines - so I may want to verify by my own observation. For example, they never suggest I can take the Q66 to the Queens Plaza subway station, only to Steinway St (a station two stops further into Queens).

I know how you feel.

Hopstop I never trust too much.

For example, when I was going to 42 Brooke Club Dr, Ossining, Hopstop give me Piping Rock Drive, but my Bee-Line bus stop was next one, which was Route 9 and Old Albany Post (before the ramp).

Also, I'm interested because I have suspicion that hopstop/MTA trip planner don't provide the full range of options when it comes to stops and transfers between other bus and subway lines - so I may want to verify by my own observation. For example, they never suggest I can take the Q66 to the Queens Plaza subway station, only to Steinway St (a station two stops further into Queens).

Instead use Google Maps. They now have the option of travelling by mass transit. You could even download the application to most phones. And if you have a phone with an embedded GPS chip it makes the input of your starting point that much easier.

If you choose to use Google Maps on your computer here is the link. http://www.google.com/transit

If you want to download the application to your phone here is the link

m.google.com/maps

Oops. I completely overlooked the little bus stop icons on the Google maps! I guess that solves the issue.

I find hopstop to be a little better when it comes to out-of-system transfers than MTA trip planner. It knows about the exits in the stations. For example, it suggests I transfer between 57th St 7th Av station (N)(Q)(R)(W) to the 7th Av (B)(D)(E) station using the 55th street exit. This is a nicer transfer than walking to Columbus Circle - or going down to 34th St, as MTA Trip Planner suggests.

Hopstop seems to make a longer time estimates -- maybe it are more accurate when it comes to walking time estimate.

Archived