Question on MaBSTOAs bus Renumbering

mark1447

This is regarding MaBSTOA and route changes so please lets not change the topic, thanks!

I remember in the 90s when I had old bus maps(now i dont :P ) and saw that there were routes such as the M19(now M96) and Bx54(now Bx14)...

What was the point of MaBSTOA renumbering these routes and eliminating some roues thru the 1980s to early 1990s which gave us the current roues in the Bronx and Manhattan?

I dont see anything about this change on Wikipedia only bus routes that converted to todays numbering..

Thanks!

The TA started to renumber Bronx routes in 1984. As for Manhattan, the changes were made from the late-80's to the mid-90's.

but why did they change the routes? Is it becuz MaBSTOA was merging with the (MTA)?

Almost ever route changed in 84' but the Bx54 was originally the Bx5A it was renumbered in the 70's but the route was discontinued in 1990 and the Bx14 was rerouted from Westchester Avenue to serve Metropolitan Avenue segment and the Bx39 was rerouted from its original terminal at West Farms Square down White Plains Rd. making up for that portion of the Bx54 and further serving Clasons Point.

This is regarding MaBSTOA and route changes so please lets not change the topic, thanks!

I remember in the 90s when I had old bus maps(now i dont :P ) and saw that there were routes such as the M19(now M96) and Bx54(now Bx14)...

What was the point of MaBSTOA renumbering these routes and eliminating some roues thru the 1980s to early 1990s which gave us the current roues in the Bronx and Manhattan?

I dont see anything about this change on Wikipedia only bus routes that converted to todays numbering..

Thanks!

IIRC the M19 was both the M96 and 106, they shared a designation. I know there was a sign @ 103 St on the (6) that said you could still get the M19.

When I checked about month ago it had the bronx changes up there

IIRC the M19 was both the M96 and 106, they shared a designation. I know there was a sign @ 103 St on the (6) that said you could still get the M19.

When I checked about month ago it had the bronx changes up there

Yeah they removed the M19 in 2007 when I use to aleays head there.

The only one i spot is the Bx54 when getting off on a NB Pelham (6) and walking to the last exit in the back.

So im guessing the reason for renumbering is just for line removal as werll as not getting passangers confused?

I've always wondered why the routes were changed so drastically and their really was no rhyme or reason to a lot of the changes in 1984 in the Bronx just route numbers being switched around. But some changes seemed to be beneficial and eliminated redundancies... for example the Bx37 and 49 combined to become the present Bx13 or the Bx30 and 31 combined to become the the present Bx19.

But concerning the M19 it was changed to the M96 and M106 to reflect the street the route ran on. Most of the crosstown buses made similar changes. The M86 -86th Street crosstown used to be the M18.

Well i found a few old bus maps for MaBSTOA /NYCT:

http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/busmaps.html

I see the M19 was splited into 2 which is odd tho.. (1976)

M20 was created because the M10 used to run from Harlem all the way down to Battery Park. It was too long and they decided to split it. The southern half, from Midtown to Battery Park would be the M20. The M10 would take over the northern half, from Penn Station onwards.

M20 was created because the M10 used to run from Harlem all the way down to Battery Park. It was too long and they decided to split it. The southern half, from Midtown to Battery Park would be the M20. The M10 would take over the northern half, from Penn Station onwards.

Im not talking about the M20 of today im talking about the 1976 M20 which was the 116th Street Crosstown bus, which became the M116 during the 80s/90s..

I also edited my post cuz i got the point hwile reading the map...

• 3 weeks later...

In Manhattan, crosstown buses were renumbered to give them a number that matched their street number. When the M18 became the M86, that freed that number which was assigned to the former M3 Convent Avenue variant.

In a way, it makes it easier to remember in Manhattan south of 125th Street:

Eighth Street - M8

14th Street - M14

23d Street - M23

34th Street - M34

42d Street - M42

49/50th Streets - M50

57th Street - M57

66th/67th Streets - M66

72d Street - M72

79th Street - M79

86th Street - M86

96th Street - M96

106th Street - M106

116th Street - M116

Some of the old numbers such as the M16 and M27 are still with us.

Archived