R62A 2230

PATCOman

Today at 137 Street I saw 2230 which was the 5th car from the south motor. The end rollsign had a (1) but under the "1" in the red bullet had "Chambers St." with "St." underneath "Chambers". I did not have a chance to get a pic, but IIRC, someone from here has a pic of that.

• 1 year later...

Today at 137 Street I saw 2230 which was the 5th car from the south motor. The end rollsign had a (1) but under the "1" in the red bullet had "Chambers St." with "St." underneath "Chambers". I did not have a chance to get a pic, but IIRC, someone from here has a pic of that.

I know that your post is way old, but I found a video of this tonight. Here's the link.

Thats interesting. Ive actually heard of this but never seen it.

What I dont understand is why "14 Street" is not in the south destination roll and "168 Street" is not in the North Destination roll (side sign) where alot of the (1) train G.O.'s use them as terminals :confused:.

anyway nice catch!

I have also seen a (7) train with a

<7>

Express

rollsign

Yes, Ive seen it on a local train too.

I remember once I boarded a (7) train at Junction Blvd. The front sign was blank, so I went & told the T/O. When he opened his cab door he started to yell at me "so? look at the side signs, thats where people always look at!". I still dont understand why he yelled at me instead of saying, "thank you for notifying me, ill fix it later".

Anyway, about an hour later I saw it coming back the other way with a <7> sign.

Oh boy. Even more options.

I wonder if they just added those options onto the existing rollsigns, perhaps by pasting them over the unused route bullets or "Special" and "Not in Service". That's what they did with some of the Redbird side rollsigns when the Lenox Avenue trackbed had to be rebuilt in the late 90s. There were two options "(2) to Bronx | (5) to Manhattan" and (5) to Bronx | (2) to Manhattan" and they were pasted over the (1) and (3) side signs because Redbirds didn't operate on the (1) or (3) lines. The reason I think they may have added those (1) options to the R62A rollsigns is because the video shows the (1), (9) and (2) bullets in the Standard (Aksidenz) font and they are in that order. I would think that new rollsigns wouldn't have the (9) bullet and definitely not between (1) and (2).

Archived