Woodhaven blvd... an express stop?

blkfire765

i read somewhere, today, that the woodhaven blvd/slattery plaza station on the queens blvd line was built so there is space for a possible future conversion to and express stop... is this true and also would it be a good idea? would it be possible???

Actually two malls, heh. There is another one across the street from QC. And plus, that area is attracting many residents.

Oh yes, the one with the State-Of-The-Art 1964 World' Fair twisted building. That mall used to be entirely owned by Macy's until the late 90s. It was really fun driving up that parking lot back then. Sorry for going off topic.

It'd be cool to have an express stop there, although I've generally had zero difficulty transferring to the (R)(V) (and rarely) (G) at Forest Hills. I got freinds who live right near the Elmhurst Ave. station, so I've become used to "rushing to the other side" ritual.

There are only two current platforms though, correct?

Since Woodhaven Blvd already has two side platforms, would the conversion just be adding a center platform like Penn Station to save money? It would make most sense b/c adding two island platforms means to drill 8 holes (4 stairwells on each platform) whereas a center platform would be 4.

Since Woodhaven Blvd already has two side platforms, would the conversion just be adding a center platform like Penn Station to save money? It would make most sense b/c adding two island platforms means to drill 8 holes (4 stairwells on each platform) whereas a center platform would be 4.

No, it won't be a Penn Station set up, where there are 3 platforms. According to the concept, there will still be two platforms. It's just that the side platforms will be rendered into island platforms. The local tracks will flank the side of the platform (currently the wall, or the space in the back of the wall), and the platform would probably be extended over the current local tracks.

Now, on the subject of Woodhaven Blvd, should QC get its own entrance to the subway station? Just wondering.

The passageway might be a bit long, but I don't see why not...

There are bellmouths allowing the possibility of both local tracks to curve right before Woodhaven Blvd. so they stop on the other side of the platform. The old local tracks would then be ripped up and replaced with platform so they would become island platforms.

Or, don't forget a super-express setup:

Build 2 trackways around the platforms, thus rendering the current local tracks as express tracks and the current express tracks as super-express tracks.

Kind of like DeKalb, just without the interlocking.

Or, don't forget a super-express setup:

Build 2 trackways around the platforms, thus rendering the current local tracks as express tracks and the current express tracks as super-express tracks.

Kind of like DeKalb, just without the interlocking.

The plan intends to keep the existing express tracks as THE express tracks and rip out the local tracks to extend the platform over. There's inadequate space between the local track and the proposed track for a good express station. And plus, what's the need for the super express service?

i dont think woodhaven blvd will ever be an express stop because its only 3 stops from continental and 2 from roosevelt and that would defeat teh purpose of the express and to remodel that station would lead to astrnomical costs it wont happen

i dont think woodhaven blvd will ever be an express stop because its only 3 stops from continental and 2 from roosevelt and that would defeat teh purpose of the express and to remodel that station would lead to astrnomical costs it wont happen

If there is the demand and if there is a away to reduce the cost, it could be done. And it doesn't necessarily defeat the purpose of an express service. Consider the 8th Avenue Line in Manhattan. 59th Street (express), 50th Street (local), PABT-42nd Street (express), 34th Street-Penn Station (express), 23rd Street (local), 14th Street (express), West 4th (express), Spring (local), Canal (express)...does that defeat the purpose of the 8th Avenue Express? Consider the 7th Avenue Express as well. Skipping 2-3 stops before stopping another one does not necessarily defeat the purpose of express service. There is a growing community out there and an increasing number of shoppers are using public transporation.

true there is a growing community and many shoppers but to placate the many shoppers and commuters the the mta has put are at least 10 bus routes the provide frequent serviice to the area including the q60 which goes into manhattan

true there is a growing community and many shoppers but to placate the many shoppers and commuters the the mta has put are at least 10 bus routes the provide frequent serviice to the area including the q60 which goes into manhattan

Well so?

If there is a growing demand, I am sure a substantial number of people would prefer express service than a bus service.

as far as demand i could think of three other stations that demand express service including 161st on the (4) and (D),59st columbus circle on the (1) and 74st broadway on the (7) these would be stations that are more in demand of express service than woodhaven blvd

as far as demand i could think of three other stations that demand express service including 161st on the (4) and (D),59st columbus circle on the (1) and 74st broadway on the (7) these would be stations that are more in demand of express service than woodhaven blvd

I'll tell you this, converting this station into an express station is far much easier than converting those stations. The plan involves sending the current local tracks on new tracks that flank the existing platform. And then rip up the old local tracks and extend the platforms. Not so bad.

However, with the (1) train, you have to do a lot. And with the (4) and the (7), you would have to rebuild that certain part of the structure in order to allow for it to happen. Remember what happened with the trackwork on the (7)? The entire part from Woodside to Flushing got shut down for several weekends. I don't think Flushing or Corona residents would like to see déjà vu.

I'll tell you this, converting this station into an express station is far much easier than converting those stations. The plan involves sending the current local tracks on new tracks that flank the existing platform. And then rip up the old local tracks and extend the platforms. Not so bad.

However, with the (1) train, you have to do a lot. And with the (4) and the (7), you would have to rebuild that certain part of the structure in order to allow for it to happen. Remember what happened with the trackwork on the (7)? The entire part from Woodside to Flushing got shut down for several weekends. I don't think Flushing or Corona residents would like to see déjà vu.

Before I respond to these posts, let me say that I would like to see an express station at Woodhaven. It would allow me to take the express to the mall upstairs instead of the local, so it would be faster if I have to go there from Manhattan or somewhere else with a subway, which isn't infrequent. That said, converting the station would take a lot of time and money, not to mention inconveniencing everyone who uses that station for school and to go to said mall and whatnot. So I don't think it will happen, at least not in the near future.

Now for the above posts, specifically regarding the (7). While having an express station at 74th St would be convenient for those making the transfer, I think the <7> is already crowded enough without the people who make the transfer. I actually think it's better as a local stop. Plus, the reasons that MTR said above.

The passageway might be a bit long, but I don't see why not...
Why would it be a long passageway? It's on the other side of the wall. (Are you thinking about Queens Place -the round building? That would be closer to Grand anyway).

Why would it be a long passageway? It's on the other side of the wall. (Are you thinking about Queens Place -the round building? That would be closer to Grand anyway).

Actually I was only thinking in terms of one exit. I forgot that Woodhaven has more than one exit, plus the fact that most of the stations on Queens Blvd. have full mezzanines.

Archived