Woodhaven blvd... an express stop?

blkfire765

While it would be cool to see Woodhaven as an express stop, it'll be a bit more work than just ripping down a wall, ripping up track, extending platform and laying new track.

In order for it to be converted, the station would have to be closed. While there are bellmouths, I'm pretty sure there are no trackways behind the walls of the current platforms. I was on an R42 V a lil while back and got a great view of them and from what I remember, it looks like the bellmouth was the end of construction. Nothing but a nice smooth cement wall, no wood or cinderblocks to be knocked down to reveal more tunnel. But I'll have to double check to be sure though.

If what I said above is the case, here's what would have to be done:

-Closure of Manhattan or Jamaica bound platform (only one side at a time)

-Tear down of outer wall and stairwells

-Newly construct tunnel/trackway behind "wall" connecting to bellmouths

-Lay track and install new signals

-Finish off platform edge on new local side

-Rip up current local track and extend platform to express tracks

-Connect new tracks to old

-Construct new stairwells (where the old local track would be)

-Finish off platform edges/tiles/lighting/etc

-Open new side to public.

-Repeat for other side.

The (1) at columbus circle is part of the original 1904 line and would require a lot of work, so no. Not to mention there is surrounding transfers for the (2) and (3) at 42nd street and 72nd street.

What is so wrong with taking a queens blvd local a few stops to get on an express line. The (4) and the (D) are express uptown to Yankee Stadium, I don't get the point trying to be made there.

Archived