Port Authority puts screws to developer Silverstein on Ground Zero construction

Harry

The Port Authority for the first time on Friday spelled out a scenario in which it could strip Larry Silverstein of the three iconic skyscrapers he plans to build at Ground Zero.

Agency brass say that within the next two months, they'll turn over "construction-ready land" to the developer - and stop paying him $300,000-a-day in late fees they've paid for more than a year.

The handover of the World Trade Center parcel will start the clock ticking on a contractual deal that requires Silverstein to construct the Church St. buildings within five years - or else.

"He will be in default, and the conclusion of that will be - and I emphasize the word conclusion - that the Port Authority would take title to all three towers," said Chris Ward, the agency's executive director.

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/07/24/2009-07-24_port_authority_to_silverstein_build_towers_or_lose_them.html#ixzz0MBNeWkSc

post-1-133288580652_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580652_thumb.jpg

We need to see some progress over there. While Tower 4, the Freedom Tower and the Memorial are well underway, the two towers (T2 and T3) are still not built yet. And it is rather shameful.

On a lighter note, there are plans to move the Performing Arts Centre to where Tower 5 is supposed to be (Deutsche Bank). That way, it doesn't have to wait till 2015 (when the temporary PATH structure gets demolished) for construction.

Is it too much to ask for a PATH station not open to the elements, with a proper connection to the (1), (E), (R), (W)? Really, 8 years? The comcast center, and related transit project belowground there took 3 years from empty lot to finished.

Lets go all ready! :mad:

- A

They should just rebuild the World Trade Center like the way it used to be... sigh.

But again, we're well underway on much of the project. The Freedom Tower is more than a hundred feet high, the memorial is now at grade and T4 is going to be at grade level soon. The only part that is stalling is evidently, T2 and T3. I would like to see the original Twin Towers built there, but such action would require additional planning, politics, funding and all that fun stuff. Plus more delays.

But again, we're well underway on much of the project. The Freedom Tower is more than a hundred feet high, the memorial is now at grade and T4 is going to be at grade level soon. The only part that is stalling is evidently, T2 and T3. I would like to see the original Twin Towers built there, but such action would require additional planning, politics, funding and all that fun stuff. Plus more delays.

Point taken but I don't see how you call grade level "well underway"...:D just kidding...

Point taken but I don't see how you call grade level "well underway"...:D just kidding...

Hey man, given all of this political nonsense and stuff like that, we should be grateful to at least see something there. I've been keeping track of construction activity in the area.

-Goldman Sachs HQ, although an unrelated project, is wrapping up

-Work has started outside the Winter Garden on a headhouse that would connect to the underground pedestrian passageway connecting the WFC to the WTC and the FSTC

-The contract for the A/C Mezzanine at the FSTC has been awarded (according to the last update), work should begin in Q4 of this year

-Steel work for the Freedom Tower is at least 130 feet above grade

I will continue to supply you guys with the latest news from there.

Hey man, given all of this political nonsense and stuff like that, we should be grateful to at least see something there. I've been keeping track of construction activity in the area.

-Goldman Sachs HQ, although an unrelated project, is wrapping up

-Work has started outside the Winter Garden on a headhouse that would connect to the underground pedestrian passageway connecting the WFC to the WTC and the FSTC

-The contract for the A/C Mezzanine at the FSTC has been awarded (according to the last update), work should begin in Q4 of this year

-Steel work for the Freedom Tower is at least 130 feet above grade

I will continue to supply you guys with the latest news from there.

Don't forget that the new Tower 7 was completed three years ago.

Don't forget that the new Tower 7 was completed three years ago.

Tower 7 is not part of the new WTC redevelopment, despite the name. It only received the name because it stood where the original 7 WTC stood before. It's a separate building, but many still believe it is part of the new WTC.

Tower 7 is not part of the new WTC redevelopment, despite the name. It only received the name because it stood where the original 7 WTC stood before. It's a separate building, but many still believe it is part of the new WTC.

It's designed by Childs, developed by Silverstein, and it fits into the rest of the complex architecturally, so I don't see why one can't include it...

It's designed by Childs, developed by Silverstein, and it fits into the rest of the complex architecturally, so I don't see why one can't include it...

It's simply not included as part of the complex. A building designed by Childs and developed by Larry does not mean it is 8 WTC or 9 WTC or 10 WTC etc... The new WTC complex master plan does not feature 7 WTC as part of the complex.

Archived