A few questions about the LIRR

Pu3rToRoCk8947

Forgive me for asking these questions if they have been answered already.

Question 1-I have a bet between me and my friend,winner gets to buy lunch for a week,which LIRR branch is the busiest in terms of high ridership? i say the Port Jefferson Branch,my friend says Ronkokoma Branch

Question 2-If the Bay Ridge Branch was ever to be reopened for service,would todays rolling stock meet with the tunnel clearances?

Question 3-Does anyone know what stations once existed along the Bay Ridge Branch?

Question 4-Can a LIRR MU or DM engine operate on Metro-North tracks?

Haha, I'm trying to find some good stats for Question 1, but I can't seem to pull up the magic page. I'm sure someone else will figure it out.

Questions 2 & 3:

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/bayridgeLIRR/bayridge.LIRR.html

http://www.lirrhistory.com/Bayridge.html

These will give you some interesting info & pictures about the Bay Ridge branch. Being that freight does still roll through there, I don't see why clearances should be an issue, what would be is track condition and the current grade crossings. I'm sure if ideas like the Cross-Harbor tunnel ever come close to fruition, or the area really gets built up residential-ly, passenger trains might once again make an appearance, although I doubt it. It'd be cool to see more freight action there, though.

Question 4:

LIRR MUs are not compatible to the Metro-North due to the a different third-rail design. There are guys here that have FAR more knowledge than me on this issue.

The Bay Ridge Branch is 100% grade crossing eliminated. Only grade crossings in NYC:

LIRR Lower Montauk Branch (all active)

NYA Bushwick Branch (all passive)

Little Neck Pkwy, Port Washington Branch (active)

A few private/public crossings on SI

And the one most people forget:

The NYCH street running in industrial Brooklyn.

Database of all crossings in America.

LIRR MUs are not compatible to the Metro-North due to the a different third-rail design. There are guys here that have FAR more knowledge than me on this issue.

To expand on this, LIRR uses a standard over-running third rail virtually identical to that of the subway. Metro-North (and Amtrak's trackage into Penn Station as well, for that matter) employs an under-running third rail design, with the shoe picking up current from the bottom of the rail rather than from the top. The two systems are not compatible with each other given the power collection technology currently used on our commuter rail MUs.

The Bay Ridge Branch is 100% grade crossing eliminated. Only grade crossings in NYC:

LIRR Lower Montauk Branch (all active)

NYA Bushwick Branch (all passive)

Little Neck Pkwy, Port Washington Branch (active)

A few private/public crossings on SI

And the one most people forget:

The NYCH street running in industrial Brooklyn.

Database of all crossings in America.

Ah, must have confused it with the Bushwick branch, apologies.

Question 1-I have a bet between me and my friend,winner gets to buy lunch for a week,which LIRR branch is the busiest in terms of high ridership? i say the Port Jefferson Branch,my friend says Ronkokoma Branch

Question 2-If the Bay Ridge Branch was ever to be reopened for service,would todays rolling stock meet with the tunnel clearances?

Question 3-Does anyone know what stations once existed along the Bay Ridge Branch?

Question 4-Can a LIRR MU or DM engine operate on Metro-North tracks?

Penn Station had 203,982 total riders for week days for 2006 going in both east and west directions. So that line would be the most.

As for other lines, you have to figure it our yourself by putting together what stations are part of what lines and adding up the weekday and weekend ridership from the file I provided below.

I also have 2007 Metro North Railroad figures as well.

. Here is a list of MTA LIRR station ridership for the year 2006

http://www.geocities.com/metabolicist4/MTA_LIRR2006PassengerCounts.pdf

Penn Station had 203,982 total riders for week days for 2006 going in both east and west directions. So that line would be the most.

That's not a line. A branch is a line which is represented by its eastern terminal. The City Terminal Zone is not considered to be a branch, but rather a group of branches.

Then you are definitely buying lunch.

For stations east of Hicksville (average daily ridership):

Port Jefferson Branch: 31,782

Ronkonkoma Branch: 42,174 plus 121 between Ronkonkoma and Greenport.

You cannot count the stations between New Hyde Park and Hicksville since both branches serve that corridor.

Let's just hope your friend doesn't have high tastes.

only Huntington bound trains stop at those intermediate stops, Ronkonkoma Trains stop at Mineola and Hicksville only then go onward from Bethpage to Ronkonkoma.

Hollis, Queens Village, Bellerose, and Floral Park are only served by Hempstead bound trains.

^ if you hold true to your word, you're still buying lunch ;)

Not a question in my mind that there's more passengers that ride the Ronkonkoma over the Port Jeff'.... Not sure if you ever been to Ronkonkoma, but it isn't only Ronkonkoma residents that utilize that branch... There are far more people that drive to LIRR Ronkonkoma from the east, then ppl. driving (period) that board @ Pt. Jeff... The Montauk/Greenport branches aren't near as frequent - which is the reason so many drive to Ronkonkoma....

Of course you don't have to believe any of us... but first hand observation will eliminate all doubt(s) you may have....

Oh i am keeping my word on the deal i made with my friend,lunch is on me lol.I have been to Ronkonkoma and Port Jefferson stations before,during the afternoon PM Peak runs,very hard to get a seat when i do catch one of them in Jamaica.Have to do some more railfanning on the Ronkonkoma line,some one told me the old Republic station is after Farmingdale station.

Archived