5 Brighton Stations to be renovated, with the loss of Brighton (B) express service

Matt91

Wait... so they're rebuilding Avenue H and M but not Avenue J? Why? While I don't think this Brighton rehab work is completely necessary (although Kings Highway and newkirk need it badly) I don't think it makes sense to rehab all of the embankment stations except Avenue J. Considering Avenue J is my home stop, I'm offended. Yet I am happy at the same time because it gives me more time to look at the old station, which dates back to 1907, another solid look though.

Wait... so they're rebuilding Avenue H and M but not Avenue J? Why? While I don't think this Brighton rehab work is completely necessary (although Kings Highway and newkirk need it badly) I don't think it makes sense to rehab all of the embankment stations except Avenue J. Considering Avenue J is my home stop, I'm offended. Yet I am happy at the same time because it gives me more time to look at the old station, which dates back to 1907, another solid look though.

They are rebuilding Avenue J; they're just gonna build a temp platform there instead of shutting it down.

As much as I'd like to talk about the state of disrepair my home line is in, I still think Brighton's rehabilitation is warranted, and since they already started on some of the stations, it makes sense to just keep going ahead with the repairs in hopes that it'll be done soon. I really want to see how this is going to work out with the switches, local on the express, etc.

If Ave U and Neck Rd completley close and the (Q) (:D cant bypass there,does this mean that the (Q)(B) can terminate at Kings Hwy and the (N) gets extended passed CI to Lower Brighton and terminate at Sheepshead Bay or something?

AFAIK, those two stations will not completely close. They are only alternating sides.

• 3 weeks later...
Running local on the express tracks? Thats odd. Where would we get off? On the ballast?

i remember years ago just after they switched the (M) to west end they ran the (D)<Q> skip-stop service because they were repainting cortelyou & beverley rd stations they ran all the manhattan-bound trains on the exp. tracks and had temporary platforms built on top of the local tracks. actually during that time there was no brighton express service for a while until they rinished then the (Q) brighton express was born

I hope not. Those people should realize that if nothing is done, those stations could become a safety hazard.

...And if your main reason for the repairs is for safety reasons, then the general public will generally go along with the temporary inconvenience, as they see it as (MTA) cares about the safety of their riders.

I hope not. Those people should realize that if nothing is done, those stations could become a safety hazard.

The Brighton Line stations are a little crummy and old, but I can assure you, they are not as worn down as the Sea Beach line, look at their stairs, platforms, or leaks. I don't see why (MTA) should waste their money on repairing stations like Newkirk and Avenue J, but if the (MTA) say they can pose a safety hazard, who's to stop them. But I bet people who rely on the line, aren't too happy.

The Brighton Line stations are a little crummy and old, but I can assure you, they are not as worn down as the Sea Beach line, look at their stairs, platforms, or leaks. I don't see why (MTA) should waste their money on repairing stations like Newkirk and Avenue J, but if the (MTA) say they can pose a safety hazard, who's to stop them. But I bet people who rely on the line, aren't too happy.

Have to disagree man. The Brighton Line is in bad shape. Have you looked at the platforms from the opposite side? They're wavy!:eek: It dips up and down. These stations need so much work..;)

Oh ok, and yeah totally agreed about Sea Beach. Not that Brighton couldn't use a rehab, but it really should come second to the N.

On a related note, I wonder if this will mean an increased demand for those rush hour F express trains? I'm sure riders that are right in the middle of choosing either the brighton or Culver lines would want the F to have more express service now that the B will be local.

Oh ok, and yeah totally agreed about Sea Beach. Not that Brighton couldn't use a rehab, but it really should come second to the N.

On a related note, I wonder if this will mean an increased demand for those rush hour F express trains? I'm sure riders that are right in the middle of choosing either the brighton or Culver lines would want the F to have more express service now that the B will be local.

Good point there. Since one line has lost express service, that means another line may have to take over for the time being. I don't see why not, but now which line would be picking up the slack?

The express buses might get a peak in ridership because of this G.O. However even if the (B) is running local its still faster than the express bus lol.

That I agree! Even if there's very little traffic, I find the B/Q to be faster to/from Midtown Manhattan then the X29 and BM3. To/From Downtown it's about the same.

I can see people that normally bus it over to the Brighton may choose to use the Express Bus instead so I would expect the BM1,BM3,and BM4 to have a bit of a increase in ridership from people who don't feel like putting up with the work that's going on

I am hearing something about shuttle buses for 2 weekends between Prospect Park and Brighton Beach or Kings Highway. I am hearing for the weekends of the 19/20 and 26/27 however it may also be the weekend of 12/13 as there is a G.O. notice for the B ending early on Friday Night 9/11 and 9/18 online so there's a chance that the Q Shuttle Bus G.O. is going to start late Friday Night on those 2 evenings. The Q Shuttle Bus G.O. is not online yet!

Archived