Should Sunday regular/'full express' service begin at 8am?

Shortline Bus

In relation to the recent letter i wrote to NYCT President Roberts, another idea guys?

In order for funding to be made available so that late evening service could be increased and also the (C) and (R) could run until about 1230am every night, how about this idea?

On Sundays and Major Holidays should 'regular subway service begin' ( Ie weekend express service) at 8am instead of currently around 6am? Often on Sunday mornings and even on mornings of major holidays like New Years, Christmas, etc. ridership on almost ever subway line is lower even lower than on late evening 7 days a week?

If this idea happens, trains would still in most cases run every 12-15 minutes from 530am-8am, but the late night systemwide service would remain until 8am Sundays only? This change would cost the MTA little or nothing and would put the manpower on increasing late evening service which is growing?

What you guys think? Reactions?:eek:

even though it is a weekend the services starting at the same time is for the sake of the work scheduals. 6AM is the start of a new day on the subway.

On weekdays that's when expanded service begins. Rush hour service begins as early as 6 and would continue on until 9 a.m. As for weekend service, it's just weekend service. There were times that Saturdays and Sundays were not consolidated together into schedules (some patterns won't run on Sundays). It still exists though, but I don't think riders should be deprived with less service just because its a Sunday, or even the weekend in general.

On weekdays that's when expanded service begins. Rush hour service begins as early as 6 and would continue on until 9 a.m. As for weekend service, it's just weekend service. There were times that Saturdays and Sundays were not consolidated together into schedules (some patterns won't run on Sundays). It still exists though, but I don't think riders should be deprived with less service just because its a Sunday, or even the weekend in general.

This is not a service cut. The monies used to start regular service on sundays at 8am would be used instead to pay for expanded late evening service on all lines until at least 1230am.

What I was trying to say is that the employee work sechdual is broken up into blocks by time of day starting at 6AM 7 days a week. moving the start of regual service will disrupt that pattern, which is why they'll never do it.

The 'work day' could still start at 6am Sundays. And between 6am-8am all trains would run every 12-15 minutes. The only difference is express service would begin at 8am. Karmen have you been on a train on a subway morning?

Brief story. At the end of the Christmas/New Years holidays, i arrived home to JFK from California on a Sunday morning 1/4/09 and part of the trip invloved using the (E) train after using the airtrain to Jamaica.

At 8am that day, that Manhattan bound (E) was empty almost the whole ride from Kew Gardens to Lex-53rd Street. Until Queens Plaza i was the only rider on the subway car.

Yet on other hand riding the (4) even at 1230am reguarly transfering to Metro North at 42-Grand Central, it SRO. And yet why not transfer manpower/resources to run express services until 1230am.

The 'work day' could still start at 6am Sundays. And between 6am-8am all trains would run every 12-15 minutes. The only difference is express service would begin at 8am. Karmen have you been on a train on a subway morning?

Brief story. At the end of the Christmas/New Years holidays, i arrived home to JFK from California on a Sunday morning 1/4/09 and part of the trip invloved using the (E) train after using the airtrain to Jamaica.

At 8am that day, that Manhattan bound (E) was empty almost the whole ride from Kew Gardens to Lex-53rd Street. Until Queens Plaza i was the only rider on the subway car.

Yet on other hand riding the (4) even at 1230am reguarly transfering to Metro North at 42-Grand Central, it SRO. And yet why not transfer manpower/resources to run express services until 1230am.

The (4) already runs express until around 12:30am S/B, and after 1am N/B

The (4) runs at best every 12 minutes until after 9am. The (5) should run later though, especially on weekends.

The (4) already runs express until around 12:30am S/B, and after 1am N/B

The (4) runs at best every 12 minutes until after 9am. The (5) should run later though, especially on weekends.

I know the (4) runs the latest in terms of Manhattan express service(other than the (Q) and (D) which both run all night other than 'go's.)That would remain the same.

By starting the Sunday full time service at 8am, lines that end early at around 1130pm mainly the (R) and (C) could run until 1230am 7 days a week.

I know the (4) runs the latest in terms of Manhattan express service(other than the (Q) and (D) which both run all night other than 'go's.)That would remain the same.

By starting the Sunday full time service at 8am, lines that end early at around 1130pm mainly the (R) and (C) could run until 1230am 7 days a week.

Cutting the (V) after 10pm would be better than cutting back Sunday morning service which isn't full time until after 8am anyway, (3) and (5) are still running their late night routes after 7:30am on Sunday mornings...

In relation to the recent letter i wrote to NYCT President Roberts, another idea guys?

In order for funding to be made available so that late evening service could be increased and also the (C) and (R) could run until about 1230am every night, how about this idea?

On Sundays and Major Holidays should 'regular subway service begin' ( Ie weekend express service) at 8am instead of currently around 6am? Often on Sunday mornings and even on mornings of major holidays like New Years, Christmas, etc. ridership on almost ever subway line is lower even lower than on late evening 7 days a week?

If this idea happens, trains would still in most cases run every 12-15 minutes from 530am-8am, but the late night systemwide service would remain until 8am Sundays only? This change would cost the MTA little or nothing and would put the manpower on increasing late evening service which is growing?

What you guys think? Reactions?:eek:

That's actually not a bad idea. The trains tend to be quite empty on Sunday early mornings.

Starting express service later would actually cost the MTA more money on Sundays on the (2) and (4) lines (unless headways were increased with the same number of trainsets).

I think only these changes should be done

Having the (R) Shuttle run longer until around the same time the (3) and (5) have full Sunday service. Of course the (G) would actually have to run to 71 Av to help the (E) out in Queens. I'm not sure if Queens riders would like having the (E) run local any longer on Sundays though.

The first two (C) trips on Sunday mornings (which currently run with 20 minute headways) could be eliminated in both directions if needed for minor savings.

The (A) would have 2 extra trips running local, the (N) would have to run via tunnel for 2+ hours more on Sundays.

The (2) and (4) will continue to run express in Manhattan on early Sunday mornings like they do now.

The majority of the savings of course would come from the (R) on Sundays. If the (E) is usually empty in Queens then running it local shouldn't be much of a problem running local for another 2 hours at least. The first 8-10 full (R) trains in both directions could be cut back to shuttles if needed.

Starting express service later would actually cost the MTA more money on Sundays on the (2) and (4) lines (unless headways were increased with the same number of trainsets).

I think only these changes should be done

Having the (R) Shuttle run longer until around the same time the (3) and (5) have full Sunday service. Of course the (G) would actually have to run to 71 Av to help the (E) out in Queens. I'm not sure if Queens riders would like having the (E) run local any longer on Sundays though.

The first two (C) trips on Sunday mornings (which currently run with 20 minute headways) could be eliminated in both directions if needed for minor savings.

The (A) would have 2 extra trips running local, the (N) would have to run via tunnel for 2+ hours more on Sundays.

The (2) and (4) will continue to run express in Manhattan on early Sunday mornings like they do now.

The majority of the savings of course would come from the (R) on Sundays. If the (E) is usually empty in Queens then running it local shouldn't be much of a problem running local for another 2 hours at least. The first 8-10 full (R) trains in both directions could be cut back to shuttles if needed.

Actally that is close to what i was thinking of for these changes on Sunday Mornings until around 8am. Thanks for making it clear for me GreatOne2k.:tup: I forget to add in the (2) and (4) would still start 'express' service at 6am.

FYI. Most major subway service globally(except for Chicago's CTA, & Phildelphia area's Patco) do not run at all overnights and on Sundays at least here in US/Canada most start service at around 7-8am.

• 2 weeks later...

This is New York City, if you're going to consider a later starting time for express trains on Sundays, I would say maybe 7:00am but that is about as late as I would consider. Twenty minute headways for local trains on Sundays might be okay until 6:00am.

Sunday just isn't the day off it used to be. People shop, go to restaurants, attend concerts and sports events, visit parks and work now as well as attend church.

This is New York City, if you're going to consider a later starting time for express trains on Sundays, I would say maybe 7:00am but that is about as late as I would consider. Twenty minute headways for local trains on Sundays might be okay until 6:00am.

Sunday just isn't the day off it used to be. People shop, go to restaurants, attend concerts and sports events, visit parks and work now as well as attend church.

7am is good compromise to start Sunday express service. Personally i think the Greatone2k plan above is the best proposal for Sunday so far in this thread. My point is the need to run late evening express until at least Midnight is that important. Sunday morning service until 8am is the lightest ridership on any time period now in nyc subway.

They certainly don't go shopping or to church at 6am in the morning.

I think Hudson River and Great One2K have some pretty good ideas here.

Archived