Your favorite subway seat?

rockdove

Though I will sit when the train is not too crowded, and I am happy to be sitting as it becomes very crowded, I generally dislike the lumbar support on the R142/R160 benches. I have mild back pain and I do not like any seat (no matter how soft) that makes the middle of my back sink in -- which these benches do very well, unfortunately.

Also, the grip bar in the center of the bench can cause excess crowding on one side when the space distributed evenly would leave everyone sitting comfortably. They ought to have made it adjustable to slightly left or right. (But I suppose that's another thing that could break down).

I much prefer the simple, flat benches of the earlier generation trains, but I don't see those much. I believe this type is the easiest for my back. Of the current options, I prefer the bucket seats -- except when there are people sitting both to the right and left of me. That's why I dislike the bench type of format like the (1) train -- the only good seats are on the ends. All the other seats force you into pre-determined spaces that force you to huddle inward, which is bad for my back. We're intelligent enough to allocate space -- and there is no one-size fits all, as you can tell by people who take 1.5 bucket seats of space, and thus, two entire seats. Are these pre-determined spaces really necessary/beneficial?

And back to the topic -- How do you find the seats on the R142/R160? And which variety is your favorite?

I like the benches on the R32 the best. The buckets would come second, except for the reasons rockdove stated above. Therefore the benches on the NTTs come second, followed by the buckets. The benches on the R40/R42 are the worst.

Best (IMO): Bucket

Runner up: NTT

Acceptable: R32/R38. What I don't like about the R32/R38 seats is that you can rest your head against the wall behind the seat comfortably. My neck would be at too big of an angle.

The benches on the R40/R42 are the worst.

You could say that again! :mad::tdown: I hate those seats, it's like they're trying to make me weak and in pain for the rest of the day? :tdown:

Since I'm skinny and have no meat on my bottom, I prefer bucket seats. My second preference are the R26-R38 seats as their backrests are high enough to be satisfactory and the seats themselves contour my bottom. The NTT benches are just too flat and their backrests are unusually contoured. As for the R40/R42 seats, I seriously don't why those designs were even considered.

The private booth, with the upholstered seat and a view.. ;)

I like the 44/46 cause I can sit facing the direction of train travel, and I can wedge my bag on the floor, between the seats & lock it there with my leg in case I 'nod' off my bag will be there when I awaken.. But I don't like riding in the passenger section traveling the system.. Any service problems or disruptions, and everyone thinks I am responsible or know the answer to any question.. I'm usually just commuting as they are, but happen to be a (MTA) uniform..

By the way, I can't tell the difference between the R32/40/42 benches - they look the same from the photos.

They look the same, but they feel very different. You'd have to sit in them for yourself -- I can't describe them very well, except the R40/42 benches feel shallower.

I vote bucket seats too. Rapid Transit TO already pointed out some of the advantages. The seats are well-defined (something the new blue seats on some of the R44/46s aren't), unlike the benches which nominally seat 6 or 7 people per bench but in practice is taken up by only 4 or 5 passengers and their belongings (there is nothing to prevent them from keeping their bags next to them, or wanting to keep 4-5 inches between themselves and the riders to their sides). Also, late nights, or whenever the trains are not crowded, it is possible to prop up one's legs on the seats along the wall while seated in a transverse seat. (It might not seem very decent to some, but it does make late night journeys less tiring, and I never put my shoe on the seats, I make my feet jut out with my shins resting on the seats).

But the best "seat" is actually standing at the railfan window watching the track appear in front of the train. I got to view the 7 minute stretch of flat track between Broad Channel and Howard Beach today. Though it was on an R44, the door to the cab area did not have a tinted/dark window, and I was able to see out. The same position on an R32 is just as good.

Ah, yes the foamer window. I tried that once or twice and this one time on the (W) headed downtown, there was a group of decent looking chicks that were near me. They gave me a look as if to say, "why are you looking out the front of the train when there are plenty of seats open". Probably one of the last times I did this.

Also I like it when the T/O has the newspaper or something else up to obscure the view out of the front, the foamer window turns into the a**hole window. No offense.

... Any service problems or disruptions, and everyone thinks I am responsible or know the answer to any question.. I'm usually just commuting as they are, but happen to be a (MTA) uniform..

Personally, my favorite seat is in my Lexus. As a passenger I won't ride the subway even two stops. I did it for too many years and I don't want to do it anymore.

But when it is necessary that I take the train after finishing work (after doing say a trip and a half on the (F) or working a job in Midtown/Lower Manhattan where parking is impossible), I wear a t-shirt underneath my (MTA) work shirt. The instant I finish, that (MTA) shirt comes off and gets stuffed right into my work bag. If something goes down, I don't want to know about it.

Also I like it when the T/O has the newspaper or something else up to obscure the view out of the front, the foamer window turns into the a**hole window. No offense.

Some T/O's do this all the time, I only do it when too much exterior light enters my cab and obstructs my view of the tracks. Sorry, but I'd rather see the Signal Maintainer on the tracks rather than the passenger see him first.

I like the 44/46 cause I can sit facing the direction of train travel, and I can wedge my bag on the floor, between the seats & lock it there with my leg in case I 'nod' off my bag will be there when I awaken.. But I don't like riding in the passenger section traveling the system.. Any service problems or disruptions, and everyone thinks I am responsible or know the answer to any question.. I'm usually just commuting as they are, but happen to be a (MTA) uniform..

I see alot of T/O and C/Os that ride in an empty cab when they are heading to or from their destination when they are not on duty yet instead of sitting with the public.

For everyone including myself, you all know that bucket seats are never coming back to the subway b/c of one ridiculous reason circulating NYC.

And they are doing away with latitudinal seating. All seating will be longitudinal. Many other US cities are doing it or have plans to implement it.

Archived