Your favorite subway seat?

rockdove

I hate the benches on the r32 and r38 because i think they are too high, Im 6 '5 and I like to lean my head on the advertisment boards but on the r32 its slanted back so it irritates my neck so im gonna go with the buckets lol

Yeah, I agree. Whenever I try to rest my head on the wall, my neck would be at too big of an angle for comfort.

Yes, but which bench?

By the way, I can't tell the difference between the R32/40/42 benches - they look the same from the photos.

Since R32s have smaller windows than the latter two models, the backs of the seats are rather high. The seats are curved, and IMO these are the most comfortable bench seats (bucket seats are very comfortable too).

The R40 seats have short backs and straight bottoms so these can get bvery uncomfortable. The R42 seats are the same except they are curved.

The private booth, with the upholstered seat and a view.. :)

I like the 44/46 cause I can sit facing the direction of train travel, and I can wedge my bag on the floor, between the seats & lock it there with my leg in case I 'nod' off my bag will be there when I awaken.. But I don't like riding in the passenger section traveling the system.. Any service problems or disruptions, and everyone thinks I am responsible or know the answer to any question.. I'm usually just commuting as they are, but happen to be a (MTA) uniform..

i love the R44/R46 seats...

same for R68/R68A's.

R62/R62A's for the IRT lines.

Oh, I forgot! The seat you find on the R68/A towards the end of the car thats next to the narrow window, with the wall behind you!

I usually call that the hobo seat b/c it's usually occupied by bums or their belongings.

Well, the Bucket seats on the R-62/62A, 68/68A, 44 and 46. Since, I sometimes can have two seats since I am chubby and if there is few chubby people around, I will be able to have two seats due to the fact of many people disliking the feeling getting not-so-ample room.

A few chubby people... haha. I would say a majority in NYC hence why the new trains can't have bucket seats anymore.

Humm, guess that study saying NYC is the thinnest city in the nation is pretty wrong, ;).

It's an unfortunate truth, no offense to anyone. Anyway, I learned to stand in the NTT trains now that their suspensions are excellent but their seats kill my bottom and back.

I like the end seats on all of them. If someone must sit next to me, it's only one person. Because I am a bigger person, I'll make room for myself. The single seats on the R142/A-R143's are cool too but they tend to be too low.

My problem with the end seats is that they are almost always occupied by homeless people during the night. Even they are empty at times, I still don't prefer to take them b/c of my fear of disease. My only exception are the flipping seats at the operating ends of the A NTT cars as the seats are too small for the homeless to put their belongings on. It's unfortunate that they didn't install them on most of the R160As and all the R160Bs for increased standing room. Does anyone know if they will be retrofitted in the future?

My problem with the end seats is that they are almost always occupied by homeless people during the night. Even they are empty at times, I still don't prefer to take them b/c of my fear of disease. My only exception are the flipping seats at the operating ends of the A NTT cars as the seats are too small for the homeless to put their belongings on. It's unfortunate that they didn't install them on most of the R160As and all the R160Bs for increased standing room. Does anyone know if they will be retrofitted in the future?

Probably not, especially with the crackdown police have initiated on fining people who are taking designated "priority seating". It's real stupid, and it's just another way for them to make money. I don't think this rule will last very long.

Archived