07-25-09 NJT Test Train to New Haven and Back

Fred G

Something told me I should go up here and so I did. I was actually looking to catch teh P&W stone train returning but got surprised by this train.

01+NJT+ALP46+and+Multi-Levels+on+the+Hell+Gate+01.jpg

02+NJT+ALP+46+on+the+Hell+Gate.jpg

04+NJT+ALP+46+on+the+Hell+Gate+3.jpg

06+NJT+ALP46+and+Multi-Levels+on+the+Hell+Gate+03.jpg

Then the train got some company in the form of a CSX train..

08+NJT+meets+CSX+on+the+Hell+Gate.jpg

09+NJT+meets+CSX+on+the+Hell+Gate+2.jpg

Thanks for looking; I have some PM shots of same train returing I'll post up soon.

your pal,

Fred

Wow NJT over the Hells Gate! Great Pics!

Thanks, Mark!

Such amazing quality pics as usual.

Thanks, emmanuel295.

I was actually waiting for someone to take this!

Thanks, R44.

Excellent Pics and catch, Fred! And also, what is the zoom range on your cam?

Thanks R160 Maniac. I use a DSLR so I change lenses. My max zoom that I had along was 200mm which is roughly a 6x zoom (Think but don't know). Anyway that's the most zoom I had along.

Wow... Excellent Pictures!.... wish i got to catch that first hand I live right next to the Amtrak Hell Gate Line. I usually see Acela train sets, regionals and CSX freight runs. I would have been amazed to see (NJT) train set flying under the (6) El in the Bronx.

Nice work (F)!

I see Amtrak is finally publicly acknowledging its interest in the soon to be utilized ALP-46a & multilevels. Also this would be a very excellent evacuation train in case an atlantic storm decided to ride up the long island sound. Seeing as though the multilevels can fit through the smallest main line loading gauges in the country, i'll expect to see them picked up by more transit agencies as well.

- A

Nice work (F)!

I see Amtrak is finally publicly acknowledging its interest in the soon to be utilized ALP-46a & multilevels. Also this would be a very excellent evacuation train in case an atlantic storm decided to ride up the long island sound. Seeing as though the multilevels can fit through the smallest main line loading gauges in the country, i'll expect to see them picked up by more transit agencies as well.

- A

No Amtrak crews on those trains! Metro-North between New Haven and Penn Station, NJT crew takes over and train becomes a normal :nec: set. As for Amtrak and the 46a's that does not look like its going to happen unless they win the bid, Amtrak just placed a Request for proposal of new electric locomotives.

http://www.apta.com/passenger_transport/notices/archive_090708.cfm#b04

great catch!

btw anyone here know the logistics of this operation?

what exactly was the point of this run?

I believe this is the testing for the Giants Stadium train for selected Sundays this fall. And yes, Metro-North crews operate NJT equipment along the New Haven Line, making selected stops, and then they travel via the Hell Gate Bridge into New York Penn, where NJT crews take over to Secaucus. NJT equipment can handle the various voltages/cycles found along the aforementioned trackage, while Metro-North cannot. I'm amped for this service!

Archived