07-25-09 NJT Test Train to New Haven and Back

Fred G

So a few years after the 45's arrive i'm guessing a few will be conscripted to this run from end to end via the newly constructed connector loop..... What about trains from hoboken?

- A

So a few years after the 45's arrive i'm guessing a few will be conscripted to this run from end to end via the newly constructed connector loop..... What about trains from hoboken?

- A

Lets get the dual modes on property and see they work first:). But in theory you could do that. As for Hoboken they have the shuttle. Also lets see how this service does before we start talking about using them with the ARC loops.

Lets get the dual modes on property and see they work first:). But in theory you could do that. As for Hoboken they have the shuttle. Also lets see how this service does before we start talking about using them with the ARC loops.

Ok ok ok i let the inner rail geek in me out for a second. :eek: :)

I really want these new locos to work, and work really, really well, not just for my own sake, but i mean lets face it, since the GG1 DD2 etc we have been lacking in a "do it all" lineup of locos, i'm hoping the new generation ALP's will be that series, even if there's a full diesel for freight. My secret desire is to kinda rattle GE, EMD and get them thinking sleek, modern, good looking power that works as well as it looks, we had that once and i want it back goshangit! ;)

- A

great catch!

btw anyone here know the logistics of this operation?

what exactly was the point of this run?

As others have said, it was a test run for MN crews to be qualified on NJT equipment and the Hell Gate branch as well for the upcoming Meadowlands trains. The train runs from NYP to NHV. They've been testing on Saturdays and I have no idea what the schedule is. This catch was just dumb luck, which I'll accept. :)

Wait so they are technically training the crew for the MLVs, but not for the ALP-46s?

Locomotive controls i believe are pretty much standard, i believe the only real training needed is in the shop, which (NJT) would do anyways. The multilevels have different controls from single levels, ads they have no middle doors, but quarter point and end vestibule doors and end through doors, operating the AC and lights and stuff door bypasses and electronic sign control is mainly what would be tested here since locomotives in the usa have (as far as i know & have seen) pretty similar instrumentation & controls aside from maybe the metroliner cabs which are very different because they were modified.

- A

• 4 weeks later...
Nice. It's weird seeing something besides Amtrak on the Hells Gate

I agree! Great photo's and Amtrak can use financial assistance in the way of "toll fees" it would charge MTA/MN for its use of Amtrak from Shell to NYP, or to reduce its payment for using MN trackage from Shell to NHV.

Archived